Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: California Jam 1974

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: California Jam 1974

I remember reading somewhere that the Beatles hired a drummer when Ringo came down with strep throat or something with his tonsils.

Border Troubadour

Jackson didn't really replace Felder in fairness - he did the rhythm guitar on MF granted, but he played piano on James Dean and Take It Easy, and nothing on Already Gone. Obviously he wouldn't have been there if Felder was, but it was more a substitute than outright like-for-like.

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    I fail to see why any of the four core members (as the band then was) would have been replaced if they hadn't shown. Felder was new. Nobody knew who he was so it was OK to replace him. Not the others.

I think people should look at where the Eagles were billed. They were third from bottom. They were not going to play a long set.

I would hope that some younger people would still remember Deep Purple & ELP, in Britain, at least. I would hope that younger Americans might remember Earth, Wind & Fire.
    I agree Freypower. There were alot of big bands at this festival. Deep Purple is still a favorite of mine. We had the best music.

So Put Me On A Highway And Show Me A Sign
    And Take It To The Limit One More Time..............

Quote Originally Posted by New Kid In Town View Post
    Delilah - Good points and I agree with you.

I love the Calif. Jam footage too. I love Rady's version of MF. They rocked all the songs. They all look so young and excited to be there. Love Glenn's comment about the blimp - "Just like Wide World of Sports" - lol, too cute.
    Thank you, NKIT, the blimp reminds of something- this concert was broadcast on TV over 2 nights. This is another reason the Eagles may not have wanted to cancel. This was big- time exposure for them. It probably would require a change in the setlist.

However, I do see UtW’s point about scrambling at the last minute for a viable replacement. That may not have been an option.

According to Randy’s concert chronology, there were a number of occasions where concerts were postponed. Reasons were not always provided though so it’s not clear if the postponement was due to the band or venue.

At any rate, the gist of my post was more about the fan reaction if indeed another drummer replaced Henley at the Cal Jam—I don’t think it would be outrage. If Glenn were replaced due to major unforeseeable circumstances e.g a family emergency, I don’t think it would be outrage either but fans would definitely be disappointed and they would certainly know the difference.

To FP’s point about younger people being familiar with these bands, I know a number of hip-hop acts like Jay-Z have sampled Earth Wind and Fire’s songs. Whether they are aware of it or not—who knows.

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by New Kid In Town View Post
    I remember reading somewhere that the Beatles hired a drummer when Ringo came down with strep throat or something with his tonsils.
    Jimmy Nicol played a couple of shows at the start of the Australian tour while Ringo recovered from tonsilitis. That was it.

Stuck on the Border

Thank You FP, I had remembered reading something about someone stepping in for Ringo when he was sick but that is all I knew.

Delilah, I just remembered something about the CJ footage. When watching it there is something that comes across stating the concert is on WPLJ 95.5 - which is and was a local big NY radio station. I used to listen to it all the time back then. And, you are right, I do remember something about the concert being shown on tv. That was probably their first big exposure to an American audience.

Border Rebel

I have been reading some old newspaper articles (1974) about California Jam. The concert was sponsored by and produced by ABC Entertainment, which was a division of the ABC network. ABC had a late night block of entertainment called "Wide World of Entertainment." This was an effort to compete with The Tonight Show. ABC's WWoE included comedy specials, documentaries, limited talk shows, and concert specials. The concerts would air a couple of times a month and were called ABC's "In Concert."

It appears that California Jam was a 4 part television series, airing from 11:30-1:00. When each part was aired, the tape from the concert was also broadcast on ABC affiliated radio stations.

May 10, 1974--One song from each group, usually the closing number. Interviews with various group members, concert information, crowd shots etc.
    May 24, 1974--Deep Purple, Black Sabbath, Rare Earth
    June 7, !974--Emerson,Lake,&Palmer, Black Oak Arkansas
    June 21, 1974 Seals & Crofts, Eagles, Earth, Wind & Fire

These shows were rebroadcast again in November of that year.

I have to think that Glenn's blimp comment about "Wide World of Sports" (which was a huge ABC hit at the time), was a slight wink and a nod to all of the network honchos who were there and in charge of editing and airing the concert. That comment made the show, didn't it? Smart man, great marketing!

Banned

Cool Re: California Jam 1974

I worked this thing - both Cal Jams - and it was not a pleasant experience, at least for the participants.

The air quality, for one thing, was awful. You couldn't really see the mountains surrounding the venue. And this concert was so huge that it felt like some kind of gigantic industrial project, complete with forklifts and water trucks and massive sets that had been pre-staged on flatbed trailers. One of the English guys said that, if the Third Reich had put on rock concerts, this is what they would look like.

I didn't think the Eagles set was particularly good, and the band wasn't particularly happy with it either, as I recall. One thing that may have contributed to this was the repeated failure of the A/C units in the dressing room/trailer; another issue was that the sound checks (because of the number of acts and because the whole load-in was running late) only lasted for maybe 15 or 20 minutes per band.

Border Desperado

Penumbra, how long do sound checks normally last, and what do bands do during sound check? I'm sorry if this seems like a ridiculous question, but I have never been on the inside of a band, or what they are looking for in sound check.
    I mean I understand the basics, based on the name, sound check....but I'd be interested to hear what sort of things they do, as far as which numbers, how much of a song, that type of thing.