Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Leeds Arena, Leeds, June 23, 2014

Default Leeds Arena, Leeds, June 23, 2014

A very complimentary review but they sang "Hollywood Waltz" & songs from "Long Road To Eden"? http://www.ilkleygazette.co.uk/news/..._23/?ref=var_0

Default Re: Leeds Arena, Leeds, June 23, 2014

Another review, 4 out of 5 stars. http://www.theguardian.com/music/201...sh-frey-leadon

At least this reviewer sees what we fans have seen on stage during these concerts, as per this quote
    The free-flowing humour suggests they are comfortable with each other now. Henley jokes that he can't remember recording The Long Run, while Walsh brings the house down with Life's Been Good's spoof of rock excess ("My Maserati does 185 / I lost my licence, now I don't drive").
    Did anyone here go to this show?

Stuck on the Border

The Ilkley Gazette is a local rag so perhaps mistakes are inevitable (Note: Mark Knopfler started his career working as a journalist on a Leeds newspaper)!

Nice to see the Guardian being positive. What a shame that on this tour there have been virtually no photos. Not that it matters, as Glenn seems to have given up wearing any shirt except the blue one.

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

We had the blue one again last night for the first half and the white one for the second half.
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Quote Originally Posted by GlennLover View Post
    A very complimentary review but they sang "Hollywood Waltz" & songs from "Long Road To Eden"? http://www.ilkleygazette.co.uk/news/..._23/?ref=var_0
    Thanks. They didn't really play Hollywood Waltz, did they?

SS
    xx
    http://secretsquirrelshorts.blogspot...ovie-more.html

Border Troubadour

I doubt it - it has never been performed live and I don't see why after nearly one hundred shows they'd change it all of a sudden for the first time.

Here’s another review of the show:

http://gettothefront.co.uk/2014/06/l...eds-23rd-june/

The review is positive but ends with this comment:
    There was a sour note to the evening though, and something of a jarring omission. The tour is billed as the History Of The Eagles and while former member Randy Meisner was given a respectful shout out by Frey during the introduction to “Take It To The Limit”, Don Felder’s contribution to the band was studiously and, to my mind, rather pettily ignored altogether. His airbrushing from this history seems so Stalinist that it was almost a surprise to see him still appearing in the photos used in the programme and not as a silhouette. To me this reflected poorly on Frey and Henley, who had they name checked Felder, admitted that they had had their differences, but acknowledged that he too was part of their history they would have looked much more gracious, and bigger people.
    I think the reviewer is right in pointing that out. Don Felder was part of the band’s history. They should mention him during the shows on this tour.

Border Troubadour

I would agree. It reminds me in a sense of Black Sabbath's original drummer Bill Ward when he left back in 2011: since then he's been cropped out of even childhood / amateur photos of them together; it's a very odd and slightly childish way of rewriting history to suit the present. Of course the Eagles have had the courtesy to leave Felder in images etc, but it is a hugely glaring omission from what especially in the first half is a very thorough and open set of speeches on various matters. I know Frey still probably detests him and Henley can't refer to him by anything other than 'Mr. Felder', but at the very least mention him during the On The Border intro video...

Stuck on the Border

What a can of worms I guess this will open up. I will state my opinion & then make no further comment.

To be as brief as possible, it would be hypocritical of them to mention Felder. They have no time for him & all he has done since he was fired is tell the world how horrible they are (and he still does this, every chance he gets). I see no reason why he should be mentioned. I see no reason why they would look better if they did. It would be insincere, empty & hollow & would not go anywhere near satisifying those who support Felder's views on all this. I'm sorry, but that's what I think. However I should state that I do understand the reasons why some may feel the opposite.
    Last edited by Freypower; 06-28-2014 at 09:12 PM.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Wink Re: Leeds Arena, Leeds, June 23, 2014

I have to agree, FP. No matter how the band handles the Felder situation, they will be criticized by some. Considering that it is such a controversial topic, even among fans, it is understandable that there will be disagreement about the way they handle it. To me, this one falls in the category of "they're damned if they do and damned if they don't".

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016