Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: Don and Stevie

Awhhhh sweet
    Let somebody love you, before it's too late..

I love those demos--it is nice to hear their voices unadorned and natural.

Nice new sig line, MrsH.

Quote Originally Posted by DonFan

Nice new sig line, MrsH.
    Thank you.
    Let somebody love you, before it's too late..

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brooke

As far as telling it again, Soda, how are all the newbies going to know if you, or anyone, quits telling their stories? They won't and the legends will fade away. We don't want that to happen!
    Glad you guys feel this way because as I posted in the Stevie thread a minute ago, I am going to start at the top of this topic and work my way thru so sorry if I ask questions that have already been answered a time or two.
    He sings it high, he plays it low

No need to apologize! They went through the questions with me too! I still ask for a repeat every now and then. lol

TimothyBFan asked why Don and Stevie didn't work out. Well, we can't know for sure certainly, but here's my take on it:

Stevie had just come off of a seven-year relationship with bandmate Lindsey Buckingham, a relationship she has characterized as "marriage without the piece of paper." She has said Lindsey was always serious and brooding, and here came Don, the handsome "rock star" who bore a striking resemblance to Lindsey. They were two very different men, however. According to Stevie, Lindsey was always so brooding, always so intense, and always so negative about the attention she received. She met him when they were in high school and according to her, he got jealous after they were famous. He told her she'd changed, that she'd "gone Hollywood" so to speak, and that he didn't like it. He accused her of flirting with men onstage, and he even admitted himself he wasn't comfortable with seeing all the men in the audience panting after "my woman."

Contrast that with Don. Stevie says says Don taught her how to have fun, to spend money, to enjoy her fame. He didn't mind all the men wanting her... in fact, her sexy stage presence was part of Don's attraction to her. Unlike Lindsey, who was always talking about the "old Stevie," Don accepted her for what she was THEN, not what she had been. He treated her like a fellow rock star, and she loved it. She loved that Don would send a Lear jet to pick her up just so that he could spend a night with her. She loved that Don would buy the finest champagne and lavish gifts upon her. One time he filled Fleetwood Mac's green room with gifts for Stevie, which enraged Lindsey, but Stevie ate it up.

However, one can't discount the "rebound" factor. Stevie says she felt obligated to try to play down her relationship with Don around Lindsey so as not to set him off. She says she never felt free to talk about it, or any of her boyfriends later. She was also having a hard time truly separating herself from Lindsey. She admits that she still felt connected to Lindsey, that when they would go onstage together, sometimes, it would feel like the old days and she would feel drawn to him again. It was a very difficult time for her. It also explains why Don threw in that Sara was his child "to the best of my knowledge" although as a gentlemen he shouldn't have even implied Stevie could have been wrong, IMHO. I think, at that time, she simply was not free to totally give her heart to Don.

Another factor is that at the time, they were both free-wheelin' rock stars at the height of their fame (Rumours/HC period) and I think Don wasn't looking for anything permanent then. They were both touring and didn't get to see each other very often, although when Don was on a break Stevie would come stay with him at the house he shared with Glenn (Funny story about that in the Glenn and Stevie thread, if you want to look at that in the Glenn forum). It was not long after the abortion that they broke up, so they may not have been able to deal with it (just speculating).

But they parted amicably and with affection, and have always had a connection which is visible to this day. Still, Don did not make the list of her "three great loves" - JOE did. Lindsey did. But not Don. Like I said, I think the timing was just bad. She simply was not over Lindsey, even though she ended it. When half your heart is with someone else, you can't have a "great love."

JMHO!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Thanks Soda--anyone else have an opinion on this because I truly am intrigued now? A couple more questions tho:

1. I've seen mention before and above-Stevie's 3 great loves, Joe, Lindsey and who is the 3rd and where has she spoken of them?

2. How long has Don been married?

3. If he wasn't married, after all these years do you think he and Stevie would find their way back to each other? Lord knows they sure seem to be close enough now to consider it.

4. Glenn and Stevie? Now I have to read that also. How many Eagles has she had some sort of relationship with? Not Timmy right?
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Quote Originally Posted by TimothyBFan
    1. I've seen mention before and above-Stevie's 3 great loves, Joe, Lindsey and who is the 3rd and where has she spoken of them?
    She says the third is Mick Fleetwood. Everyone's kind of mystified by that. With Joe and Lindsey, she talks about the fact that she might have married them. Mick and she were more of a fling, although a two-year fling, lol. She admits that it was largely fueled by cocaine. Sometimes I wonder if she just doesn't want him to feel left out, so she sticks him on the list. Oh well!

She talks about the "three great loves" often, in many interviews. Here's one I found on a quick search:

Spin Magazine 1997 (Excerpt)

"CL: Tell me more about your love life.

SN: Well, when Lindsey and I broke up during Rumours, I started going out with Don Henley. And you know, I was like the biggest Eagles fan of life.

CL: "Warm smell of colitas...."

SN: [Laughing] Totally. And we went out, off and on, for about two years.

CL: That's a perfect couple right there. I mean, that's the California, the San Andreas Fault couple. He was really cute, too.

SN: He was really cute, and he was elegant. Don taught me to spend money.

CL: How did he teach you to spend money? I've never had a guy do that for me.

SN: Well, I just watched him, that's how. He didn't visibly set out to do that. I just watched him. He was okay with, say, buying a house like that [snaps her fingers], or sending a Learjet to pick you up.

[...]

CL: Wow. You know, I still think Don Henley is sexy.

SN: He is sexy. He's such an interesting guy. Here's one thing that Don did that freaked my band out so much. We're all in Miami, Fleetwood Mac and the Eagles. They're recording at this gorgeous house they'd rented on the water. It's totally romantic.

CL: Is it pink?

SN: It's pink.

CL: Of course it's pink.

SN: It's like Mar-a-Lago. Anyway, he sends a limousine driver over to our hotel with a box of presents for me, and they're delivered right into the breakfast room where everyone's eating. There's a stereo, a bunch of fabulous records. There's incredible flowers and fruits, beautiful...

CL: Pomegranates and figs and dates, of course.

SN: Yes. And...

CL: Oh, I love him!

SN: The limousine driver is taking all this out onto the table and I'm going, Oh, please, please, this is not going to go down well. And they want to know who it's from. And Lindsey is not happy.

CL: Gardenias?

SN: Yeah. So I started going out with him. And this is not popular. Sure, Lindsey and I are totally broken up, I have every right in the world to go out with people, but.... I spend most of my time with the band, and it's not real conducive to having a relationship. So I went out with Don for a while, I went out with [Eagles songwriter] J.D. Souther for a while. We had an incredible time.

CL: But he wasn't as famous as you. It must have been a lot more fun going out with somebody just as famous.

SN: Well, all those Eagles were an interesting group of guys. They were such good songwriters. I was blown away. I was totally awestruck. I mean, I was very, very famous, but it didn't make me less awestruck with these men than anybody else. I was just as big of a fan. And then.... We're just doing a condensed version of what happened with me. And then I fell in love with Mick [Fleetwood]. And that went on for two years. Never in a million years could you have told me that would happen. That was the biggest surprise. Mick is definitely one of my great, great loves.

CL: How was that between Lindsey and Mick?

SN: That was not good. That was not good for anybody else in the band. Everybody was so angry, because Mick was married. To a wonderful girl and he had two wonderful children, and I was horrified. I loved these people. I loved his family. So it couldn't possibly work out. And it didn't. It just couldn't.

CL: And the drugs?

SN: The drugs didn't help, needless to say. We did a lot of blow."

2. How long has Don been married?
    Since 1995.

3. If he wasn't married, after all these years do you think he and Stevie would find their way back to each other? Lord knows they sure seem to be close enough now to consider it.
    Stevie has hinted that if Lindsey weren't married she would be with him, but I've never heard her say something like that about Don.

4. Glenn and Stevie? Now I have to read that also. How many Eagles has she had some sort of relationship with? Not Timmy right?
    Stevie never had any romantic relationship with Glenn, as far as I know. I was just talking about a story she tells about Glenn kind of dissing her when she was with Don. Read more here:
    Glenn and Stevie (BTW, that thread was transferred over from our old board Flip City... in the transfer, some of the replies got out of order, so it's a bit confusing. Sorry!)

There is much more on Joe. Read about that here:
    Joe and Stevie (we talked about Don there too, so you'll see some repetition)

Stevie has not had relationships with any other Eagles, to the best of my knowledge.

That has been a really good read! Thanks for posting it, Soda, and TBF for posing the questions. It seems the interviewer was falling in love with Don just listening to Stevie talking about him!

www.donfelderonline.com
    ~~~~~
    This way to happiness...

Quote Originally Posted by glenneaglesfan
    That has been a really good read! Thanks for posting it, Soda, and TBF for posing the questions. It seems the interviewer was falling in love with Don just listening to Stevie talking about him!
    I can certainly understand how that could happen!