Page 271 of 301 FirstFirst ... 171221261267268269270271272273274275281 ... LastLast
Results 2,701 to 2,710 of 3010

Thread: Eagles Mentions in the Press (2006 - 2017)

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Eagles Mentions in the Press

The Guardian creates a new chart of best-selling albums based on streaming.

http://www.theguardian.com/music/mus...share_btn_link

I thi

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by shunlvswx View Post
    Here's a cool article where the guy talks about On the Border album.

http://johnrieber.com/2016/03/14/on-...st-of-my-love/
    Thank you, I enjoyed that. Though I'm a little startled at his assertion that it was Szymczyk's suggestion to bring in another guitarist. I had the impression - maybe from HOTE - that it was very much Frey's idea.

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

Quote Originally Posted by UndertheWire View Post
    The Guardian creates a new chart of best-selling albums based on streaming.

http://www.theguardian.com/music/mus...share_btn_link
    As a frequent Spotify user, I've contributed more than my share fair of streaming Hotel California and Fleetwood Mac's Rumours, the latter of which is my all time favorite album. I'm glad to see a mixture of artists in this list. It's not just the modern artists whose albums are neing streamed.
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time

Stuck on the Border Jonny Come Lately's Avatar
    Watching the hazy sun sinking in the sea in England

Interesting all-time list. I don't use Spotify myself, so haven't contributed to my figures. I noticed the Eagles actually moved up five places (from 15th to 10th), whereas Rumours dropped three (from 8th to 11th). This actually slightly surprises me, because from my experience the Rumours-era Mac is very popular among young people. My sister does use Spotify, and I've heard her playing a few Mac songs (Dreams and Crystal in particular). Of the other albums in the top 10, my favourite is Led Zeppelin IV. I strongly disagree with the claim that The Dark Side of the Moon has fallen off the cultural radar, and that's not just because I'm a fan - although they have not toured for over 20 years, I think (partly thanks to the extensive reissues) a lot of new fans have been introduced to them since Spotify was launched in 2008, and they did have a 'new' release in 2014, albeit one that acts more as a coda to their previous work than a new chapter in the book. My possible suggestion for its fall is that Pink Floyd fans like to buy albums and are therefore less likely to stream.

I'll surprise no one by saying that I'm not quite so keen on the Spotify's top 20 streamed albums. Not exactly my cup of tea! I predict that if this is repeated a decade from now, that list will change beyond recognition (to be blunt, several albums on the list seem to mainly appeal to teenage girls - the popularity of these acts tends to fade when their audience moves on as the next generation latches onto newer acts) whereas any changes in the all-time list are more likely to result from fluctuations in the popularity of the albums near the top. Adele's 21 is a phenomenon, as it not only does it top the list but it is the only album from the last decade to make the top 20. The only other albums on the list released in the last twenty decade are Celine Dion's Falling Into You (only just - it came out in 1996) and 1 by The Beatles, a compilation album. I'm not sure if there's anyone around right now who can challenge Adele's huge success, save for Adele herself.

Stuck on the Border Jonny Come Lately's Avatar
    Watching the hazy sun sinking in the sea in England

Apologies if this has been posted previously, but I managed to find this nice article today written by a guy called Tim Roxborogh for the NZ Herald. It was published the day after Glenn passed away.

http://m.nzherald.co.nz/music/news/a...ectid=11576209

The article starts with a story about a friend of the author who got married wearing an Eagles T-shirt! However, this progresses onto discussion about the band and Glenn. He seems to know his stuff, as well as mentioning famous songs like One Of These Nights and Desperado he praises both Bitter Creek and Waiting In The Weeds. I also thought his take on the Henley/Frey vocal debate was balanced - while he did recall Glenn's comments about Don's voice from HOTE, he acknowledged how many of the songs people love that Glenn actually sung and praised his voice.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Thanks for finding this, JCL. I don't remember reading this before. I hope you don't mind, but I'm going to also post this in Glenn's rememberance thread since it was written as a tribute to him.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border

A recent story on Boyd Elder with obligatory Eagles references: http://lonestarmusicmagazine.com/res...-greatest-hit/

So BOYD ELDER is "El Chingadero"? Why the heck did the Eagles reference him in "Visions"? Maybe they just thought the nickname sounded cool. "Play on, El Chingadero" certainly doesn't sound like it's talking about a photographer.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border

I thought that was interesting. It may just have been a hidden credit for the guy who created the sculpture they used for the album cover, with no intention of insulting Don Felder.

Interesting to learn that after all these years!