Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Top 10 Most Underrated Eagles Songs per Ultimate Classic Rock.com

Default Re: Top 10 Most Underrated Eagles Songs per Ultimate Classic Rock.com

To some the word 'history' has the connotation of going far into the past. Maybe the Eagles thought LROE was too recent to be a part of their history.
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Stuck on the Border

Yes, and I think they have taken the word ''history'' too literally & appeared to validate the views of the naysayers who never accepted LROOE.

they could have done How Long and I don't want to hear anymore or Do something to give Timothy B more exposure. I would have loved Joe's Last good time in town . Would be a great encore selection

Border Desperado AstraeaLunaAvani's Avatar

YAYYYY Doolin-Dalton!!! So glad that song made it!

BUT...

I think Too Many Hands and Take the Devil should have been in there too.

Kinda surprised about #1...I love Last Resort but would have put it lower on the list.

Border Troubadour

Quote Originally Posted by AstraeaLunaAvani View Post
    Kinda surprised about #1...I love Last Resort but would have put it lower on the list.
    I'm not sure, I think it's probably the most deserving of number 1 (save perhaps Ol' 55 and D-D / D Reprise) - it's the best example of Henley's ability for me - the lyrics, the backing track, the truth and emotion in what he composed are all absolutely divine. It's almost like a lesson of life and history that many Americans hate to admit happens, and the depth of meaning is unreal - 'there is no more new frontier, we have got to make it here'. I think it is largely overlooked as it shares the same album as Hotel Cali, NKIT and LITFL, much more wider-audience attractive songs. TLR is the sort of song you can only write once in a lifetime, and I think that's why it should be number 1.

For me the list would look something like this.

1. After The Thrill Is Gone
    2. James Dean
    3. On The Border
    4. Victim Of Love
    5. Those Shoes
    6. Out Of Control
    7. Midnight Flyer
    8. Good Day In Hell
    9. Please Come Home For Christmas
    10. Witchy Woman

Now I realize some of these are more underrated than others, and some to some people wouldn't be underrated. But to me personally, these are my picks.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by thelastresort View Post
    I'm not sure, I think it's probably the most deserving of number 1 (save perhaps Ol' 55 and D-D / D Reprise) - it's the best example of Henley's ability for me - the lyrics, the backing track, the truth and emotion in what he composed are all absolutely divine. It's almost like a lesson of life and history that many Americans hate to admit happens, and the depth of meaning is unreal - 'there is no more new frontier, we have got to make it here'. I think it is largely overlooked as it shares the same album as Hotel Cali, NKIT and LITFL, much more wider-audience attractive songs. TLR is the sort of song you can only write once in a lifetime, and I think that's why it should be number 1.
    Very well put and I feel about the same. I think this song is truly amazing and pretty much a masterpiece. We could all learn from these lyrics.

BTW-- I had to giggle a bit--I was thinking how passionate you seem to be about describing the song--then I noticed your user name!!
    He sings it high, he plays it low

I echo your thoughts entirely. The Last Resort is such a beautiful song and it has a very special place in my heart.

you better put it all behind you, baby, 'cause life goes on
    you keep carrying that anger, it'll eat you up inside--

Border Desperado AstraeaLunaAvani's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by thelastresort View Post
    Ha! i just noticed your username, so I really understand how much you love this song!

I totally agree that the message is amazing, I love it too when bands can write such powerful deep lyrics. I bet most people who listen to this song don't really get what it's saying. I feel this way about Too Many Hands too, it's kind of a similar theme.

Out on the Border

The Hollywood Waltz has one of Henley's best lyrics and singing and harmonies, as usual, are incredible.

The reviewer mentioned in this thread says that "After The Thrill is Gone" is a country song?

I dont know about that...it's an R&B influenced song for sure.

Fact is, after On the Border, the Eagles really tried to blend rock with R&B. One of These Nights is a great example.