Page 9 of 21 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Thread: Eagles Song Survivor: One of These Nights

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Default Re: Eagles Song Survivor: One of These Nights

Things should really start getting interesting now. I'm not going to vote yet, but I just want to come to the defense of Hollywood Waltz. I love the vocals, lyrics, and melody to the song. As far as Too Many Hands, I think the lyrics are pretty good, but I'm not crazy about the melody or Randy's vocals. I can't even iput my finger on what it is about the vocal that I dislike, but they just rub me the wrong way.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Come Lately View Post
    I can sympathise with tlr's comments - I personally find I can split this album into three groups of three songs. To me there are the three singles, all of which are extremely strong Eagles songs and fully deserve the praise they get, there are another three songs which I like a lot and I consider to be underrated, and the final three I find a bit 'meh' and are among the Eagles songs I play least often. I do like this album quite a lot as a whole, but I myself don't think it's as good as Desperado or Hotel California.
    JCL - I pretty much agree that this album is uneven for the reasons you cite. The only thing I differ with you about is that I would rate After the Thrill Is Gone with the 'big three' in terms of quality. It's true it wasn't a megahit like the others, but IMHO, it is just as good.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

As I think I've stated before OTTN is my 2nd favorite Eagles album. I love almost every song on the album. It seems that barring the 3 hits of the album, my choices for the other great songs is in the minority here. Too Many hands is my favorite of the non hits on the album. I've already stated my opinion of ATTIG. Hollywood Waltz, I feel the same way about it as I do ATTIG. Ultimately, this round I'll be voting for one of those 2. I'm gonna wait a bit before voting.
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    Things should really start getting interesting now. I'm not going to vote yet, but I just want to come to the defense of Hollywood Waltz. I love the vocals, lyrics, and melody to the song. As far as Too Many Hands, I think the lyrics are pretty good, but I'm not crazy about the melody or Randy's vocals. I can't even put my finger on what it is about the vocal that I dislike, but they just rub me the wrong way.
    I've just checked back and it looks like you're the only voter who hasn't voted for Visions. Congratulations Ive always been a dreamer.

I can imagine the discord in the ranks with Glenn and Don really upping their game after On The Border and coming up with such great songs while the rest of the band were treading water.

At best, it's a second rate Eagles song, I vote for Too Many Hands.

Border Rebel

I vote for "Hollywood Waltz." I love "Too Many Hands." Having seen it played live early on, the duel lead guitar work between Frey and Felder is excellent (both live and in the studio) and I think Randy does a great job with the vocals.

Stuck on the Border

How did I miss voting last round? Good to see Visions go.

I was holding off this time, in case I needed to make a strategic vote to save After the Thrill is Gone, but I'd probably forget again.

This round I vote for Too Many Hands. After listening to it and Hollywood Waltz back to back, it was an easy decision. I like some aspects of TMH but it's a bit repetitive and I don't like Randy's voice on it. Of course JotS is better than both of them.

I'll vote for TITTL over TMH, because I love Randy's deeper tracks. TITTL drives me nuts with its overexposure. I swear, sometimes people think it's the only song that man has ever wrote/sang for the Eagles!
    "You thought you would be satisfied, but you never will learn to be still."

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Good for you, NOLA - I like how you think. It also irritates me when people overemphasize R.'s high notes, like that's the only thing the guy brought to the table.

Stuck on the Border

I like Randy best on Tryin' and Take the Devil. With TMH, he sounds like he's singing from the end of a long corridor.

Quote Originally Posted by NightMistBlue View Post
    Good for you, NOLA - I like how you think. It also irritates me when people overemphasize R.'s high notes, like that's the only thing the guy brought to the table.
    Thank you, NMB. Between yours and my points of view, sometimes I wonder if it drives him nuts!
    "You thought you would be satisfied, but you never will learn to be still."

I'm not fan of Too Many Hands or Hollywood Waltz, but I'm going to go with Hollywood Waltz.