Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Joe Walsh and Stevie Nicks

Default Joe Walsh and Stevie Nicks

I just posted a photo of Stevie and Joe together in his photo thread and I got to thinking how interesting it was that everyone always thinks of Don and Stevie, but Stevie has said that Joe is the only man besides Lindsey she ever considered marrying. She still talks about him as one of her "Great Loves," yet a lot of Joe fans don't even know they ever dated!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border EasyFeeling's Avatar

I was just going to ask for that as I saw that photo. I only knew about Don and her.

Quote Originally Posted by EasyFeeling
    I was just going to ask for that as I saw that photo. I only knew about Don and her.
    They had a relationship in 1983 - Joe opened for Stevie's "Wild Heart" tour and they fell in love. Stevie was head over heels and claims she would have given up her career if he had asked her to!

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

I knew that Stevie and Joe had dated. How long did their relationship last, Nanc? Do you know why they split?

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

I knew about Joe and Stevie, but I don't know who dated her first. lol How many years were between the Joe/Stevie years and the Don/Stevie years? I wonder if it's ever awkward.....knowing that the other has been with the same girl you were with.

On another note, I wonder why Stevie doesn't do anything (like concerts and appearances and stuff) with Joe like she does with Don. Or didn't she ever do any of that with joe?

Oh and one more question does anyone know how old Joe and Stevie were when they dated? Also....how old were Don and Stevie when they dated? Ok that was more than one question I won't even ask how long each couple was together.

Well, it just so happens that Stevie loves to talk about Joe, so I actually know lots of details!

When Joe signed on to tour with Stevie in 1983, they naturally started spending time together, and to hear Stevie tell it, there was an instant attraction. She says in her liner notes to TimeSpace that after she met him, she thought: "I can never be far from this person again... he is my soul. He seemed to be in a lot of pain, though hid it well." (She is very dramatic lol).

They really bonded one time in Colorado - you may have heard the story of the song "Has Anyone Ever Written Anything for You" and Emma's fountain. After that time, I think Stevie felt really close to Joe, like he was letting her see a side of him that he didn't show to others - the side that wasn't all laughs and partying.

After the tour, however, problems started to emerge. They started touring separately. Stevie felt like Joe wasn't serious enough about their relationship. She has related that she would have given up everything, even her career, if Joe Walsh had asked her to, "if he could be serious for two seconds." She loved him that much, but he didn't seem to want to put out the effort to be with her.

The breaking point came one day after Joe had gotten back from a tour. Stevie was trying to work in the studio with Waddy Wachtel, and Joe came over. Instead of waiting until she was done and then spending time with her, he decided to go and have some fun with the guys. They were hanging around the studio getting drunk and/or stoned, laughing, having a grand old time, and meanwhile Stevie was off to the side waiting for her time, but never got it. Finally, she got tired of waiting. She told him she was leaving, and asked him to come with her. Then, he tells her - "Oh, I meant to tell you - I can't see you tomorrow. I'm leaving to go on another tour." Stevie threw a fit - he knew he was leaving the next day, and this was how he acted?! She said, "I don't think this is working" and turned to leave. At this point, Joe delivered a line that Stevie actually incorporated in a song later - "If you walk out that door, you cease to exist." Well, she walked out, and still seems to be doing fine, lol. (At the time I first heard this story, I was so mad at Joe as a Stevie fan! lol)

An addendum: a while later, after she finished her next album Rock a Little, she got in contact with Joe again. She called him and asked him if he'd like her to come over and play it for him. He said yes, so she rode out to his place in a limo ride which took a couple hours. Once she got there, Joe once again didn't have time for her. She was so mad about this that she wrote the song "Long Way to Go" about it - the lyrics to the chorus: "Well, it's a real long way to go to say goodbye! I thought we already did that - have fun! Tell the world!" lol

So Joe actually inspired TWO songs of Stevie's, with a line of his getting into a third. Not bad!

And it just so happens that Steive loves to talk about Don, so I know some details about that, too! lol But I think I might have already wrote out this story on a thread here in the past - :: goes digging ::

It's in a long thread, so I'll just repost what I said here:

Well, Stevie and Don's affair was passionate, but it was never really serious. It started in 1975 and lasted a couple years, off and on. They would have these rendevous where they would meet up, have sex, have fun and then each would go their separate ways. In the rare times when neither were touring, they would spend time together, but they never lived together or anything like that. Indeed Stevie had sex with Lindsey Buckingham in between her rendevous with Don. Songs like "Sara" and "One More Big Time Rock'n'Roll Star" imply that Stevie wanted more than that, but that Don wasn't on the same page. They remained friends and maybe hooked up a few more times, but that was it.

Their "fun" relationship did not seem to survive Stevie getting pregnant with Don's baby. She told him about it and it seems they mutually agreed she should abort, but Stevie has expressed regret about it since. Of course it's thanks to Don spilling the beans about it in the early 90s that we even know about the abortion at all! Stevie fans have always been angry about that, and about how he framed it: "I believe to the best of my knowledge [Stevie] became pregnant by me..." Um, she TOLD you it was yours Don! :: shakes head ::

Some Stevie fans believe that Don ended it BECAUSE Stevie got pregnant and left her to deal with it on her own, but she's never actually said that. Still, those who believe that hate Don, and point to his ambivalence about stating that the baby was his in the above interview as "evidence." They also use lyrics from Sara to back it up - she wanted Don to "finish his house" and "call her home" - a home for a baby - but he didn't want to "stay with her a while" so she wound up aborting the baby. (Stevie has said that Don often invited her to hook up in his house while it was still under construction and that's what inspired those lines - by the time he finished the house, it was over.) No proof of that abortion scenario, though.

Personally, I don't think Stevie wanted a baby at that point in her life regardless of whether or not Don "called her home." She was doing coke, flying around the world, partying constantly, and at the height of her success. She has even said that one of the considerations for her having the abortion was that having a baby would make it impossible for Fleetwood Mac to tour for Rumours. She has never blamed Don in any way or had anything but good things to say about him, to this day.

I also want to say that there are alternative demo versions of "Sara" which belie the "bad Don" theory because they have additional lyrics like "And he reached out gently." Hardly condemning words.

Quote Originally Posted by Maleah
    On another note, I wonder why Stevie doesn't do anything (like concerts and appearances and stuff) with Joe like she does with Don. Or didn't she ever do any of that with joe?

Oh and one more question does anyone know how old Joe and Stevie were when they dated? Also....how old were Don and Stevie when they dated? Ok that was more than one question I won't even ask how long each couple was together.
    Not sure about why Joe doesn't do Stevie's charity events. She says they're friends now, but certainly not like she's friends with Don - a very close relationship there. She said that Don was one of the first people she called after 9/11 (she was trapped in New York at the time). Don also was there for her when her father died in 2005 - I always admired how he stayed with her when she was greeting we fans (that's how I got to meet Don) because she needed his support - her dad was very sick and died a few days later.

Stevie was born in 1948, Joe in 1947. You do the math.

Wow! Joe was a jerk in the later days of their relationship! I've never even listened to Stevie's music but when I read that line where he said "if you walk out that door, you cease to exist," my jaw dropped and I was like....JOE!!! lol