View Poll Results: Should Don be inducted into the RnR HoF?

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

16 88.89%
  • No

0 0%
  • Don’t know/undecided

2 11.11%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Should Don be inducted into the RnR Hall of Fame?

Default Re: Should Don be inducted into the RnR Hall of Fame?

Gosh, I'm dense. I had no idea Ringo was inducted, and I had no idea that he had a successful solo career. Since that's the case, then I would have no problem with Don being inducted. Unfortunately, I'm unsure with Glenn, since his albums did not sell as well and did not have the visibility. I wouldn't mind Glenn being inducted later. I could see Joe being inducted later too, but sooner than Glenn.

If Don gets inducted, it would be kinda cool to see Stevie Nicks be inducted in the same year too.

As tm2 has indicated, the R&RHOF is a bit sketchy to me as well. But it is fun to see artists that you like to be honored in any capacity.

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post

Although I don’t agree with Freypower’s assessment at all, I do agree that she may be on to something about the ‘hip’ thing being an important factor for Jann Wenner, which is unfortunate. I think this attitude has permeated pop culture and is one reason that Joe may be perceived as having such a successful solo career. The fact of the matter is that, although very 'hip', Joe never had a Top 10 solo hit and had only four Top 40 hits – the highest of which reached #12 (LBG). To his credit, he definitely was the most prolific solo Eagle in terms of output though. However, I’ve personally never been one to value quantity over quality.
    Yeah, I can see Joe being inducted solo first due to the "hip" factor, and I agree that also probably informs the misconception that Joe had a more commercially successful solo career.

I also agree with NMB that the honor depends way too much on how much Wenner likes you! It doesn't matter how much you deserve it if you've ticked him off.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Out on the Border

Are people actually comparing Glenn Frey's solo work to Don Henley's??

Frey had a handful of top 40 hits, but songs like The Heat is On and You Belong to the City, while successful commercially, are HURTING, not helping his HOF candidacy.

Right Said Fred had a hit with "I'm too Sexy for My Shirt", but that's not helping their case.

I'm not comparing Frey with Right Said Fred as artists. But top 40 hits need to be taken into context.

Henley is a borderline case for the HOF, but he had songs like EOI, BOS, LWE, HOTM, Dirty Laundry...on and on...but don't embarrass Glenn Frey's legacy comparing his solo stuff to Henley's. That's insane.

I'm confused on how they let Pearl Jam in, unless I'm dense once again. Like, were they super popular outside of their first album, "Ten?" Or is their longevity one of the contributing factors. Is there even a metric for these inductees? Like, some artists are a no-brainer to induct, but at a certain point, they're going to be kind of searching or looking back into the past really hard.

Quote Originally Posted by eaglesfan View Post
    Are people actually comparing Glenn Frey's solo work to Don Henley's???

Frey had a handful of top 40 hits, but songs like The Heat is On and You Belong to the City, while successful commercially, are HURTING, not helping his HOF candidacy.

Right Said Fred had a hit with "I'm too Sexy for My Shirt", but that's not helping their case.

I'm not comparing Frey with Right Said Fred as artists. But top 40 hits need to be taken into context.

Henley is a borderline case for the HOF, but he had songs like EOI, BOS, LWE, HOTM, Dirty Laundry...on and on...but don't embarrass Glenn Frey's legacy comparing his solo stuff to Henley's. That's insane.
    Wow. Calm down.

It is true some have dared to presume to speak of Don and Glenn's solo careers in the same breath.

However, never fear. Don has not been diminished in any way. Everyone has been saying he was the most successful Eagle overall, and that he should be in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. His worthiness has not been questioned.

It's unfortunate that for some, it is not good enough to say "Don deserves it." They have to add, "And Glenn DOESN'T!!! He's nothing compared to DON!!!"

How much of Glenn's solo work have you actually listened to? It seems you are basing your assessment of his entire catalog on two songs. His solo work extends far beyond those, and his legacy is safe.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    Yeah, I can see Joe being inducted solo first due to the "hip" factor, and I agree that also probably informs the misconception that Joe had a more commercially successful solo career.

I also agree with NMB that the honor depends way too much on how much Wenner likes you! It doesn't matter how much you deserve it if you've ticked him off.
    I'm not sure how much this depends on what is "hip" or closeness with Jann Wenner. The Dave Clark Five were inducted and while I like them a lot, I wouldn't call them "hip" by any means. I also doubt they had anything to do with Jann Wenner. Most of the band members had nothing to do with the music industry after the band ended in 1969; only one member attempted a solo career and that wasn't successful. Dave Clark is practically a recluse and has done very little to keep his band's name alive. He has the rights to the band's masters and hasn't made the band's albums available since the 60s. He released greatest hits albums sporadically, all out of print now. It seemed to me that they were inducted more because of their impact on pop culture during the British Invasion, than for their record sales (although they did do well in their day) or musical talent.

Sorry for the digression there. I would like to think induction into the RRHOF has more to do with record sales and popularity with Jann Wenner, but you're all probably right. I think Henley may be inducted, with time, but I wouldn't expect it any time soon.

Stuck on the Border

I'm shocked that Phil Collins hasn't been inducted as for me, his music defines the 80s.

To state the obvious, whether Don gets inducted for his solo career should be decided without consideration of Glenn, Joe or any other Eagle.

I'm not really in a position to judge - I had no idea Don had a solo career until about 5 years ago. Was he really a big name in the US?

I accept that Don's career seems to be generally more highly regarded than Glenn's and that's not going to change. It doesn't matter to me. I enjoy Glenn's solo work more than Don's but I don't look to music for social comment or literary allusions.

Stuck on the Border

Hi UTW - How are you - good to see you back !
    I always loved Phil Collins and I think he also defined the 80's. It seemed that Miami Vice played one of his songs almost every show. He also had some big movie tracks too. I think both he and MV defined the 80's. He should be in the R&RHOF too.

Like I said before, I think Don should be in but, there are other artists who had huge solo careers and are not in. Don was really big in the 80's, especially with the success of EOTI. He got a lot of MTV play. Nothing screams the 1980's like MTV(which I used to love to watch back then).

Stuck on the Border buffyfan145's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RudieCantFail View Post
    I'm confused on how they let Pearl Jam in, unless I'm dense once again. Like, were they super popular outside of their first album, "Ten?" Or is their longevity one of the contributing factors. Is there even a metric for these inductees? Like, some artists are a no-brainer to induct, but at a certain point, they're going to be kind of searching or looking back into the past really hard.
    Pearl Jam is still really successful and has had many other hit songs and albums since their first. They're still one of the most popular alt-rock groups and such an influence for so many in that genre and others. I'm hoping to finally see them in concert soon too. They're also pretty much the last of the grunge era still active unless you count the Foo Fighters but that was a bit later.

Back to Don, Glenn, and Joe I too feel it probably will come done to more culturally popular and Don would get it and Joe has a case too but sadly I don't think Glenn does even with his hit songs.
    ~*Amanda*~
    "So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key."

Quote Originally Posted by UndertheWire View Post

I enjoy Glenn's solo work more than Don's but I don't look to music for social comment or literary allusions.
    To me, how an act has shown to have impacted music, and/or how it continues to resonate with people over time should be considered when choosing Hall of Fame and similar awards.
    I think making millions of people happy and bringing joy to their lives with a song is often dismissed in favor of "important" and "cerebral" musical artists. Timeless songs of the human experience can be enjoyed generations from now. "Cause of the Month" songs, not so much, IMO. But not being "cool"or "serious" seems to have kept many a very popular artist from receiving important awards.
    Accolades are not how I choose music, anyway.
    "Be part of something good--
    Leave something good behind."