Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: California Jam 1974

Default Re: California Jam 1974

Oh, and here are the performances themselves, since the ones I linked to a while back have been taken down:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5_0DzMVf1M[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1C9UBp9zN8[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRQ1qkGxoR0[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XByaqHhBFqE[/ame]

40 years ago... wonder where all those music fans are now?

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Border Troubadour

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    40 years ago... wonder where are those music fans are now?
    Forgot Cali Jam was exactly 21 years older than me!

In the least morbid way possible I wonder how many of them are actually alive - some of the people featured in the audience shots must have been on some fair amount of drugs.

California Jam was always a dream of mine. Being a child of the 70's I loved the life style and would love to live them again!!

So Put Me On A Highway And Show Me A Sign
    And Take It To The Limit One More Time..............

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    I think maybe folks over 30 would get Smoke on the Water for Deep Purple, but would be hard-pressed to name another song. As for Black Sabbath, unfortunately the younger set know them more as the band from whence came Ozzy Osbourne, brain-addled star of reality TV - not for their music.

I know in my own case, I've never even heard of ELP before now. I couldn't name you one other Deep Purple song, nor could I name even one Black Sabbath song. Admittedly, I wasn't allowed to listen to Black Sabbath when they were big, but I never had any desire to even when I got older. I'm sure they have a metalhead following that scrambles to see OzzFest every year, but the mainstream... not so much.
    Space Truckin and Highway Star were two of my favorite Deep Purple Songs!
    (I am) Ironman was a huge Black Sabbath tune. Very heavy metal.

So Put Me On A Highway And Show Me A Sign
    And Take It To The Limit One More Time..............

Oh Gosh... I was born in the wrong place... and at the wrong time...

"I gotta get up, get out, get on that road and go one more mile "

Stuck on the Border

I wish I was there! I'm old enough to remember and have been a fan of most of those bands but I lived in the wrong country. ELP were my favourite from about 1970-72 and then in 1972 I'd had enough of prog rock and switched to the Eagles, Seals & Croft, America.

Deep Purple had a UK #2 hit single with "Black Night" in 1970 and I think "Fireball" was also a hit but mostly they were known for their albums.

Thanks for re-posting. Those are very cool.

Border Troubadour

41st anniversary of this today. Still one of my favourite bits of Eagles footage is this concert.

Stuck on the Border

Don't you just love all those "I didn't know that Glenn can play lead" comments below the Already Gone video.

So people don't even know that Glenn plays lead on Eagles songs - and did it a lot before Fingers joined - yet they seem to know so well what exactly Felder contributed to the guitar department, announcing that they are nothing without him.

It's nice that there are people who are open minded enough to admit that Glenn plays lead when they actually see him do it. I'm sure a lot of people still deny it after seeing that clip. And some of those who admit it think that Don played it on the record, but because he couldn't be there, Glenn had to learn his solo. One very informed comment:

This was one of the first Eagles songs that Felder wrote the lead guitar for in the studio when he was brought in. His wife was in labor so he missed this concert. Glenn manages to hit most of the highlights of the solo, The really hard part for Glenn was probably doing the little lead fills that accompany his lead vocals on the verses. Was he as smooth and fluid as Felder? No, but a great job on short notice!

Someone replies:

Yep. Felder had to skip the gig because his wife went into labor that morning and gave birth to their first child. It would have been awesome if they all were there. Still it was a great performance.

Don F played an essential part in some songs in the studio, but this was not one of them. A lot of people make it sound like the most important guy was missing from that clip, so Glenn had to sill in for that big guy. But Glenn played on the record what he plays in that clip. What is missing here are Don's sustained notes on top of Glenn's solo. Glenn didn't fill in for anyone. He played his own parts. So here's another person who praises Don F, but can't actually tell his playing from Glenn's.
    Last edited by chaim; 04-06-2015 at 12:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by chaim View Post
    Don't you just love all those "I didn't know that Glenn can play lead" comments below the Already Gone video.

So people don't even know that Glenn plays lead on Eagles songs - and did it a lot before Fingers joined - yet they seem to know so well what exactly Felder contributed to the guitar department, announcing that they are nothing without him.

It's nice that there are people who are open minded enough to admit that Glenn plays lead when they actually see him do it. I'm sure a lot of people still deny it after seeing that clip. And some of those who admit it think that Don played it on the record, but because he couldn't be there, Glenn had to learn his solo. One very informed comment:

This was one of the first Eagles songs that Felder wrote the lead guitar for in the studio when he was brought in. His wife was in labor so he missed this concert. Glenn manages to hit most of the highlights of the solo, The really hard part for Glenn was probably doing the little lead fills that accompany his lead vocals on the verses. Was he as smooth and fluid as Felder? No, but a great job on short notice!

Someone replies:

Yep. Felder had to skip the gig because his wife went into labor that morning and gave birth to their first child. It would have been awesome if they all were there. Still it was a great performance.

Don F played an essential part in some songs in the studio, but this was not one of them. A lot of people make it sound like the most important guy was missing from that clip, so Glenn had to sill in for that big guy. But Glenn played on the record what he plays in that clip. What is missing here are Don's sustained notes on top of Glenn's solo. Glenn didn't fill in for anyone. He played his own parts. So here's another person who praises Don F, but can't actually tell his playing from Glenn's.
    I agree and disagree here.

I agree that Glenn can play very good lead guitar in his own right and style.

I agree he did just fine without DF on this performance.

I agree that Glenn's solo is the one most people recognize on this song. DF just played high notes and in fact, on the original recording they are hard to hear as it's not as present in the mix as Glenn's solo. Easier to hear on live versions. I will admit, when I play live I play the Glenn solo on AG because it's the one everyone knows.

I agree that Glenn should be recognized more for his lead guitar skill on songs like this, WW, and ICTYW.

I agree it's hard to play that main riff while singing. I've had to do it before and you really have to think, yet not overthink to do it in time.

I disagree that DF played a small part in the record. The opening Tele bits are Bernie but that main lead fill on every chorus is distinctly DF on the record. And IMO that riff is more recognizable that Bernie's opening intro. DF's riff really tightens up the song and I feel it's very recognizable. In fact, I prefer his parts on this one to GDIH.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."