Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Musically, which member did what?

Default Musically, which member did what?

For example, on "One Of These Nights" it says Glenn and Bernie played rhythm. I'm real curious who plays the awesome rhythm at the end, too.

Or who played the guitar solos... I heard on "King of Hollywood" it's Glenn, Don, then Joe... On the vocals, it sounds like there are three. Sounds like Glenn is doing a high and low part with Don singing somewhere in between.

I know Glenn did a lot of arranging, but if anyone knows specifics (Let's start with the chorus instead, and then verse), whatever..

If you anyone knows anything, please post here!

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Musically, which member did what?

I'm 98% sure Bernie and Don F are playing the rhythm guitars on One Of These Nights, and Bernie is in the left and Don in the right speaker. Bernie is doing the slide-up-the-neck rhythm part in the intro and verses - and chords in the chorus. If the "awesome rhythm at the end" means the rhythm guitar that is rapidly changing positions on the maj7 chord, that's Don. Glenn is on the piano. The harmonized guitar parts were done by Glenn or Glenn and Don. I still think that Glenn did all the harmony guitars in this song, but I'm not 100% sure.

On King Of Hollywood Glenn plays most of the first solo. Don plays a few licks after Glenn's solo. Joe, of course, plays the lead guitar at the end.

Thank you! I know in concert Glenn plays piano, but on record, it says Glenn -rhythm guitar.. And yeah, I was referring to the rhythm going up the neck, but the tone sounds like the rhythm during the entire song. I'm guessing Bernie played one note per bar, there is a whole note... For some reason I think that's the point when Bernie stopped liked playing, it was very different from the country stuff he liked, but "One Of These Nights" is my favorite song.

I can usually tell a Glenn solo. It's the way I like it - not too technical, but emotional.. Like on "I Can't Tell You Why".. TBS also says the bass was probably Glenn's idea. (I also love the electric piano, the left hand on the B note, right hand playing Bm to A)

Back to "OOTN" - Felder says in his book he came up with the bass line while Randy was late.

Stuck on the Border

Where does it say that Glenn played rhythm guitar - on the greatest hits CD? On the OOTN album there's no such credit. I think Glenn's playing piano on the studio version too.

EDIT:

I just noticed it said "Glenn Frey: Rhythm guitar" on Wikipedia. I just changed it - until someone changes it again.

An examle on Already Gone,Bernie plays the intro because it's a tele playing.Glenn plays the rythym with Bernie and the Solos with Felder at the end. Felder can be made out because if you listen to OOTN he has that same Les Paul tone.

I never knew Glenn played the Witchy Woman solo until I watched the bbc 73 video

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by MortSahlFan View Post
    For example, on "One Of These Nights" it says Glenn and Bernie played rhythm. I'm real curious who plays the awesome rhythm at the end, too.

Or who played the guitar solos... I heard on "King of Hollywood" it's Glenn, Don, then Joe... On the vocals, it sounds like there are three. Sounds like Glenn is doing a high and low part with Don singing somewhere in between.

I know Glenn did a lot of arranging, but if anyone knows specifics (Let's start with the chorus instead, and then verse), whatever..

If you anyone knows anything, please post here!
    With KOH Don sings the low part & Glenn the high part. I don't hear a third voice until the 'aah, aah' stuff at the end when I assume Tim joins in.

Wikipedia was where I saw it. Thank you for correcting it - it's a great thing, wiki, if people participate it, a kind of "living document". A computer genius found out that a majority of changes were made by Big Business.

For KOH, It's on parts like "little black telephone book" or "movie star" but the third track is quieter.

I didn't know Glenn played the solo on "Witchy Woman" - thanks!

Stuck on the Border

For some Eagles albums there are "general credits" as well as more specific credits for every song. On the OOTN album the "general credits" say that Glenn played keyboards - no one else is credited for playing keys. So I think it's safe to say that unless someone else is mentioned (like Jim Ed Norman) in the more specific credits, Glenn played the keyboard parts. There's no piano credit for the title track, so it must be Glenn. Plus he came up with the idea for the song on piano.

Although there's no keyboard player mentioned for I Wish You Peace, for years I was thinking that perhaps Glenn's not playing that part since there are some jazzy chords I've never heard Glenn play elsewhere. Finally I asked Bernie about it on his official forum and he confirmed it's Glenn.

Out on the Border

another observation - if you listen closely you can hear Randy (or what I assume is him) in a lot of the harmonies such as in the "my oh my, you sure know how to arrange things" part of Lying Eyes and you can also hear him during the "slowing down to take a look at me" part of Take It Easy.

Don is singing along with Glenn during the "My oh my" part. Do you mean the background "ahhs"? If so then yes Randy's voice is clear.