Page 64 of 145 FirstFirst ... 145460616263646566676874114 ... LastLast

Thread: For Those Saying Glenn Frey is Necessary to the Eagles; no Glenn, no legit Eagles

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: For Those Saying Glenn Frey is Necessary to the Eagles; no Glenn, no legit Eagles

Amen to both of those quotes. I have often thought of that JD statement and wondered how he feels about this new version of the band. And, that's saying a lot from JD considering he was better friends with Don than Glenn at that time in their lives when Glenn passed.

Default Re: For Those Saying Glenn Frey is Necessary to the Eagles; no Glenn, no legit Eagles

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    Another quote from that article:
    Felder (on Frey declining to participate in the Eagles' ill-fated attempt at a reunion album in 1990): "I think Glenn felt he should have been in control of saying when and where and how it was going to happen. I think that really upset him a lot that we were in the studio recording without him. It was only done that way because we were being told Glenn was coming in a couple of days and we were led to believe that was OK and Glenn knew what was going on. We finally got some letter or phone call saying, 'If you don't stop, you know, he's going to take legal action,' or something like that. We were like, 'Wow, OK. Let's stop. We're not going to do this without Glenn.' We did. We stopped without him."
    While Felder's comment was obviously from a different circumstance, it still speaks to the fact that Glenn felt the Eagles weren't legitimate without him.... and I agree.
    This.

"Let's burn our long johns and head west" - Glenn Frey 1948-2016

Quote Originally Posted by New Kid In Town View Post
    Amen to both of those quotes. I have often thought of that JD statement and wondered how he feels about this new version of the band. And, that's saying a lot from JD considering he was better friends with Don than Glenn at that time in their lives when Glenn passed.
    Like Bernie Leadon, the silence speaks volumes to me.

Let's not forget that Felder has spoken out against it as well (although admittedly he was hardly Glenn's advocate when Glenn was alive).

Do we have a comment from Randy on it?

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border

Let's not forget that Felder has spoken out against it as well (although admittedly he was hardly Glenn's advocate when Glenn was alive).

Do we have a comment from Randy on it?
    Not as far as I know. But, he was at Classic West, was apparently invited back stage, and Don sent him a shout out in the audience during the show. I don't think Randy would want to cause any problems or bad feelings at this stage in his life. And, I can't blame him, the poor guy has been through so much the last few years.

Quote Originally Posted by New Kid In Town View Post
    Not as far as I know. But, he was at Classic West, was apparently invited back stage, and Don sent him a shout out in the audience during the show. I don't think Randy would want to cause any problems or bad feelings at this stage in his life. And, I can't blame him, the poor guy has been through so much the last few years.
    Good point.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Border Desperado longtimeeaglesfan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dawn View Post
    FP, I remember reading JD's thoughts on the fate of the band after Glenn's passing and I am so glad you found and posted the source. Thank you. As far as I'm concerned, JD got it right.
    One thing different from Leadon and Felder is that JD has participated in the Sirius XM "Hotel California" channel which was set up to provide Sirius XM listeners a chance to hear Eagles 3.0 perform at the Grand Ole Opry. I'm not saying this says he does or doesn't approve of the current lineup, but he didn't refuse participation in the channel because of it.

He said at the time nearer Glenn's death regarding an Eagles resumption that " I think it would be sacrilegious. I can't think of a way to do that that would be all right." Perhaps he, like Henley, feels now that the way they did do it is all right.

Another quote from that article:
    Felder (on Frey declining to participate in the Eagles' ill-fated attempt at a reunion album in 1990): "I think Glenn felt he should have been in control of saying when and where and how it was going to happen. I think that really upset him a lot that we were in the studio recording without him. It was only done that way because we were being told Glenn was coming in a couple of days and we were led to believe that was OK and Glenn knew what was going on. We finally got some letter or phone call saying, 'If you don't stop, you know, he's going to take legal action,' or something like that. We were like, 'Wow, OK. Let's stop. We're not going to do this without Glenn.' We did. We stopped without him."
    While Felder's comment was obviously from a different circumstance, it still speaks to the fact that Glenn felt the Eagles weren't legitimate without him.... and I agree.
    I agree with you, soda. While this was a different circumstance, I believe Glenn felt there should be no Eagles without him. Another example of this happening was when he had his intestinal surgery in 1994 during the HFO tour and concerts were rescheduled until he recovered - they didn't continue without him or bring in someone else to fill in, as other bands do if a band member is sick.

As for JD Souther's participation in the Sirius channel, I've wondered if this means he has changed his opinion. I've also wondered if the lack of participation from Jackson Browne and Linda Ronstadt, and the lack of any comment on what they think of the eagles continuing, means they don't approve.

Unlike Henley, JD does not profit from singing a different tune ... at least not to the tune of booking over 50 Eagles concerts on tour for 2017-2018.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by longtimeeaglesfan View Post
    One thing different from Leadon and Felder is that JD has participated in the Sirius XM "Hotel California" channel which was set up to provide Sirius XM listeners a chance to hear Eagles 3.0 perform at the Grand Ole Opry. I'm not saying this says he does or doesn't approve of the current lineup, but he didn't refuse participation in the channel because of it.

He said at the time nearer Glenn's death regarding an Eagles resumption that " I think it would be sacrilegious. I can't think of a way to do that that would be all right." Perhaps he, like Henley, feels now that the way they did do it is all right.
    I posted Souther's quote. See my post on the previous page. I was not trying to envisage how he now feels about it. If he has changed his mind, that's his right, but the statement was made & it deserved to be remembered... just as Don Henley's & Irving Azoff's statements quoted at the start of the thread should be remembered.

As for the radio channel I can only assume Souther was asked to participate because of his involvement with the band as it was.
    Last edited by Freypower; 01-22-2018 at 07:35 PM.