Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Other contemporary bands/artists Eagles loved

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Other contemporary bands/artists Eagles loved

Chuck Berry and James Brown! They were both still playing in the 70s, so that makes them contemporary and everyone knows how much Glenn loves them.

Add in B.B. King. Don Felder was a big fan. Bill Szymzcyk, too. It wouldn't be surprised if Glenn also liked him.

I know Doug Dillard has been mentioned, but this is from Bernie's eulogy for him:
    A few years later, when I was 20, after moving to Los Angeles, I made my pilgrimage to Doug Dillard’s apartment in Beachwood Canyon in LA, right below the big Hollywood Sign. Our mutual friend Bill Martin, who was here in Nashville visiting Doug on his birthday this past March, and was in Doug’s apartment at the time, recalled that I knocked on the door, and when Doug opened the door, I said: “Hi, I’m a banjo player from Gainesville, Florida, and I’m here to learn everything you know”, and Doug said “Well, come on in!”
    I pretty much didn’t leave. I didn’t have anywhere to live, and Doug let me sleep on his couch for over a year. They fed me when I looked hungry, and the neighbors did too, sort of like I was a stray cat. I was, but the obsessed banjo type.

http://tagsrwc.com/the_ebullet/doug-dillard-obituary/
    Last edited by UndertheWire; 08-08-2015 at 02:39 PM.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Yeah - I have an old Party of Two bootleg where Glenn tells a funny story about running into James Brown in a men's public restroom. And I think they all must be fans of B. B. King. Glenn appeared on one of his last, if not the last album, and we saw B. B. King open for Joe in Atlantic City a few years ago.

Some other off the top of my head:

Elvis
    Rick Nelson (Randy was in the Stone Canyon band)
    Gram Parsons (Bernie was in The Flying Burrito Brothers with him)
    Dan Folgelberg (Joe, in particular, was close to him)

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Funk 50 View Post
    I was going to mention Mark Knopfler, Freypower but I thought I'd allow you the honour Certainly no need to ask forgiveness,

I'm sure the guys are fans of Joe's, The Smoker You Drink The Player You Get album. It initiated Joe and Bill Szymczyk working with the band, and to a much lesser extent, Joe Vitale.

Timothy's got a thing for The Kingston Trio, and when asked to perform a classic track on a UK Radio station he opted for Blind Faith's Can't Find My Way Home. Glenn did Take It To The Limit, when he was asked.
    Given that Joe joined the Eagles I would have thought it went without saying that the Eagles liked his work.

TITTL is an Eagles song which Glenn co-wrote so how it comes under the heading of 'other contemporary bands' I'm afraid I don't know. As for 'when he was asked' I doubt there was any 'asking' involved. It was probably the other way around; he would have asked the rest of the Eagles if they wanted to do it.

Banned

It was a topical cul-de-sac but Glenn performed Take It To The Limit when asked by a UK radio station to perform a classic oldie. Tim chose Blind Faith's Can't Find My Way Home. Tim was attracted to Steve Winwood's vocals, in the late 60s,early 70s, as they were in his vocal range. Joe's a Winwood pal too.

There's a book that lists musicians favourite records. Joe chose The Spencer Davis Group's, Gimme Some Lovin' (Winwood again).

A year or two ago, Joe was photographed while listening to his favourite piece of music, for that occasion he chose, the quite contemporary At The River by Groove Armada https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t989-ukRYTY

As a big Genesis fan, I raised an eyebrow when Joe said he'd like to work with Peter Gabriel.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Funk 50 View Post
    It was a topical cul-de-sac but Glenn performed Take It To The Limit when asked by a UK radio station to perform a classic oldie. Tim chose Blind Faith's Can't Find My Way Home. Tim was attracted to Steve Winwood's vocals, in the late 60s,early 70s, as they were in his vocal range. Joe's a Winwood pal too.

There's a book that lists musicians favourite records. Joe chose The Spencer Davis Group's, Gimme Some Lovin' (Winwood again).

A year or two ago, Joe was photographed while listening to his favourite piece of music, for that occasion he chose, the quite contemporary At The River by Groove Armada https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t989-ukRYTY

As a big Genesis fan, I raised an eyebrow when Joe said he'd like to work with Peter Gabriel.
    I have that version. I can't remember the circumstances of what he was asked to do but he also performed Desperado & After Hours. He performed HIS OWN WORK. I guess I am missing something obvious but Eagles & solo songs in my opinion don't count as songs by other artists when discussing what the band's influences are.

I can't see Joe & Gabriel hitting it off. Both are eccentric but Gabriel's songs just wouldn't work with Joe's style of playing, I don't think.