Page 9 of 30 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Thread: The Border Battle Of The Bands 2015

Stuck on the Border Jonny Come Lately's Avatar
    Watching the hazy sun sinking in the sea in England

Default Re: The Border Battle Of The Bands 2015

Thank you for your post, F50. Although I disagree on some of the matches I found it interesting to read your opinions.

I can't agree that R.E.M. are a bit part talent compared to the Bee Gees, I think R.E.M. are the more substantial of the two. They are also a better band than U2 IMO but that's a debate for another day (Round 1? Or later? Even I don't know yet). On the other hand, I can sympathise with your view on Black Sabbath despite my preference for Thin Lizzy and I agree with you on ABBA who although prone to get too sugary are superior to Journey in my view (although I would not have voted for them had they been up against a band like Dire Straits, Bad Company or - dare I say it - 'Leh-Nerd Skin-Nerd').

So, here's my choices in this group:

Match 13. KISS vs COLDPLAY - Fairly easy pick for me as I like Coldplay's first two albums, but I don't like KISS or bands that wear makeup as part of their identity in general. I'm interested in your description of Coldplay's music as iffy, F50, as they used to be one of my favourites but they've fallen down my list as I've explored more classic rock. I preferred their early days when their sound was more organic - this might be a bit controversial but I think Chris Martin's marriage prevented them from reaching their true potential (it meant he was no longer the 'everyman' he was originally).

Match 14. ZZ TOP vs THE SEX PISTOLS - Not a fan of the Pistols at all (I get their cultural impact but I like my 'dinosaur' rock and their music is just not good music to my ears - sorry), give me the blues/southern rock of ZZ Top any day.

Match 15. FOREIGNER vs OASIS - One of the weaker pairings IMO (I'd take either band in Match 21 over these two if I had the option). I agree with F50 on this one, Oasis are a more fun and their lyrical limitations are not a big deal as the songs are centred around the massive hooks. I enjoy Don't Look Back In Anger more than the Foreigner hits I've heard.

Match 16. THE BAND vs THE JIMI HENDRIX EXPERIENCE - Hendrix for me, I'm more familiar with his work than that of The Band and I like the Are You Experienced album and his version of All Along The Watchtower quite a bit. There's also the small matter of his outstanding guitar ability.

Match 17. BON JOVI vs RUSH - Rush by a country mile, I consider them to be Canada's greatest band and the only North American prog band who can match their British brethren. Bon Jovi are overblown stadium rock at its worst IMO, not a lot else to say about them.

Match 18. PEARL JAM vs THE CLASH - Not that fussed either way on this one, but I'll go for Pearl Jam as they collaborated with the grandfather of grunge himself (Neil Young). The Clash are one of the better punk bands though, and I prefer them to Sid Vicious and Johnny Rotten.

Match 19. YES vs AEROSMITH - I'll go for Yes, at least partially for Rick Wakeman's keyboards (they're all very talented musicians - and of course I must say RIP Chris Squire, an excellent bassist and harmony singer). I prefer the great British hard rock bands to Aerosmith personally.

Match 20. DEEP PURPLE vs RADIOHEAD - Easily Deep Purple, an absolutely terrific set of musicians producing brilliant hard rock music. Radiohead are overrated IMO, I find Thom Yorke's lyrics pretentious and they seem virtually immune to criticism in the UK press (IIRC fan opinions on their last album were mixed but critics gave it rave reviews).

Match 21. THE ALLMAN BROTHERS BAND vs CROSBY, STILLS AND NASH (& YOUNG) - I am gratified by the comments from other people finding this a difficult choice - this was the pairing I had in mind when I mentioned a fair pairing in terms of talent. I'd be happy to see either in Round 1. I think I'll have to go for CSNY but I feel the Allmans deserve more votes.

Match 22. AC/DC vs CREAM - I much prefer Cream's blues rock to AC/DC, so them. I prefer Eric Clapton in Cream and Derek & The Dominos to his solo work, not that it's bad, just not quite as exciting as his late 60s playing.

Match 23. GENESIS vs POCO - I know what I like, and I know I would like to see Genesis in Round 1. I prefer the Gabriel era myself and have been hugely impressed by Selling England By The Pound (including the song I referenced above).

Match 24. STYX vs BLUE OYSTER CULT - BOC get my vote, just think they're the superior band. There is something that marks them out from most American hard rock bands, probably their preference for darker or quirkier songs and lyrics. FWIW I'd have voted for them over Kansas as well, who I know better than Styx.

All 24 bands in this half of the draw have received at least one vote so far (IIRC when I voted last time Iron Maiden had yet to get a single vote). Thanks for all the votes again.

Match 13. KISS vs COLDPLAY
    Match 14. ZZ TOP vs THE SEX PISTOLS
    Match 15. FOREIGNER vs OASIS
    Match 16. THE BAND vs THE JIMI HENDRIX EXPERIENCE
    Match 17. BON JOVI vs RUSH
    Match 18. PEARL JAM vs THE CLASH
    Match 19. YES vs AEROSMITH
    Match 20. DEEP PURPLE vs RADIOHEAD
    Match 21. THE ALLMAN BROTHERS BAND vs CROSBY, STILLS AND NASH (& YOUNG)
    Match 22. AC/DC vs CREAM
    Match 23. GENESIS vs POCO
    Match 24. STYX vs BLUE OYSTER CULT

Match 15 - that was hard!! Oasis got the vote in the end, as I know more of their songs (and I also love Champagne Supernova - nice space out song )

I picked 16, 21, 24 because I've only heard of the other choice, and thats it
    Had to pick 22 because I'm going to see them tomorrow night !!
    And I love 13, 18, 19 and 23......
    "The more I know, the less I understand...."

Don't crack up, bend your brain, see both sides, throw off your mental chains"

13. Kiss
    14. ZZ Top
    15. Foreigner
    16. The Jimi Hendrix Experience
    17. Rush
    18. Pearl Jam
    19. Aerosmith
    20. Deep Purple
    21. Crosby, Stills and Nash (& Young)
    22. Cream
    23. Poco
    24. Styx

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Match 22. AC/DC vs CREAM
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Border Troubadour

Match 13. KISS vs COLDPLAY - I love their cover of Argent's God Gave Rock and Roll to You and I don't mind so much their make up etc as I think they are fully aware of it but also have talent to go with it - for example, Iron Maiden annoy me for their whole epic image / stage show / Eddie carry on, and Steel Panther are a piss take of the whole Kiss / glam metal era, minus the actual ability the original bands had...
    Match 14. ZZ TOP vs THE SEX PISTOLS - This is the toughest pairing by far for me. I love the Southern and boogie rock output of ZZ Top but the Sex Pistols, for only having one album, have had an astronomical impact on UK music and the whole punk movement. That and I adore Johnny Rotten. Sorry Billy, Dusty and Frank!
    Match 15. FOREIGNER vs OASIS - Not as mad about them as some seem to be (probably exaggerated with coming from as close to Manchester as I do mind), but they were huge and as much as I'm not keen on the Gallagher Brothers they were a solid foundation for that era of music.
    Match 19. YES vs AEROSMITH - I think if this was on a predominately-British forum it would be a (rightful ) foregone conclusion.
    Match 20. DEEP PURPLE vs RADIOHEAD - again no question, one of the finest rock bands there ever was.
    Match 22. AC/DC vs CREAM
    Match 23. GENESIS vs POCO - Purely on the basis the latter didn't release Abacab.
    Match 24. STYX vs BLUE OYSTER CULT - This battle needs cowbell!

Stuck on the Border

Congratulations to Dire Straits on their survival. Just. And Queen are still the champions with me.

This lot...some interesting matches here which will demonstrate a lack of knowledge on my part.

Match 22. AC/DC vs CREAM

If Kiss had been against anyone else, no way would I have voted for them. (I am not the sort of person who likes abstaining). I don't know Coldplay, same as I don't know Pearl Jam and I don't know Yes. The hardest for me was the Band vs Hendrix. I felt on balance it had to be Hendrix. I do hope Genesis can get past Poco & I hope Oasis can get past Foreigner. On Mike's behalf I want Purple & BOC to survive.

Match 13. KISS vs COLDPLAY - no question
    Match 22. AC/DC vs CREAM
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Match 22. AC/DC vs CREAM

Match 16 was a tough choice!

Match 22. AC/DC vs CREAM

Abstaining on matches 13, 19, 20, 22, and 24 because (again!) I'm not familiar with their music. (Never even heard of BOC before this thread. )

Match 22. AC/DC vs CREAM

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten