View Poll Results: Should Don be inducted into the RnR HoF?

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

16 88.89%
  • No

0 0%
  • Don’t know/undecided

2 11.11%
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Should Don be inducted into the RnR Hall of Fame?

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Should Don be inducted into the RnR Hall of Fame?

Quote Originally Posted by YoungEaglesFan View Post
    I think that in the later part of the band, Which is the more popular part of the band history, Don Henley dominated the band for better or worse. And because of that many people associate that era with don. This is what I believe. Obviously I can be wrong and generalizations don’t cover everyone as well but I think it’s safe to associate the more popular part of the band with Don Henley. (I am not saying they did better because of don but rather he just happened to take the lead during that time). I don’t think people who go to eagles concerts dismiss Glenn’s work towards the band but a lot of times they have their preferences. I’m not sure when I say something it gets mistaken as me asserting it’s fact. I don’t know more than anyone else here, it’s just my opinion
    Your statement was 'most casual fans usually prefer the songs Don sings to Glenn's. You stated that as fact, not opinion.

Also this topic is supposed to be about their solo careers, not their Eagles work. You've now turned it right around where it's become about the Eagles.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by New Kid In Town View Post
    FP - I agree with what you are saying. However, truth be told, I don't think Glenn helped himself. In numerous interviews(print/tv) Glenn went on and on about the talents of Don Henley while minimizing his own talents. He would make jokes about his talent while stating Don was the voice of the Eagles and praising Don's solo career. He let Don become the voice of the Eagles. He stated it in the HOTE, which was watched by millions of people world wide. Glenn's work was not as "serious" as Don's. People tend to dismiss Glenn's career because he often dismissed it himself. I can't tell you how many you tube commentators say Glenn was the least talented member of the Eagles and that he had said that himself. I loved Glenn and think he was just as talented as Don but I am not sure if he thought that himself.

WF - Well said !
    'I sang less. We had Don Henley'.

Possibly the saddest thing he ever said, and now it's me taking it off topic, when it was supposed originally to be about whether Don should be in the HOF. Apologies.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    'I sang less. We had Don Henley'.

Possibly the saddest thing he ever said, and now it's me taking it off topic, when it was supposed originally to be about whether Don should be in the HOF. Apologies.
    I totally agree. I also apologize for getting off track.

I apologize for starting an off topic string of comments.

Out on the Border BerniesSurfboard's Avatar

I believe Don deserves to be in it. I've always felt he had a similar career trajectory as Peter Gabriel.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by BerniesSurfboard View Post
    I believe Don deserves to be in it. I've always felt he had a similar career trajectory as Peter Gabriel.
    In what way? I will offer some thoughts.

The work of both men purported to be 'edgier' and more 'socially conscious' than their former bands. (I would argue that Peter was far superior to Don in this regard but this is not the place to compare the music on a specific level). Don achieved massive commercial success somewhat earlier than Peter, who was more of a cult figure until the So album. Both of them spent a great deal of time championing various causes - in Peter's case world music & Amnesty.

Peter never returned to Genesis & never plays Genesis songs in concert. Don returned to the Eagles & stayed with them. He ended up playing it safe if you want to put it that way. He aslo veered over to the conservative world of country music.

You will never, ever, see Peter Gabriel fronting something calling itself 'Genesis' where he was the only original member. He isn't that visiible these days - he is very picky about choosing his projects, which is very frustrating for his fans. If a Geneis reunion occurs (and there have been vague rumblings after some comments by Tony Banks) Gabriel will not be part of it.
    Last edited by Freypower; 02-01-2018 at 06:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    In what way? I will offer some thoughts.

You will never, ever, see Peter Gabriel fronting something calling itself 'Genesis' where he was the only original member. He isn't that visiible these days - he is very picky about choosing his projects, which is very frustrating for his fans. If a Geneis reunion occurs (and there have been vague rumblings after some comments by Tony Banks) Gabriel will not be part of it.
    Didn’t Peter Gabriel leave Genesis more than 40 years ago? I believe there are a significant number of Genesis fans who identify the band with Phil Collins and not Peter Gabriel so much. I may be wrong but Genesis probably sold a whole lot more albums when Collins was the lead singer. To me, it would seem odd or even pointless for Genesis to reunite with Gabriel as the only original member. It’s a completely different scenario from the Eagles continuing on with Henley as the only original member. Don was always part of the band while it was a functioning entity and was an integral part of the Eagles’ biggest-selling albums.

Back to the poll, I’m surprised there aren’t more votes. Maybe I should have included an option “don’t care.”

I also figured there would be a couple of “no” votes due to doubts on how influential Henley’s music has been.

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Delilah View Post
    Didn’t Peter Gabriel leave Genesis more than 40 years ago? I believe there are a significant number of Genesis fans who identify the band with Phil Collins and not Peter Gabriel so much. I may be wrong but Genesis probably sold a whole lot more albums when Collins was the lead singer. To me, it would seem odd or even pointless for Genesis to reunite with Gabriel as the only original member. It’s a completely different scenario from the Eagles continuing on with Henley as the only original member. Don was always part of the band while it was a functioning entity and was an integral part of the Eagles’ biggest-selling albums.

Back to the poll, I’m surprised there aren’t more votes. Maybe I should have included an option “don’t care.”

I also figured there would be a couple of “no” votes due to doubts on how influential Henley’s music has been.

You would be surprised how many people who claim to be Genesis fans never accepted Genesis without Gabriel. It probably is not a good analogy & not relevant to the topic of whether Henley deserves to be inducted. I can't let my own personal preference for Gabriel's work allow me to make further comment other than what I said above, except that in my view his solo music has been more influential world wide than Henley's has.
    Last edited by Freypower; 02-01-2018 at 08:08 PM.