Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: New Glenn Compilation

Default Re: New Glenn Compilation

Quote Originally Posted by Delilah View Post
    CD-Rs will generally have a green or bluish color on the playing side and a generic batch number on the hub, not a catalog number. Another clue is the lack of the company logo or manufacturer.

I doubt this set has CD-Rs but it has happened before with Universal.
    Wow, never noticed that before, but you're right. I compared CD 1 from the collection to a CD-R and the CD-R is definitely more blue-green in color. As for the hub number, you're talking on the playing side? This is what's there: DIDX-1089923, IFPI L327, and a bar code.

Amazon is also reporting that the collection is:
    #1 in CDs & Vinyl > Classic Rock
    #14 in CDs & Vinyl > Rock
    #24 in CDs & Vinyl > Pop

for whatever that's worth. I'm sure that's Amazon's own lists.

Quote Originally Posted by groupie2686 View Post
    For those of us who haven't been able to get this yet, would someone be able to share some pictures from the booklet?
    I need to find a place to "plop" photos, but I took this photo of the inside cover. It's somewhere on Facebook, just not sure it's in a public place. (I'll try to get photos of the booklet at lunch time.)

Last edited by CAinOH; 05-14-2018 at 11:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CAinOH View Post
    Wow, never noticed that before, but you're right. I compared CD 1 from the collection to a CD-R and the CD-R is definitely more blue-green in color. As for the hub number, you're talking on the playing side? This is what's there: DIDX-1089923, IFPI L327, and a bar code.

Amazon is also reporting that the collection is:
    #1 in CDs & Vinyl > Classic Rock
    #14 in CDs & Vinyl > Rock
    #24 in CDs & Vinyl > Pop

for whatever that's worth. I'm sure that's Amazon's own lists.
    Thanks! This appears to be a CD then. And nice pic of Glenn.

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Quote Originally Posted by FreyFollower View Post
    I agree. The reviewer in his limited space to describe the project to potential buyers, chooses instead to compare the works to someone who had nothing to do with it, and link a video of his, instead of a video of Glenn's which would remind readers of the great songs in THIS collection. You know, the album he is supposed to be discussing?
    The critic obviously didn't know that the context of Route 66 was a standards album. But a fun cover, even if he didn't know that.

Rather than describing Smuggler's Blues musically, he chooses to take a dig at Glenn personally.
    IMO, reviews should be written by objective persons, not someone who had already made up their mind to dislike it. And agreeing also with UTW, he probably didn't even listen to it. Rant over.
    ITA - this 'reviewer', and I use that term very loosely, is just downright tacky.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Great picture of Glenn!! Thanks CAinOH!

Oh, that review is pretentious, all right. Sounds just like some of the stuff people said about the Eagles years ago. I'm reminded of Glenn's comment in his interviews with Bob Costas about some music writers setting themselves up as "arbiters of taste," whether they were really qualified to do so or not.

Those of us who are Paul McCartney fans are all too familiar with this method, because we've seen way too many "Paul: hackneyed, saccharine kinda songwriter vs. John: relevant, visionary GENIUS." This for the man who let Yoko have solo vocalizations (they're not songs, for sure) on his albums. About as far as Paul went was Linda singing, "Cook of the House," which was a lightweight little song. Linda didn't have a good voice, but then again, never pretended to be a singer. She was a photographer, and a darn good one. And say what you will about Paul, you didn't pick up an album of his that had the charming song title, "Woman is the N**** of the World" on it. I kid you not. But that kind of crap made John "fearless" and "willing to address critical social issues." Didn't matter that some of his stuff was cringe-inducing for other reasons.

It's exactly the same dynamic here. Some people think if it's not preachy and intense all the time, it's not good. Glenn had social commentary on his albums -- he was just usually sneakier about it than Don. Spoonful of sugar and all that. Plus, it really bothers some critics when the musicians are obviously having FUN! I am put in mind of "Partytown." Clearly, Glenn was just having a blast on that record. Which does not negate its quality in the least. It's a good, rocking little song. And a sly one.

I love John and I love Don, too. "Boys of Summer" is one of my favorite songs by any artist. It's a really, really great song. BUT, is it that much better than anything Glenn ever released? Not to me. And when Don gets his preachy pants on, he's as irritating as any artist could be. The title track on LROOE is a prime example. It's OK to start with, but has no business being 7 minutes long. It's not that good. Four minutes would have been more than enough.

Just my fifty cents' worth. But you get my drift.

I feel like Don would try to hard in places, too preachy, where as little observations and cute couplets sug by glenn were far more effective such as the lyrics of lyin eyes which I feel doesnt smack you over the head with what its really trying to say, Glenns legacy is still too underappreciated and entwined with that of the Eagles, Smugglers Blues is such a lyrical masterpiece for me again like LE its not overdone
    Same Dancers in the Same Old Shoes

Thanks for sharing the photo, CAinOH!

For those who have this already, have the tracks been remastered? My pandora has started playing tracks from Above the Clouds - I've heard True Love, You Belong to the City, and the Lyin' Eyes/Take It Easy medley so far, and they come in super loud, much louder these tracks have played when they come from other albums (or indeed, than anything else my Pandora has played yet today...nothing like blasting You Belong to the City to the entire office!)

Stuck on the Border

That reviewer was a jerk. I hate that everything Glenn did in his solo career has to be compared to Don. I loved Don's solo work but, not everything he did was a masterpiece. He had some clunkers too. Also, I did/do not care for the preaching in his songs(or anyone else's songs either). He had already made his snarky mind up before he ever wrote the review.

@NKIT and Groupie -- Exactly. Even Glenn has some clunkers in the closet. (I'd love to hear a completely re-worked "Living in Darkness", for instance.) NO artist ever has a career as long as theirs without throwing out a few that make you wince. I can cite some stinkers for nearly every artist I can think of. Definitely had his mind made up before he typed the review.

He just got added to the Eagles' Fans Official Punch 'Em On Sight List.