Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Don Henley in Boston, MA - Sept. 20, 2016

Stuck on the Border buffyfan145's Avatar

Default Re: Don Henley in Boston, MA - Sept. 20, 2016

Great review MC!!! Sounds like it was another great show. My paternal grandparents are originally from Boston too and we're part Irish as well as Italian, and both make up a lot of Boston's population.
    ~*Amanda*~
    "So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key."

Border Troubadour

Thanks for the review MaryC!!! I love my Don - he never disappoints
    ....and the little Irish reference was very sweet
    ...Well it sure makes you wonder the things that some people will say. They can see black and white but they don't seem to notice the grey...

Stuck on the Border Jonny Come Lately's Avatar
    Watching the hazy sun sinking in the sea in England

Thanks for the terrific review MaryC! I always love hearing about the details that make everyone's concert experiences unique. So glad to hear that you had such a great time at the show, and that you got there in enough time.

I too would love to hear the full story about The Last Resort (one of my all-time favourites) - I was also very pleased to hear that it got a standing ovation, just as it got over here. I think Don has delighted a lot of people by making that a regular in the setlist.

If I may ask, which were the two songs your son wasn't crazy about? Just curious to know - I'm guessing it was probably a couple of the country songs but I could be wrong.

Boston is a cool city. I've never been there but I often think of it as the 'American Liverpool' as both cities have a strong Irish connection and like to march to their own beat culturally (coincidentally, the owner of the Boston Red Sox is also the owner of Liverpool FC, giving a further sporting tie between the two cities).

Fantastic review. Thank you!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Border Rebel

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Come Lately View Post
    Thanks for the terrific review MaryC! I always love hearing about the details that make everyone's concert experiences unique. So glad to hear that you had such a great time at the show, and that you got there in enough time.

I too would love to hear the full story about The Last Resort (one of my all-time favourites) - I was also very pleased to hear that it got a standing ovation, just as it got over here. I think Don has delighted a lot of people by making that a regular in the setlist.

If I may ask, which were the two songs your son wasn't crazy about? Just curious to know - I'm guessing it was probably a couple of the country songs but I could be wrong.

Boston is a cool city. I've never been there but I often think of it as the 'American Liverpool' as both cities have a strong Irish connection and like to march to their own beat culturally (coincidentally, the owner of the Boston Red Sox is also the owner of Liverpool FC, giving a further sporting tie between the two cities).
    Thanks, everyone, for your nice comments about my review. JCL, it's funny you should say that about Liverpool. I never really knew it was a city with a strong Irish connection (or about the Red Sox link. That's cool!), but my Irish ex has relatives in Liverpool. I think they're some relation to his maternal grandmother. Whenever there's a wedding or family event in Dublin, the "Liverpool gang" comes over and are put up in various people's houses. They are thought to be quite the party-ers, although of course the Irish have that reputation, anyway.

If you ever come over to Boston, my son and I would be glad to show you around. (And that goes for any of my European Border friends!)

As far as The Last Resort story, there really isn't much more to tell. Don said that he went to a bar in Aspen in the seventies. (He may have given the exact year, but if so, I can't remember it!) In a joking aside, he said it was one of many mistakes he made back then. LOL. Anyway, he said in the bar he saw a strikingly beautiful blonde woman and that she was wearing a fringed jacket, one of those suede ones that was popular at that time. Since he was fortified with Dutch courage, he approached her and talked to her. She had bought a half-finished log cabin and was trying to finish it. He eventually found out that her family had come to Providence, RI to escape persecution from the Russians after the Czechs had declared independence. (I hope I have that right!) Don also commented on what a beautiful city Prague is. (I've never been there, but I've heard that as well.) He ended by saying that he helped her finish the log cabin. (He had a very cute smile when he said that!) So, that's the story as close as I can remember it.

Of course, that's only a small part of what inspired the song, and since Don seems fond of double or triple meanings (perfect example is the The Last Resort song title), he probably was enamored with the idea of a girl from Providence in a song about manifest destiny. It's definitely a nice touch!

ETA: Right after the song, he talked a little about Walden Woods. It seemed to fit with the theme of the song!

Also, I forgot to answer your question about which two songs my son disliked. They were Seven Bridges Road and Train in the Distance. I was disappointed on Train in the Distance. I thought it might be When I Stop Dreaming.