Thread: Eagles, O2 Dublin 7 June 2014

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

Default Eagles, O2 Dublin 7 June 2014

Ladies, I'm so sorry it has taken so long for me to post a review, I have been up to my tonsils with my end of year photography project and exhibition which kicked off today. However I do feel that while obviously many aspects of Saturdays concert was the same as the other nights there were some differences so its worth highlighting them.

Firstly, Desperada and I elected for floor standing spaces instead of seats for this one. However we went Early Entry which meant we were able to register with the VIP desk, and in fact were the second pair to do so! This meant we were led into the Arena just before doors opened to the general public. And as a result we were literally at the centre of the barrier, right up at the front. The security staff were much friendlier and more relaxed, certainly with us and at one stage thought they might be able to let us 'sneak' a few pics, but then as the start of the show approached we were told no, it wasn't possible.

The start was as always, but there seemed to be a louder crowd than the previous evening, with a lot more shouting and cheering even after 'Saturday Night' and so much so that Glenn had to gesture to a few people to quieten down. However it was good natured and enthusiastic rather than rowdy.
    Don changed his opening speech slightly referring to the fact that it WAS Saturday Night and also mentioned that Bloomsday was coming up (Well he did study English!). Glenn did not do the usual welcome, and comment on the indoor venue like he had the previous nights. I also noticed that he was keeping his intros slightly shorter and thought it might be a timing thing. He had a shorter intro to LE but DID do the Plaintiff joke. By then it was coming apparent to both of us why. I may have mentioned that he sounded ever so slightly hoarse on Wednesday and the seemed to recover. Well on Saturday it seemed he had a full blown cold and was keeping as much of his voice power as possible for singing. Quite a reasonable decision. He was coughing and sneezing quite a bit particularly when he wasn't taking lead, and poor guy, seemed miserable. But fair play to him, he carried on and you would not have noticed any of this if it was your only Eagles concert, or you were sitting further away. It was just little things like not holding a note for as long as he normally would (like the Eaaaaasy in TIE was just Easy) Don was in great form and I'd say did as much as he could to cover for Glenn . I also think Glenn looked at me a couple of times early on in the show as in 'I've seen her before but not sure where?'
    He wore the usual dark blue shirt for the first half of the show but I was very pleasantly surprised by the shirt he replaced it by in the second half, It was still blue, but light and dark checks with a yellow guideline through the checks. I loved it on him and was really sorry I couldn't manage even one pic!!
    Ok, sorry for the Glenn bias, but I really felt for him out there. He really needed a hot whiskey and an early night!!!
    Timothy looked great and sang great. When he was talking he also mentioned that some members of his wife's family were at the show having come from Derry so that got them a cheer.
    Joe as always blistered through all his songs and I just loved the guitar banter between himself and Glenn during Funk 49.
    By the time they finished LITFL the whole arena was on fire and I will be honest, I have never heard a band cheered as loudly as they were when they went off before the first encore. Even compared to the other two nights the roof was practically lifted off the building. Just to be there with such a legendary iconic band was amazing. Of course the cheering and singing continued right through the encores, and as everyone left the building later there was nothing but praise from certainly anyone I spoke to.
    Of course we hung back to see what might come our way. I managed to get one of Glenn 's picks and another one was dropped on the floor. I was looking for it for Desperada but she also managed one from one of Glenn 's techies. The writing is pretty much scratched away on mine, but I don't care at all.

The end of 3 amazing nights and now I get to do it all again on Monday in London!!!
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Default Re: Eagles, O2 Dublin 7 June 2014

That just means the pick is well used, GA, which is more of a treasure than a pristine one their fingers never touched.

Great review - thanks for taking the time!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Border Troubadour

Great review GA

[quote]
    Don changed his opening speech slightly referring to the fact that it WAS Saturday Night and also mentioned that Bloomsday was coming up [quote]

You see this is the reason I love Don - erudite and hot!!!

I bet he's even read Ulysses...

Oh how I wish I was going with you to the show Monday night, GA - but I will be there in spirit (and no, not the one we haven't had since 1969...)

Remember me if there's anything lying on the floor at the end of the night...animal or mineral would do as a souvenir

P.S. How did the exhibition go?
    ...Well it sure makes you wonder the things that some people will say. They can see black and white but they don't seem to notice the grey...

I have to admit, Ulysses is not a favorite of mine, but Bloomsday always sounded fun. I wonder if he's read Dubliners. I'm doing a conference presentation Joyce's portrayal of the connections between gender, desire, and power in "Araby" this autumn for the SCMLA. I love to hear literary references from our guys, and Don is not short on supplying them!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

I'm sorry to hear that Glenn is fighting a cold! He was fighting one when I saw them in Feb. and Mar., though mostly past it, I think, as I certainly couldn't tell in Cincinnati. I don't remember it being a problem in Raleigh, but then, I don't remember much about that one at all.

I'm glad you had such a good time, and had such a good place to stand. I'm sure he does remember where's he's seen you (if not exactly what concerts), since he seems to be very good with faces.

I can't wait to hear your reviews from the upcoming concerts!! You are likely just as excited!
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Ga, great review! I am sorry to hear Glenn wasn't quite up to par. I hope he's better for tonight's show!

Very cool you and Desperada got picks!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

Glenn was much better in London, back to his old self!
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP