Page 108 of 136 FirstFirst ... 85898104105106107108109110111112118 ... LastLast
Results 1,071 to 1,080 of 1351

Thread: Sporting Sensations

Stuck on the Border Jonny Come Lately's Avatar
    Watching the hazy sun sinking in the sea in England

Default Re: Sporting Sensations

The Swansea game last night was great, easily the best I've seen Liverpool play at home all season. It reminded a lot more of the performances from last season although I was most impressed by Lallana - his first goal was clearly a fluke but the second was an excellent finish. The team selection seemed right too, the front three were fluid and dynamic but I also think having two defenders (Manquillo and Moreno) as wing-backs helped rather than Markovic, who is a more attacking player, and Henderson who plays better when deployed centrally. We usually seem to do well against them, a couple of years ago when Swansea were above us in the table we beat them 5-0 at Anfield.

Good suggestion about Rory McIlroy, I think I'll use that response next time. I must admit I did expect McIlroy to win the award and thought that Lewis seemed quite surprised himself when the winner was announced. I was happy to see him the award myself, one argument I've heard against him was that he'd already won it, which isn't true (he was runner up in 2007 and 200. Also, I thought Button was unlucky not to win the award in 2009, he was beaten by Ryan Giggs who had a weak case based on his achievements that year and seemingly the main award became a second Lifetime Achievement Award for one year only. (Giggs' former team-mate David Beckham - 18 months younger - won the Lifetime Achievement Award the following year).

I was very impressed by Ricciardo this season, I certainly did not expect him to beat Vettel who looked surprisingly ordinary much of the time. I can understand Vettel's move to Ferrari from an emotional viewpoint think this will be another disappointing season for them. One guy I feel sympathetic for is Jean-Eric Vergne, who doesn't have a race drive even though he compared well with Ricciardo and Kvyat, the two current Red Bull drivers and scored more points than the latter in 2014. I'll be watching the progress of McLaren with interest - they are a bit of a wildcard with the Honda engine and Alonso has shown that he can get close to the maximum from average cars - the 2012 Ferrari was not my idea of a championship winning machine, yet it nearly was.

When it comes to Schumacher, I started watching F1 regularly in 2007 so just about missed him first time around. Overall I would say I'm an admirer if not an outright fan although there were definitely times when he took it too far (I think stopping on track during qualifying at Monaco was his lowest point). He was clearly the best driver on the grid for many years, for instance although his 1997 season was marred by his collision with Villeneuve at the final race it was impressive that he was in contention for the title against the superior Williams. Had Schumacher been in the 1994-97 Williams cars they'd have been absolutely unstoppable I reckon. I have James Allen's The Edge Of Greatness book on Schumacher which I enjoyed reading immensely. However, I think Senna was best driver of the 'modern' era if this is counted as being from the introduction of front and rear wings in the late 1960s (I've read that, aerodynamically, 1950s F1 cars have more in common with Moto GP bikes than modern F1 cars as they had far less downforce). He had greater competition than Schumacher from Prost and Mansell and shared his ability to wring results from inferior cars (see his hugely impressive 1993 season, where he took on the mighty Williams Renault in an underpowered McLaren Ford), although I admit he also shared Schumacher's propensity for controversy and collisions at crucial moments.

tlr, I think this moment is far better (yes, I'm taking the mick out of my own team):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8DDdQ8PJms

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

One week until Opening Day!!! WooHoo, my Buccos are back in action and it means spring is finally here.
    VK

Stuck on the Border Houston Baby's Avatar

I am right there with you VA!!
    First time in years and years that I will miss the Astros opening day. I will be entering Florida just as they are leaving!
    Oh well, I think I will catch the first game of the Lakeland Tigers next Thursday and think of Glenn. Lakeland Tigers are the Class A team of the Detroit Tigers.

We open up against the Reds, and you have no idea how tempting it is to drive up there to catch one of the games. After driving 15+ hours this weekend, I'm not sure I'm up to driving 4 additional hours with two of them late at night.
    VK

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Can't wait and we open with the Cubs! My Cards are ready and waiting!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

I think I mentioned this on Facebook a month ago or so, there's a large contingent of Cubs fans who think they'll win the World Series just because the movie Back To The Future said they'd win in 2015. I guess they need to pin their hopes on something... I can get away with saying that since TBF no longer posts on here...
    VK

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Va, they can dream, I guess!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Opening Day! It's nice weather, Spring may finally be here! Let's go Mets!

Quote Originally Posted by ktdids View Post
    Opening Day! It's nice weather, Spring may finally be here! Let's go Mets!
    Yes, right at the moment my Buccos are in Cincinnati and it's a rain delay. Way better than a snow delay! Let's go Bucs!
    VK