Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Allphones Arena, Sydney, AUS March 4 2015

Stuck on the Border

Default Allphones Arena, Sydney, AUS March 4 2015

FIrst of all unfortunately the night was marred by me stupidly losing my wallet. I dropped it on my way to the toilets & by the time I realised, it had vanished & nobody had the decency to hand it in. I had to get a cash refund on the merchandise I bought so I could buy a train ticket home. My credit cards are now cancelled (when I got home at 1 am I got straight onto the companies involved) & so tomorrow & next Wednesday I will have to use my passport for ID & show an account statement with the credit card details.

The seat was on Bernie & Tim's side so it was good to give them some attention & I smiled at them whenever they looked my way, which was a few times. Bernie played a Telecaster most of the time (apoolgies to the vast majority of you who already know all of this. I am late to the party & I don't want to repeat a great deal). Tim wore an olive green shirt in the second half.

I had a few glances from Glenn but I am still not sure if he remembered me from 2013. I got a look from him during 'ain't it funny how your new life didn't change things'' (!) Most of the time he concentrates on the middle section so he can do that again tomorrow (assuming they let me in...) anyway the shirt he wore in the second half was that pale plaid blue one with the plain arms (GA saw it in New York). I honestly have to say that I don't think he has enough to do in this setlist & so it's hard to lavish him with the usual devotion. He sings well but seemingly not enough. If Don had an extra couple of lead vocals I don't think it would have hurt him to have one as well. Consequently it must be said Don tends to overshadow him. For whatever reason he wore a face mask of the Queen during RMW but it took him a long time to face the audience & let most of them see it. Was he commenting on our failure to become a republic or our fool of a Prime Minister who knighted the Duke of Edinburgh in January? Anyway he did get a good line in when discussing Lyin' Eyes. He said his skin still looked good because he hadn't been outside for 35 years. For the intro he did NOT have a mirror or anything like that. He just struck poses. I don't sound very enthusiastic, do I? I was spoilt by the After Hours tour, I think.

I think Don & Joe are the stars of this tour. I was close to Don during WW so I watched him play & he was excellent & of course he plays on the Desperado songs. Once again I have to say I think people expected the song Desperado to be included in this segment. I STILL prefer DD to the Reprise, VA, but I was a bit stressed out. IN BOML Don definitely sang 'drinking about all the things that we said' instead of 'thinking'.

Joe was wearing a black T shirt with a fireworks design & of course he was cool. His contribution to the HOTE theme was a rambling story on how he joined the band, came here in 1976 ('we were going to play Darwin but it was gone!' - a reference to Cyclone Tracy) before LBG. It was good that he did this (which he didn't on Monday) & Tim talked about LWKUA, because otherwise the HOTE feel in the second half isn't really there. I did play closer attention to ITC (nice sparkly Tele, I think) but I still can't get excited about the song.

I would say my favourite performances were all of the first half, NKIT & HT (which was the only song for which the audience stood. It comes far too early in the setlist as I said & I am still unsure about the arrangement). I wish I could flesh this out a bit more; if you have any questions feel free to ask them.
    Last edited by Freypower; 03-04-2015 at 04:54 PM.

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Default Re: Allphones Arena, Sydney, AUS March 4 2015

Sorry to hear your issue with the wallet! I hope it all works out for you on getting in tomorrow and next week.

I can see how such a thing would have an impact on the enjoyment of the concert. I, too, prefer the first set over the second set, but I still enjoy the second set a lot!
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Fp, so sorry to hear about your troubles. That had to effect your whole evening!

On to the next show! Hopefully, all will be better!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Stuck on the Border MaryCalifornia's Avatar

Thanks again, FP! That sparkly/glittery guitar is mesmerizing!

Interesting that it sounds like fans only stood for one song or so in the AUS shows? That was not the case at all in LA and San Diego. We were up in the first half for AG and OOTN, and never sat down in the second half after HT. I wonder if the band is cracking down? More dirty looks from Don, or is it security? Are the fans trying to stand? From my tennis watching, I always think of Australians as WILD haha.

So sorry about the wallet.

Thanks for the review, FP. That's so unfortunate that you lost your wallet. I hope the next show is more exciting for you.

Out on the Border

I haven't posted anything about the Melbourne concert we went to as I was hoping Sydney would be better.
    Hardly anybody stood at all at last night's concert during the second half. I think there was 4 standing in the front at one point during take it easy. I'm not sure if it's an Australian thing not to stand up but I thought it was shameful after some of the other shows we've been to.
    We found the Queen mask funny but then, we're British. He also had it on in Glasgow I think, which was during the run up to the Scottish independence vote.
    There was more on stage banter here than in Melbourne but the crowd let them down in my opinion.
    There's not much I can say that FP hasn't already mentioned. ITC was a highlight as always as was OOTN. I agree about TLR with some of you, it pains me when Don Henley tells everyone to get up and dance to it but that wasn't an issue last night!
    I'm hoping Brisbane's a livelier lot, it's our last concert so hopefully a good one. I'll have to use my own initiative for where to on holiday for the foreseeable future
    FP sorry to hear about your wallet, I would've lent you money to get home if I'd known. Add me on fb and then you can get in touch.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by MaryCalifornia View Post
    Thanks again, FP! That sparkly/glittery guitar is mesmerizing!

Interesting that it sounds like fans only stood for one song or so in the AUS shows? That was not the case at all in LA and San Diego. We were up in the first half for AG and OOTN, and never sat down in the second half after HT. I wonder if the band is cracking down? More dirty looks from Don, or is it security? Are the fans trying to stand? From my tennis watching, I always think of Australians as WILD haha.

So sorry about the wallet.
    I didn't notice any cracking down from Don or anyone else. Just nobody wanted to stand until HT & the band seemed pleased they did. Then they sat down again with only sporadic stand up applause after each song ended. I guess the QCUA crowd was more into it.

I am sorry I sounded so down this morning; I had a great time, I really did, so forgive me. I've spent all morning getting my driver's licence & Medicare sorted out & also Rosalind had issues at school yesterday which perhaps contributed to my carelessness last night.

Steph - Will could have been a different person. He has cut his hair short again & has shaved.

Roberto was there but sadly wasn't introduced. He wears glasses now!

Stuck on the Border Houston Baby's Avatar

I'm so sorry to hear about your wallet FP. That would put a damper on anyone's night. I hope you get everything taken care of and can relax and really enjoy the other shows. Thank you for the review!

Stuck on the Border Houston Baby's Avatar

Sounds like me flojo! I don't know what I am going to do with all these vacation days this year. For the past 2 years I did not have enough vacation days for all the EAGLES shows. Come on guys help us out - we need more shows!

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Me, too, Flojo! Not just the vacation days, but the ticket fund is growing steadily and taunting me with each monthly statement that there are no tickets for sale.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.