Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Glenn's heritage?

Default Re: Glenn's heritage?

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    He does mention him at the Royal Oak show. He says his aunt & uncle are there & that without his aunt & uncle his mother would never have met his real father.

I think about this from time to time but I don't really want to find out what his birth surname was. Frey is who he is.
    I agree as well!

Yeah it would be weird to hear a different last name. What is the Royal Oak show. Was it a show with the Eagles or a solo show?

It was a solo show - Royal Oak is his hometown, and it was a special "last show" for the local theater. It's been a while since I listened to it. I had forgotten t hat part; my wretched memory is such a liability!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

I totally agree that he is "Frey" both in his own mind and in the worlds. And for that very reason, I would suggest that when Glenn mentions his "real" father in the Royal Oaks show, he is referring to Eddie rather than his biological father. He has always maintained that he considers Eddie to be his real father. Based on everything I've ever heard, my guess is that Glenn has little or no recollection of his biological father. I can relate very well to this on a personal level because I also consider my step-father to be my real father even though, unlike Glenn, I actually did know my biological father.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    Based on everything I've ever heard, my guess is that Glenn has little or no recollection of his biological father.
    I more or less agree, Dreamer. When I read it, I assumed he meant Eddie as his real father. I would never presume to make a statement on Glenn's feelings on the matter (unlike others, I've not read or heard much on the subject), but a very good friend of mine, when she says 'real father', she means her stepfather. She has gotten to know her biological father in the last twenty years or so, and refers to him as her 'other' dad. I'm sure that having finally gotten this straight in my head (I think) regarding her situation colors my thinking when others discuss something similar.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Stuck on the Border

That confuses me because of the reference to his aunt & uncle. I just assumed that 'real' meant 'biological'. I guess I have got it wrong here.

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    That confuses me because of the reference to his aunt & uncle. I just assumed that 'real' meant 'biological'. I guess I have got it wrong here.
    To me, a real parent is one that the heart views as the parent. Not necessarily someone you merely share DNA with. Yet there are a lot who see it the same way you do, so I wouldn't say you got it wrong. I'd say we don't know.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Stuck on the Border

I should clarify that I agree with everybody's view that Glenn regards his 'real' father as Eddie, but I interpreted the word in that particular context to mean 'biological'.

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

I guess it could go either way and so we'll never know for sure!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Well, I would suppose that Glenn Frey would have felt close to his mother, and that he may have been thanking his "real father" for always being a "real father" to him. Of course, Glenn Frey could instead have been abstractly including all of his parents, and maybe that is why he is not specific.

Glenn Frey as a star and a public figure standing in the spotlight may have intended to include everyone who made his resulting situation (talent, career, fame, fortune & celebrity) and his life possible, and he may have chosen to be deliberately vague to do this.

I'm sure he wouldn't have made a public statement about his relatives that he didn't think about ahead of time.

As far as I know, his mother was remarried; and she had been married twice. (But don't quote me--this is not definite, bedrock or certain--this is all speculation, opinion, and gossip;--and I'm including with the speculation and gossip elements of the discussion that Glenn also may be some percent French. I don't know the answer to this one, but ?maybe his last name would even be a French name? Now, this heritage musing has once again become pure gossip and speculation).

I think the public side should be the only side socially.
    Last edited by Lisa; 12-08-2014 at 03:18 PM.