Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Dire Straits

Default Re: Dire Straits

My DD2 tried to watch Vampire Diaries on Friday night via the American site and was gutted to find it was ' not available to your location' She went on that well known site and found it uploaded in 4 parts so watched it that way. She couldn't wait until it airs here next Tuesday.
    Melanie

Stuck on the Border

In order of preference the Dire Straits albums are:

Making Movies (contains Romeo & Juliet)
    Brothers In Arms (contains Money For Nothing, Walk Of Life)
    Dire Straits (contains Sultans Of Swing)
    Communique (contains Lady Writer)
    On Every Street (contains Calling Elvis)
    Love Over Gold (contains Telegraph Road)

In order of release the solo albums are:

Golden Heart
    Sailing To Philadelphia
    The Ragpicker's Dream
    Shangri-La
    Kill To Get Crimson
    Get Lucky

My favourite of those is Shangri-La closely followed by Sailing To Philadelphia. There is also the album All The Roadrunning which consists of duets with Emmylou Harris & a compilation of film music called Screenplaying (contains the theme from Local Hero)

The show was wonderful. It went right through his life & showed us how he wrote some of those memorable guitar riffs. It was so good I might even do some screen shots of it & create a collage.

All I can say if you want to hear genius guitar playing & songwriting this man fits the bill (his voice is not for everyone but I love the way he sings). Don't ask me to start quoting lyrics or I will be here all day.

Stuck on the Border AzEaglesFan's Avatar

The only Dire Straits song I had ever heard was Walk of Life and the only reason I heard it was, it was part of a CD that Mark Knopfler made with Chet Atkins. Loved the song so I did buy a Dire Straits CD. I think Mark K is a great guitarist and I acutally liked his voice.

Wow, I thoughteveryone had heard Money for Nothing! I've always liked the hits. I don't think I've ever bought an album. I can certainly see that if someone likes Dylan's voice they would probably like MK's.
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

"Sultans of Swing" was one of the first rock songs I have a memory of. My older sister had a record called 70s Gold that she got when I was about 5, and it had that song on it. I think the reason I remember the title so well was that I was learning to read and we had a Star Wars read-along record. Right next to it were the music records, and I tried to "read" them too by looking at the titles. I could easily read titles like "We Are Family" and "Gold", but I had to ask about "sultans." Once I got an explanation for "sultan," I tried to picture sultans on swings on the playground, and didn't understand. I asked it I could listen to the song even though it was my sister's LP. My mom, presumably trying to encourage me in my efforts to read, said yes... only to discover while listening to it with me that it had a cuss word in it. Horrified, she got rid of the album. When she told my sister that her LP was gone forever... well, it was an ugly scene, almost as ugly as when my little sister accidentally ruined my older sister's Leif Garrett 8-track when attempting to play it without supervision. Yes, I remember it well.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    "Sultans of Swing" was one of the first rock songs I have a memory of. My older sister had a record called 70s Gold that she got when I was about 5, and it had that song on it. I think the reason I remember the title so well was that I was learning to read and we had a Star Wars read-along record. Right next to it were the music records, and I tried to "read" them too by looking at the titles. I could easily read titles like "We Are Family" and "Gold", but I had to ask about "sultans." Once I got an explanation for "sultan," I tried to picture sultans on swings on the playground, and didn't understand. I asked it I could listen to the song even though it was my sister's LP. My mom, presumably trying to encourage me in my efforts to read, said yes... only to discover while listening to it with me that it had a cuss word in it. Horrified, she got rid of the album. When she told my sister that her LP was gone forever... well, it was an ugly scene, almost as ugly as when my little sister accidentally ruined my older sister's Leif Garrett 8-track when attempting to play it without supervision. Yes, I remember it well.
    I actually had to look up the lyrics. Of course it's 'they don't give a damn/about any trumpet playing band'.

If people like the hit songs they remember they would be better to buy a compilation & then try the albums.

Mark Knopfler is great. Unique guitar player in the way he picks the guitar with his right hand. He has an almost country thing going where he uses his fingers, sometimes pick and fingers together (hybrid), to get a popping sound. Just listen to 'Walk of Life'. After the main synth intro, you hear his guitar come in playing a little "boogie"/shuffle style riff in the key of A Major. Very complex stuff Knopfler did. His right hand technique was almost more important than the left hand. Can't say that about too many players. Stevie Ray Vaughan is another, he had that fast shuffle thing, but completely different than Knopfler's style but its just an example of a player who's picking/strumming hand technique is somewhat more important/complex than the fretting hand technique. Mark is underrated in my opinion. Cool dude.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Stuck on the Border

Thank you Austin! I knew I could rely on you for some technical analysis of why MK is so great. Interestingly in the documentary he talks about how in the famous Money For Nothing riff he is blocking out a lot of notes and only using two strings.

I can't describe his playing on a technical level but I love how he makes the guitar 'talk' and 'comment' on the lyrics; examples being Sultans, Brothers In Arms & What It Is.

Stuck on the Border

I said I wouldn't start doing this.... but here's the red Strat...

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    I said I wouldn't start doing this.... but here's the red Strat...

That Red Strat is his "main" guitar. He plays a Tele (made by the same company that makes Strats, but sounds twangier) on "Walk of Life". Here recently he's been playing a Les Paul Standard in Sunburst (made by Gibson) on songs like "Brothers in Arms". My personal favorite Knopfler/DS song is "Sultans Of Swing". It's a classic "Strat" sound. The lyrics are my favorite as well.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKovMuzox3Y&feature=related[/ame]
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."