Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Thread: Is the King of Hollywood the strangest, coolest song or what?

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Poll: Narrowing it down on songs to add/changes to my Eagles compilation

Quote Originally Posted by YoungEaglesFan View Post
    I get this being a tricky issue. Any person is afforded some level of respect but the groupies the guys usually encountered weren’t there to be taken seriously. An actress however wants to be taken seriously. What I’m saying is people who are in a professional setting vs people at a party shouldn’t have the same expections of treatment. That is all
    Here we go.

ALL women deserve to be treated with respect, whether they are 'at a party' or not. ALL women deserve to be 'taken seriously'.

What a statement. I'm walking away from this now before I start to get angry. I also have no wish to derail this topic further.

Default Re: Poll: Narrowing it down on songs to add/changes to my Eagles compilation

Well I feel treating a groupie that way vs an actress is much more different. The way the guys treated women was often how they wanted to be treated. Important to note i said often not always but there was usually equal abuse of each other. But to treat an actress that way is not similar

I thought the implication that Henley’s attitude towards Felder should decide whether or not to include a song on a compilation was a bit odd, but this?

I really don’t think such easy generalizations can be made about this subject. I’m sure there are groupies who made choices they don’t regret but still there are others who were humiliated and demeaned and treated like yesterday's garbage after they were used up. Surely you are not saying this is how they wanted to be treated by their idols. I can only guess you haven’t read up much about groupies (not that I’m an expert myself but geez).

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    Here we go.

ALL women deserve to be treated with respect, whether they are 'at a party' or not. ALL women deserve to be 'taken seriously'.

What a statement. I'm walking away from this now before I start to get angry. I also have no wish to derail this topic further.
    ITA and I’m going to do the same.

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

Quote Originally Posted by Delilah View Post

I thought the implication that Henley’s attitude towards Felder should decide whether or not to include a song on a compilation was a bit odd, but this?

I really don’t think such easy generalizations can be made about this subject. I’m sure there are groupies who made choices they don’t regret but still there are others who were humiliated and demeaned and treated like yesterday's garbage after they were used up. Surely you are not saying this is how they wanted to be treated by their idols. I can only guess you haven’t read up much about groupies (not that I’m an expert myself but geez).
    Well I’m sure the guys regret how they treated them as well. But I think at the time they did what they wanted to do. (This of course is a generalization I cannot speak for most/ all of them). They chose to go to the parties and a lot of them threw them selves at the guys in band. Mistakes were made obviously but again I’m merely stating that there is a difference in treatment between people in your professional life and ones in your personal one.

Banned

If I'm reading the comments correctly, I feel the need to post an objection too. Everybody is entitled to be treated with respect. Nobody should be expected to accept being treated badly. Sorry I'm no help with your compilation, YoungEaglesFan.

Quote Originally Posted by Delilah View Post

This will be my last comment on the topic as you and FP are correct it’s off topic. Any further comments I’ll accept in private messaging. But I agree this is a generalization and of course it won’t apply to everyone. I am basing my knowledge of the groupie band relations off Felders book. This is the best source I can think of in terms of groupies specific to the Eagles. In the book groupies were depicted as doing whatever the guys wanted just to please them. Whenever someone was invited to an after party it was pretty clear what was going to happen. Though I’m sure that some went and didn’t like what happened at the parties. I’m not here to justify their actions, what I’m saying is that if you treat women the way they did at 3E parties it was behavior that was both normal and common in that setting. But if you treated someone like that in a professiona setting it is both NOT common and NOT normal to do so. If for example Don treated Stevie Nicks that way during the recording of Leather and Lace it would be more wrong to treat her like that at a party in which that type of behavior is more common. Both not good but one is worse than the other

Quote Originally Posted by Funk 50 View Post
    If I'm reading the comments correctly, I feel the need to post an objection too. Everybody is entitled to be treated with respect. Nobody should be expected to accept being treated badly. Sorry I'm no help with your compilation, YoungEaglesFan.
    I happen to agree because I said everyone should be treated with respect. But they shouldn’t be treated the same way in every scenario. Context matters

Stuck on the Border

YoungEaglesFan, I did say I don't find the KOF lyrics problematic. I just don't like that kind of finger-pointing myself. From where I'm standing rock musicians don't seem to be above treating women with disrespect any more than movie producers. There's no "more/less deserving of respect" for me when it comes to women. I just don't care hearing a musician sing about a movie producer treating a woman with disrespect. Very simple.

I love KOH and I love listening to it. I love the riff, the arrangement, the guitar solos, the vocals, the atmosphere...I don't hate the lyrics and they don't stop me from loving the song. I just don't care for the lyrics.

You say: "The way the guys treated women was often how they wanted to be treated." "Often"? This means that often they didn't want it. But, in your words, I don't want to argue about this. I just said how I feel.
    Last edited by chaim; 11-26-2017 at 11:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by chaim View Post
    YoungEaglesFan, I did say I don't find the KOF lyrics problematic. I just don't like that kind of finger-pointing myself. From where I'm standing rock musicians don't seem to be above treating women with disrespect any more than movie producers. There's no "more/less deserving of respect" for me when it comes to women. I don't care hearing a musician sing about a movie producer treating a woman with disrespect.

I love KOH and I love listening to it. I love the riff, the arrangement, the guitar solos, the vocals, the atmosphere...I don't hate the lyrics and they don't stop me from loving the song. I just don't care for the lyrics.

You say: "The way the guys treated women was often how they wanted to be treated." "Often"? This means that often they didn't want it. But, in your words, don't want to argue about this. I just said how I feel.
    Sorry for misunderstanding your comments Chaim.

Stuck on the Border

Sorry for misunderstanding your comments Chaim.
    No problem. It's just how I feel. I don't know, perhaps this was the wrong thread to talk about it, but there it is.