Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Top 10 Most Underrated Eagles Songs per Ultimate Classic Rock.com

Stuck on the Border Houston Baby's Avatar

Default Re: Top 10 Most Underrated Eagles Songs per Ultimate Classic Rock.com

Quote Originally Posted by thelastresort View Post
    Never understood why Good Day in Hell has practically disappeared into history alongside most of the rest of OTB. Absolutely brilliant song and for me should have been a staple as much as the likes of Already Gone and Best of My Love became.
    I LOVE Good Day in Hell too!!

Quote Originally Posted by Houston Baby View Post
    I LOVE Good Day in Hell too!!

I agree 100% this is one of my all time favorite songs!! When I quote the lyrics in social media people go what song is that. I say are you kidding me only one of the best Rock songs every!

So Put Me On A Highway And Show Me A Sign
    And Take It To The Limit One More Time..............

Quote Originally Posted by DJ View Post
    I agree 100% this is one of my all time favorite songs!! When I quote the lyrics in social media people go what song is that. I say are you kidding me only one of the best Rock songs every!
    One of my favourites too.

Stuck on the Border Jonny Come Lately's Avatar
    Watching the hazy sun sinking in the sea in England

Here's what I think of the Ultimate Classic Rock list:

10. Most Of Us Are Sad - Good choice, not an obvious one either.
    9. Wasted Time - Decent pick, a great song but I can easily think of others that are more underrated.
    8. James Dean - Good choice
    7. Tequila Sunrise - Decent pick, it was a single but wasn't really a hit so I'm okay with this.
    6. One Of These Nights - What the heck?!?! Since when was this extremely popular number one single widely regarded as one of their best songs underrated? Great song, but shouldn't anywhere near this list.
    5. I Can't Tell You Why - Another strange selection, not quite as much as OOTN though.
    4. After The Thrill Is Gone - Excellent choice
    3. Ol' 55 - Excellent choice
    2. Doolin-Dalton - Excellent choice (although the Reprise is even more underrated)
    1. The Last Resort - Excellent choice. Fantastic song IMO.

Their lists are usually decent although tend to stick to the most obvious choices (e.g. IIRC their top 10 Pink Floyd list mainly focusses on Dark Side Of The Moon, Wish You Were Here and The Wall) and in my experience there's typically one clunker in there somewhere (for instance, their top 10 Dire Straits songs list left out Brothers In Arms and Telegraph Road while including the fun but throwaway Twisting By The Pool in seventh place).

My own top ten underrated list would read something like:
    1. The Last Resort
    2. Doolin-Dalton/Desperado (Reprise)
    3. Take The Devil (their single most underrated song IMO)
    4. My Man
    5. Good Day In Hell
    6. Too Many Hands
    7. Bitter Creek
    8. Long Road Out Of Eden (doesn't get enough credit, it's an epic and is worthy of mention in the same breath as Hotel California)
    9. The Sad Café
    10. After The Thrill Is Gone

I also gave some consideration to including Most Of Us Are Sad, Out Of Control, Outlaw Man, Midnight Flyer, James Dean, Journey of the Sorcerer, PMAIAR, Try And Love Again, Those Shoes and Do Something.

There's a fair bit of Bernie Leadon and Randy Meisner on my list (4 songs out of 10), their songs on the whole tend to be very underrated I think.

Stuck on the Border

"Underrated songs" lists tend to be totally pointless. Usually "underrated" means "all the songs that are not as amazing as the best ones, but aren't absolutely crap either" or "songs that I like, but everybody else doesn't rave about".

And here's another example of what I mentioned in another thread. I hate it when people praise other people for solos Glenn composed and played. Would these people praise the ICTYW solos if they knew they were played by a guitarist who they are not supposed and expected to praise???

My personal "the underrated Eagles songs" list would look something like this. I love these songs and, of course, everybody else should too!

Take The Devil
    Most Of Us Are Sad
    Earlybird
    Bitter Creek
    My Man
    Journey Of The Sorcerer
    Too Many Hands
    I Wish You Peace
    (On the border)
    (Good day in hell)
    Last edited by chaim; 01-16-2015 at 01:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Come Lately View Post
    Here's what I think of the Ultimate Classic Rock list:

10. Most Of Us Are Sad - Good choice, not an obvious one either.
    9. Wasted Time - Decent pick, a great song but I can easily think of others that are more underrated.
    8. James Dean - Good choice
    7. Tequila Sunrise - Decent pick, it was a single but wasn't really a hit so I'm okay with this.
    6. One Of These Nights - What the heck?!?! Since when was this extremely popular number one single widely regarded as one of their best songs underrated? Great song, but shouldn't anywhere near this list.
    5. I Can't Tell You Why - Another strange selection, not quite as much as OOTN though.
    4. After The Thrill Is Gone - Excellent choice
    3. Ol' 55 - Excellent choice
    2. Doolin-Dalton - Excellent choice (although the Reprise is even more underrated)
    1. The Last Resort - Excellent choice. Fantastic song IMO.

Their lists are usually decent although tend to stick to the most obvious choices (e.g. IIRC their top 10 Pink Floyd list mainly focusses on Dark Side Of The Moon, Wish You Were Here and The Wall) and in my experience there's typically one clunker in there somewhere (for instance, their top 10 Dire Straits songs list left out Brothers In Arms and Telegraph Road while including the fun but throwaway Twisting By The Pool in seventh place).

My own top ten underrated list would read something like:
    1. The Last Resort
    2. Doolin-Dalton/Desperado (Reprise)
    3. Take The Devil (their single most underrated song IMO)
    4. My Man
    5. Good Day In Hell
    6. Too Many Hands
    7. Bitter Creek
    8. Long Road Out Of Eden (doesn't get enough credit, it's an epic and is worthy of mention in the same breath as Hotel California)
    9. The Sad Café
    10. After The Thrill Is Gone

I also gave some consideration to including Most Of Us Are Sad, Out Of Control, Outlaw Man, Midnight Flyer, James Dean, Journey of the Sorcerer, PMAIAR, Try And Love Again, Those Shoes and Do Something.

There's a fair bit of Bernie Leadon and Randy Meisner on my list (4 songs out of 10), their songs on the whole tend to be very underrated I think.
    Love your list, especially the Last Resort and Long Road Out of Eden--agree that song is epic!

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

I must do a top 10 as well but in the meantime I would say that 'What Do I Do With My Heart' is totally underrated
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Stuck on the Border

I never did a list.

1. New Kid In Town*
    2. Good Day In Hell
    3. What Do I Do With My Heart
    4. Out Of Control
    5. Outlaw Man
    6. Certain Kind Of Fool
    7. No More Cloudy Days
    8. Too Many Hands
    9. Business As Usual
    10. Learn To Be Still

*I will try & explain why I think my favourite Eagles song is underrated if anyone is interested.

I'd like to hear why, FP.

Stuck on the Border

I will sound horribly biased & partisan but from one viewpoint it seems that when people talk about all the best known Eagles songs, this song is rarely mentioned. The fact that it was a Number One single & won a Grammy has been forgotten (not least by Don Felder, who entirely ignores the song's existence). It has been overshadowed by both Hotel Califorina & Life In The Fast Lane for so long that it was even dropped from their setlist for a while (when I saw them in 2010 they didn't play it). So even they don't seem to rate it that highly. Glenn's performance of it in Dublin is a virtual throwaway.

The song is a progression from Certain Kind Of Fool (another underrated song) in the way it charts the career trajectory & romantic entaglements of the protagonist. To me he embodies the whole success vs. failure thingthey're talking about in the HC album and does so in a much more sympathetic but still realistic way than the caustic & cynical Life In The Fast Lane or the grandiose Wasted Time. It's summed up in the line 'they will never forget you 'til somebody new comes along' and the way the chorus moves from the new kid, Johnny come lately, to the kid who is on the way out; 'where you been lately'. I could go into more depth about the lyrics. My only criticism perhaps is that the romantic element becomes a bit too prominent (in the bridge section).

Musically it has the Spanish feel which continues on from the title track. It has a lovely (overlooked) performance by Joe on electric piano, a fine guitar solo by Felder & perhaps the best harmonies they ever did. It also has, for what it's worth, the finest lead vocal of Glenn Frey's career. He never sang with this much passion or convction & he rarely has again so for me it's very special in that regard.

I realise that most of what I have written here is about why the song is great rather than why it's underrated but I think I addressed that in the first paragraph.

I know the song doesn't mean as much to others as it does to me so I hope you forgive me for indulging in this.
    Last edited by Freypower; 01-24-2015 at 08:11 PM.