Page 78 of 148 FirstFirst ... 286874757677787980818288128 ... LastLast

Thread: Fleetwood Mac

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Default Re: Fleetwood Mac

No Stevie = no peace

Did anyone catch the latest episode of CNN's "The Seventies" series last night? It was about the music of the Seventies but the Eagles were only mentioned in passing, which is unacceptable IMO. JD Souther was interviewed (briefly, the show is only an hour which is not enough to cover such a diverse topic) and called Linda Rondstadt his most significant collaborator.

The show did give some love to the Mac and showed some cool vintage concert and off-stage footage, as well as comments from Mick Fleetwood.

I finished Mary Leader's Triad last night, the 1973 novel that inspired Stevie to write Rhiannon. It was quite good, very poetic. Stevie has said she only got the name Rhiannon from the book, and that none of the other content influenced her writing. There is one scene though, where the protagonist dreams she is being covered by a great dark wing, and I wondered if that image may have gotten in Stevie's subconscious and turned up in "Sara" several years later. Maybe not.

Soon I'd like to check out the biography of Zelda Fitzgerald that Don was reading when he wrote Witchy Woman. I think it was the one by Nancy Milford.
    Last edited by NightMistBlue; 10-23-2015 at 01:34 PM.

The hard-working Mac is back, touring in Australia now:
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz...Australia.html

I see they've added "Think About Me." They haven't played that since the freaking Tusk tour in 1980, and they didn't play it at the US gigs. Lucky Aussies!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border Jonny Come Lately's Avatar
    Watching the hazy sun sinking in the sea in England

That's a really good addition to the Fleetwood Mac setlist IMO. To me, it is by far the best of Christine's songs on Tusk - I'm afraid to say I've always found most of her other tunes on that album a bit weak. I find they don't really have particularly memorable music or choruses compared to her songs on the previous two albums, whereas Think About Me has a great chorus and strong guitar work, as well as the excellent combination of Christine and Lindsey's vocals.

A couple of days ago I picked up a copy of the self-titled Fleetwood Mac album (the White Album) on CD - previously the version I had on my computer was a mix of songs I'd taken from my 2 CD Very Best Of compilation with the remaining tracks being downloaded. I have uploaded the new CD and I think the listening experience has improved greatly. It's also nice to see the full artwork, including the rather low-key photo of the band in the washroom on the back cover. I was kind of shocked to see that Stevie had dark hair back then!

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Come Lately View Post
    I was kind of shocked to see that Stevie had dark hair back then!
    Her hair is naturally dark, although she's been dyeing it longer than I've been alive!

Check out this candid photo of her and Lindsey from 1974:

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

They are so cute together, dark hair and all!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Come Lately View Post
    A couple of days ago I picked up a copy of the self-titled Fleetwood Mac album (the White Album) on CD - previously the version I had on my computer was a mix of songs I'd taken from my 2 CD Very Best Of compilation with the remaining tracks being downloaded. I have uploaded the new CD and I think the listening experience has improved greatly. It's also nice to see the full artwork, including the rather low-key photo of the band in the washroom on the back cover. I was kind of shocked to see that Stevie had dark hair back then!
    Did you get the remastered version? It's definitely worth it. I bought it solely for the "new" (to us) version of Christine's "Say You Love Me." I had heard it on the radio and it knocked me sideways. Lindsey's countrified guitar work adds so much.

I take it you're not the biggest Christine fan, but I admire her very much as a songwriter - she's a great crafts(wo)man. There are not many who write better melodies; she's also perfect at constructing the seamless country/pop song.

Stuck on the Border Jonny Come Lately's Avatar
    Watching the hazy sun sinking in the sea in England

I'm pretty sure that's the version I've got, NMB. Just checking the tracklist, I'm guessing you mean 'Say You Love Me (Single Version)'? I haven't listened to that yet but I will do now. I am already familiar with the single versions of Over My Head and Rhiannon though from my Very Best Of compilation. I have to say the former is give or take in terms of my personal preference (I quite like the increased prominence of the acoustic guitar on the chorus in the single edit of the former, but I like the extended intro on the album version), but I far prefer the album version of Rhiannon. I love Lindsey Buckingham's solo after the final chorus and prefer the album mix with the more prominent guitars.

I totally agree with you about Christine McVie as a songwriter. She possesses that knack for writing a great melody and a great chorus. The Fleetwood Mac and Rumours albums highlight this ability perfectly, I really like all of her songs on those two albums except for Sugar Daddy, which I still quite like but not as much as the others. Unfortunately I find the melodies and choruses to be lacking on most of her Tusk tunes for some reason. To some extent I think this was Lindsey's fault for going for such a minimalist production style on most of the tracks, which worked for his material but I don't think it suited Christine's melodic songs. Stevie's writing on that album was so strong that this wasn't an issue for her (indeed I find 4 of her 5 songs on Tusk to be brilliant). Conversely, I think she was back to her best on Mirage, which I find slightly disappointing in terms of Lindsey and Stevie's contributions with the clear exception of Gypsy.

My favourite of Christine's songs would have to be You Make Loving Fun, although Say You Love Me and Think About Me are also quite high up my list of favourites. However, I have to honestly admit that I while I do like a lot of her songs, I do tend to prefer Lindsey's and Stevie's.

I should probably do my Fleetwood Mac top ten while I'm at it, this does change a bit but I think it's something like this:

1. The Chain (definitely my personal favourite)
    2. Go Your Own Way
    3. Rhiannon
    4. You Make Loving Fun
    5. Silver Springs
    6. Gypsy
    7. Monday Morning
    8. Landslide
    9. Second Hand News
    10. I Know I'm Not Wrong

Some honourable mentions: Crystal, Say You Love Me, Never Going Back Again, Gold Dust Woman, Think About Me, Sara, What Makes You Think You're The One and Tusk. I also love I'm So Afraid live.

You can probably guess which album is my favourite! Rumours has always been number one for me. I have loved it ever since I was a child and I have to admit that at one point in my life it was pretty much the only music I loved. My family got sick of me wanting to have it on in the car CD player the whole time! My tastes have broadened since but my love for the album remains undimmed.

Fleetwood Mac is a special band for me as out of my top five bands they are the only ones whose music I have listened to for the majority of my life. By contrast, I didn't first hear an Eagles album until I was 18 (although I had heard some of Don Henley's solo music before then). Very little of the other music I heard while still a child has had quite the same impact on me and still resonates with me the way Fleetwood Mac does.

Just for fun, here's a clip from the 1978 Grammys broadcast of Fleetwood Mac winning Album of the Year (beating the Eagles' Hotel California, alas!):
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CuyWo01tCkQ

I love the crimped hair on Chris and on Lindsey's g-friend - so cute!