Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The "Eagles giving each other compliments" Thread

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: The "Eagles giving each other compliments" Thread

Randy http://www.smoothjazznow.com/intervi...dy_meisner.htm
    John - Do you remember the first gig you played with the other guys in the Eagle's?
    Randy - Yeah, it was the first time I played with Linda Ronstadt in San Jose, California and it was so much fun playing with Don and Glen. (Laughing) That was when it all started. Don and Glen knew me from Poco and Glen came from a group called Longbranch Pennywhistle with J.D. Souther. Henley came from a group out of Texas called Shiloh. So, that is how we all met and for me it all started with them noticing me in Poco. Then David Geffen got involved once we were already together.

Randy - Don he is a perfectionist and so am I. So, I guess we are both the same. I have heard Don's last album and he is always good. He has got the golden throat. I think David Geffen said that of him so many years ago. Looking back I had the real high voice in the Eagles. The purpose of the whole Eagles thing to me was that combination and the chemistry that made all the harmonies just sound perfect. The funny thing is after we made those albums I never listened to them and it is only when some one comes over or I am at some body's house and it gets played in the background that is when I'll tell myself, "Damn, these records are good." (Laughing)
    There's another interview that I can't find at the moment in which Randy is asked who inspired him and he says Glenn Frey. He talks about how Glenn didn't always sing on-key in the early days but how he worked on it until he got it right every time.

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by UndertheWire View Post
    There's another interview that I can't find at the moment in which Randy is asked who inspired him and he says Glenn Frey. He talks about how Glenn didn't always sing on-key in the early days but how he worked on it until he got it right every time.
    I think that's what is known as a back-handed or left-handed compliment, you know like "For a fat girl, you don't sweat much."

But maybe Randy didn't mean it as a subtle dig and it's just my evil mind. I look forward to the forthcoming "Eagles insulting each other" thread

Quote Originally Posted by NightMistBlue View Post
    I think that's what is known as a back-handed or left-handed compliment, you know like "For a fat girl, you don't sweat much."

But maybe Randy didn't mean it as a subtle dig and it's just my evil mind. I look forward to the forthcoming "Eagles insulting each other" thread

This is just too funny.

Quote Originally Posted by UndertheWire View Post
    Randy http://www.smoothjazznow.com/intervi...dy_meisner.htm
    [/COLOR][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

I think Randy is just saying that Glenn always wanted everything he sang to sound perfect. Practice makes Perfect.

So Put Me On A Highway And Show Me A Sign
    And Take It To The Limit One More Time..............

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

Quote Originally Posted by DJ View Post
    I think Randy is just saying that Glenn always wanted everything he sang to sound perfect. Practice makes Perfect.
    I thought that Don Henley was the perfectionist of the group. Maybe I was wrong.
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AlreadyGone95 View Post
    I thought that Don Henley was the perfectionist of the group. Maybe I was wrong.
    They both are, and always have been as far as I can tell. From the beginning, they both knew that taking short cuts wouldn't get them where they wanted to be.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Great idea for a thread.

Joe at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction ...

"I'd like to thank Don and Glenn for writing all those songs. It makes my job real easy".

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Glenn, from a 1984 interview:

When we had Don Henley to sing the rock 'n' roll songs, why should I screw around with it at a lot? I loved the way he sings-he reminds me of Seger, Wilson Pickett, the real thing. I think emphasizing his voice really helped push us over the top.
    No, as a matter of fact, I'm a happy lead guitarist. But then again, the best way to learn how to play guitar is to play with people who are better than you are. So what does it hurt me to play with the Joe Walshes and the Don Felders and the Bernie Leadons of this world?
    About Don:
    I have a great deal of respect for him, and the reason he and I don't talk so much is because the Eagles were our common interest, not because we had any falling out.
    VK

Don, from a 1984 article published just ahead of Glenn's interview mentioned above:

Glenn never thought of himself as a great lead player, he was sort of intimidated by Joe Walsh and Don Felder, even though he hired them. But Glenn was like the glue, he was like what Keith Richards is to the Rolling Stones- he was a great rhythm player; he understood the importance of Chuck Berry and of great rhythm guitar. He understood how to play in his place and stay in his place and make everybody else look good, not have to step out in the spotlight and take a solo and be a virtuoso.
    I still love Glenn and I know that he still loves me and stuff.
    VK

Stuck on the Border

Bernie (maybe from 2004 but I've closed the tab):
    But I give a lot of credit to Glenn Frey who insisted that we got commercial success with three hits on the first album, but that we should immediately do an artsy album and try to get critical success also as soon as possible. He thought that would help give the band enough weight to last for awhile. The band lasted for awhile so maybe that was the right move.
    This is form the 90s.
    Leadon and Frey had agreed that a second lead player would give the group a tougher sound. "Neither one of us were as facile as Don Felder at classical lead guitar," says Leadon. "But in our own way, we had out own little styles. Mine was more the country, and Frey's was more the blues.
    "So when Felder came in, we made room for him, which meant Frey and I both played less lead guitar.
    "But that was ok - it meant the band's music expanded, that we weren't status creatively. I was enjoying it a lot, playing with Felder again, and it seemed like the political stuff in the band eased off for a while."
    These guys don't go overboard with the praise, do they?