Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: London 18 June 2014

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Default Re: London 18 June 2014

Quote Originally Posted by StephUK View Post
    The electronic notice above the door to the arena said 'no photography during tonights performance'.
    I don't know where your seats were Va & Thelastresort, but we were in the front row & there was certainly no photos allowed down there. Security were telling people to put cameras/mobile phones away all through the show.
    Same on Friday night when we were in 4th row.
    Steph, I wasn't there! I have friends who were there for those shows, in the first few rows, and that's what they told me. They said there were announcements and not on the big screens like the previous shows.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

I did not bring my camera any of the last 3 shows. However instead of switching my phone off for the second half in London I appear to have accidentally hit the 'record' button on the voice recorder of my phone.
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Excellent!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

You silly girl!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by Glennsallnighter View Post
    I did not bring my camera any of the last 3 shows. However instead of switching my phone off for the second half in London I appear to have accidentally hit the 'record' button on the voice recorder of my phone.
    Oh dear. That's such a shame. Those pesky phones.

A woman next to me on Friday (Level 1) managed to video One of These Nights and another track simply by keeping her camera hidden. Hope that they come out. Security didn't seem too fussed over those of us who were further away.

Friday was great too but no time to review at mo.

SS
    xx
    http://secretsquirrelshorts.blogspot...ovie-more.html

Out on the Border bashful badger's Avatar

Default Re: London 18 June

Quote Originally Posted by VAisForEagleLovers View Post
    Niall Horan of One Direction was at last night's show and here's some of his tweets:

The instagram picture was extremely blurry.
    I did a short blog a while back about Niall’s love of the Eagles here - http://bashfulbadgersblog.wordpress....t-eagles-show/.
    It doesn't sound like he got naked, as promised though.

Yes, Wednesday we were on the floor and in the second row but way to the left of the stage so the view wasn't as great as we’d expected. Good thing was there was a massive aisle area to the side of us before the next tier up. We’d be able to dance without getting in anyone’s way. Some hope.

Secret and I are both what I can only describe as insubordinate. We really don’t like being told what to do and when to do it, especially if there’s no good reason for the rule. We pretty soon got up to dance in the aisle, which was big enough to drive a truck up, only to be sent back to our seats because this had to be kept free ‘for health and safety’ despite the fact that a bunch of security staff were gathered there causing way more obstruction than us.

We hadn't danced till allowed to on the Monday because we would have been in the way of other people.

We sat down again. The guys behind us sympathised. I realised that, because of the acute angle we had to the stage, if I stood and danced in my place, there’s no way I could block anyone’s view. Which was what I thought was the point of the ban. Checked with the guy behind me and he confirmed I wouldn't be blocking him and urged me to go for it. I was up for about three seconds before the staff cautioned me once more. I explained that I wasn't in anyone’s way (I know that can be a pain as I'm only 5 ft 3) but was informed this was what the band wanted enforced.

They obviously didn't think they could allow any relaxation of the rule. Another lady, a kindred spirit, from the front row, tried to dance a few times and got the same heavy-handed response.

No wonder that when the ban was finally lifted, not many people felt like responding, even with Timothy hopefully gesturing us up from our seats. Of course I knew that dancing was no longer prohibited but probably many had witnessed our previous experiences and didn't dare rise. Apart from ‘Heartache’, not many of the next songs were all that danceable in any case.

But, irritatingly, when the front row stood up, they were about two foot taller than us. They'd been patently bored throughout, as were the corporate freeloaders next to us, and the tall girl in four-inch heels most reluctant to stand, but just did so because everyone else had. In fact, her partner nudged her to get her to rise. They did not move AT ALL. I don’t think either one ever even tapped a foot. But successfully blocked our view of the stage nevertheless.

I have to fill in a survey from the 02 about my experience. They may be sorry they asked.

But a good show. I would love to have heard something from Long Road though and more Bernie, less Joe.

Here's one pic from the night. Others won't upload at mo.

SS
    xx
    http://secretsquirrelshorts.blogspot...ovie-more.html
    Attached Images Attached Images

Out on the Border

Thumbs down Re: London 18 June 2014

I know I am going to get torched because of this, but I cannot hold back...my disappointment. I now live in Spain and the chances of me seeing a concert from artists I love are slim and none...so I decided to spend hard-earned money to fly to London and purchase a Row H VIP seat to the "History" of the Eagles tour. I am not a casual fan...I am hard core. My first show was Roosevelt Stadium, Jersey City, NJ with Boz Scaggs...the place does not even exist anymore. Then Giants Stadium with Heart and LRB, Philadelphia Spectrum (also does not exist), Atlantic City, Philadelphia again, Newark, NJ...but this, this needs to end.
    This was a true fund raiser. I knew the setlist and still decided to go. "Train Leaves Here This Morning?" Other than "Earlybird", "Train" was the weakest track on the debut album! Why not "My Man?" The Bernie Leadon feature is a farce. Bernie sold out. And Glenn sends best wishes to Randy Meisner??? What a phony! Please Glenn do not sing "Limit" ever again! That song is all about the ending, it's amazing climax with those powerful harmonies building and thundering until Randy just knocked it out of the park. And the same old jokes...how long with the ex-wife "Plaintiff" joke...how many tours do we have to suffer with that? "Lyin' Eyes" was a great song...a great song, for radio as was "New Kid." They are not concert songs. We shouldn't need Joe Walsh to get all stupid to get the crowd going with that silly helmet cam...again..."Heartache Tonight" can do it, actually "Outlaw Man" can do it. How about dusting that off for your true fans? (and by the way, a great new rendition of Heartache). The Long Road Out of Eden was a masterpiece...how could that not be a part of The "History"? And Don...oh Don, my favorite...your voice was awful, you are terribly out of shape...you look and sound old. I thought you were better than that? You let Frey talk you into this until when? The best 2 singers in the group were awful that night - Timmy and Don and I have heard Don solo have a sore throat but have never heard Timothy be off. This was the worst Eagles concert ever and unless these 5 reunite with Felder and Meisner, Hell would really have to freeze over until I see them ever again. Please gentlemen, the legacy is still somewhat intact...Glenn Frey said years ago that he didn't want to be 60 years old and playing Take It Easy with a beer belly...well Glenn???

Border Troubadour

Train Leaves Here This Morning supports the chronology of the first half of the show. Earlybird would be too complex, Twenty One would be quite an odd song to perform, and My Man has never been performed live whatsoever, it was written by Bernie as a tribute to his friend Gram Parsons. It would also be too complex as it requires, among others, steel pedal, bass and percussion if you were to make a reasonable go of it. That leaves you with Bitter Creek as the only other option, which I would prefer, but it makes it very Desperado-heavy. It's also a bit dark for the easy listening, acoustic guitar and beer set-up they talk about.

Lyin' Eyes must do something for the audience, bearing in mind to the best of my awareness it's only one of about six pre-Long Run songs that has never, ever been dropped, I don't even think Take It Easy or Desperado have that accolade. Similarly I'd be willing to bet that it's their most popular song after Hotel California, Take It Easy and Desperado, it got a huge reception at both gigs I went to and at one tribute band I saw got the biggest reaction of the night. It is also probably the best demonstration they have of their vocal harmonies, which is what landed them a record deal in the first place way back 43 years ago.

New Kid in Town is probably my favourite mainstream Eagles song, I would be devastated if I went to a gig of theirs and it was omitted, their performance of it at Washington in 1977 is my favourite live performance of anything ever. Surely if you question these two inclusions then the same eye needs casting over I Can't Tell You Why, Doolin-Dalton / Desperado Reprise and Pretty Maids All in a Row?

I will agree I think they overplay Joe's wackiness a bit, but that's his reputation, he's the guitarist version of Keith Moon and I'm sure many of the old back in the day fans who idolised and loved him would be disappointed if he came out all quiet and only did nice, uniform songs like In The City and PMAIAR.

Leadon didn't sell out. I very strongly suspect he left with the heaviest heart (Felder's is debatable), pouring a beer over someone and disagreeing with musical direction before they were even at their zenith I suspect is easily forgiven and forgotten, especially since Leadon has apologised for his conduct.

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Peter I'm sorry you have such a bad opinion of your latest concert experience. I don't care at all for most of the songs you suggested so it goes without saying I don't agree with you! I've been to ten HOTE concerts so far and loved each one. To each their own. I won't torch you...you're entitled to your opinion. I'm always surprised when someone new searches out a fan site to make such a negative comment as their first post! I'm just glad that for every fan they seem to have lost over the documentary and tour, they seem to have picked up two others.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.