The Border: An Eagles Message Board

Go Back   The Border: An Eagles Message Board > Eagles Discussion Areas > Eagles

Eagles Hang out on The Border with the Eagles.

Old 03-19-2017, 01:58 PM   #2841
priscillaupstate
Out on the Border

Default Re: Eagles Mentions in the Press

Hope he's ok but what a way to go!
priscillaupstate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 07:24 AM   #2842
Funk 50
Stuck on the Border

Gerry is ok. He was angry with the news article, bringing up his past, major heart surgery when, as he says, it was just he knee playing up.

"About 40 minutes into the show my knee started playing up, I lost my balance and my PA came up, got my guitar and got me to come off the stage. It’s a pain in the a**e rather than anything serious, well really it’s a pain in the knee. I came home and now it’s strapped up and I’m resting. It was nothing serious."

I can't imagine the guy doing any major physical gyrations while performing Peaceful Easy Feeling or would that be a Painful Kneesy Feeling

http://www.vintagevinylnews.com/2017...makers-in.html
Funk 50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 04:38 PM   #2843
Jonny Come Lately
Stuck on the Border

Location: Watching the hazy sun sinking in the sea in England

Found a good (and unexpected!) mention in the football section of The Times (of London) - Scott Arfield, a Scottish/Canadian who plays for Burnley FC, talks about his love of music, and how he sung Take It Easy as his initiation song on joining the club! I've provided a link, although most of the article is behind a paywall.

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/bi...nada-2m9chbx79

Quote:
For my initiation, I sang Take It Easy by the Eagles. Fat boy music! Because it has a guitar in it! For me, it's proper music. I love music with lyrics, a story to pull me in like the Courteeners. That's massive talent, telling a story through a song.
The term 'fat boy music' was coined by one of his team mates, who is mainly into grime music and thinks that the rock and alternative music Arfield likes is 'middle-aged men, sitting in a pub, drinking beer'!

He also mentioned TIE in an older article from a few years ago.
http://beatsandrhymesfc.com/scott-ar...el-of-fortune/
Jonny Come Lately is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 05:20 AM   #2844
Funk 50
Stuck on the Border

Here's part of a Chaz & AJ, radio interview with Jimmy Koplik, who's introduced as Chairman Of Live Nation North East Region.

I was drawn to this by the amusing Joe Walsh story, that probably wont make Joe's autobiography but Jimmy also talks about Eagles upcoming concerts and, answering listeners questions, addresses, Felder, Farewell Tours and delivers an insight as to why bands don't retire. In a word, Adrenalin.

https://audioboom.com/posts/5735824-...wl-concert?t=0
Old 03-23-2017, 04:26 PM   #2845
Delilah
Stuck on the Border

I bet to this day, Joe has a strong aversion to ice.

It's not clear to me that Mr. Koplik has any real firsthand knowledge about this summer's concerts. It sounds like he's just parroting what's he's read in Billboard and elsewhere like the rest of us.

Take it to the limit, one more time.
Delilah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 11:16 PM   #2846
sodascouts
Administrator

Agreed, Delilah. It's quite pathetic how many sites seize upon something reported elsewhere and recycle it every few days to pretend that it's something new.

Always in our hearts, always with us, never forgotten, never truly gone.
sodascouts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 07:01 AM   #2847
Funk 50
Stuck on the Border

Not knowing exactly when the interview took place, Mr. Koplik could be the source of the story. As Chairman of Live Nation (NE Region), I'd expect him to have some interest and knowledge of what his company is up to.

I prefer stories about the Eagles to be heavily recycled rather than ignored or dismissed as un-newsworthy.
Old 03-29-2017, 07:12 AM   #2848
UndertheWire
Stuck on the Border

My take was that Mr Koplik has been reading the same news items as us but that he has some personal knowledge of the people concerned (from when they played in venues within his remit) which makes his interpretation more interesting than typical recycled news.
Old 03-29-2017, 07:18 AM   #2849
UndertheWire
Stuck on the Border

Some real news, with a statement from Henley.
"Their Greatest Hits 1971-1975" has been included in the Library of Congress’ National Recording Registry:
http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...329-story.html
Quote:
“Popular music is one of this country’s finest exports,” Eagles founding member Don Henley told The Times on Wednesday via email.
“We excel at it. Popular music and radio programming created and recorded in the USA have been a global force that crosses geographical, cultural and political boundaries.”

“Some anthropologists,” Henley said, “say that humankind has about 1,000 more years of existence on this planet. So, one might logically ask, ‘What’s the point of archiving these recordings?’ We do it for the same reason ancient cave dwellers made drawings on the walls of their caves – to say, ‘We were here and this is what our life was like.’”

“Each of the other selected songs you mentioned,” Henley wrote, “has a special resonance in my life: Judy Garland’s ‘Over the Rainbow,’ one of the greatest ballads ever written, is part of the childhood of every Baby Boomer (and pre-Boomer, back to 1939). ‘Hound Dog’ (Elvis Presley’s version) was the first rock & roll record I ever owned. ‘I’ll Fly Away’ (Dillards’ version on ‘Wheatstraw Suite’ LP) has always been a favorite and was sung at my mother’s funeral. ‘Amazing Grace’ was one of my grandmother’s most beloved hymns.”

Referring to his Eagles bandmate Glenn Frey, who died last year, Henley added, “Glenn, being the avid sports fan that he was, would have been so pleased to know that our album went into the archives alongside Vin Scully’s historic 1957 broadcast of the Brooklyn Dodgers-New York Giants game at the Polo Grounds, the last Dodgers-Giants game ever played there.”
This is what Billboard had to say:
Quote:
Their Greatest Hits (1971–1975), Eagles (1976)
It's unusual for a group to be best known for a greatest-hits compilation, especially for the Eagles who, at the time, were thought of as an album band, not a singles band. It's even more surprising because the members of the group had no say in the decision to release such an album and didn't want one released. Against a backdrop of lawsuits, their record company decided to put out a greatest-hits package while the Eagles worked on their next studio album. The supposed potboiler, Their Greatest Hits (1971–1975), was intended merely to generate income and buy the Eagles some time while they worked on what would become Hotel California. Instead, the overwhelming response thrilled the record company — less so some members of the band. Don Henley complained that cobbling together a hits package diminished the artistic integrity of a concept album like Desperado,"from which two songs were taken. Nevertheless, fans loved the greatest hits, and it undeniably elevated the stature of the Eagles, making them one of the most successful and best-loved groups of their era.
(It doesn't even get a mention in the Billboard introduction, let alone the headline).
http://www.billboard.com/articles/ne...rding-registry

Last edited by UndertheWire; 03-29-2017 at 08:45 AM.
UndertheWire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 10:41 AM   #2850
buffyfan145
Border Troubadour

That's awesome it's going into the Library of Congress!!! That and their 2nd Greatest Hits (and the radio) was how I and a lot of us in the younger generations grew up with their music.