Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Your favourite snippet of Eagles music

Default Re: Your favourite snippet of Eagles music

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Come Lately View Post
    I've been thinking for about some of my favourite Eagles musical snippets and I've come up with twenty-five personal favourites across five distinct categories, with five for each:

Guitar solos
    - The end of Hotel California where Don and Joe are soloing together after playing their separate parts.
    - The second guitar solo of Take The Devil, I love the moment where it really takes off, I don't understand enough to describe this accurately musically unfortunately.
    - The intro solo for James Dean, it bursts out of the blocks and is just a great guitar sound.
    - The short but perfectly formed solo on PMAIAR, exactly what the song needed. I wouldn't change anything about it (although if playing on my iPod I often repeat it).
    - The beginning of the final ICTYW solo, I love the licks that Glenn plays there.

Musical (not guitar solos)
    - The opening guitar chords of Take It Easy. When I first heard this I knew a great song was about to start.
    - Randy's bass playing during the middle section of Too Many Hands after the second chorus.
    - The keyboard part that appears on the third verse of Good Day In Hell, I have never seen this discussed but I think it adds a lot to the song and adds to its raucousness.
    - The rhythm section in the intro to Those Shoes, both the bass and drums are essential to that song and they are highlighted at the start.
    - The electric guitar part in The Sad Café during the 'glory train' verse - I notice that Joe has a writing credit for this song, was it for this? If so, please thank him, it's great and captures the nostalgic feel of the song.

Lead vocals
    - Don Henley's singing of 'He had a nasty reputation as a cruel dude' in LITFL, especially the way he sings the word cruel which is one of my favourite inflections in any song.
    - Glenn singing 'You bought it sight unseen' for the second time in James Dean, I really like it when sings in that style and that one stands out to me.
    - The entire coda of Take It To The Limit, Randy's vocal performance is incredible there.
    - Don's singing on the intro to the Doolin-Dalton/Desperado (Reprise), it really sets the scene for the Desperado album closer.
    - Bernie's lead vocal on the choruses of My Man - he has help from the others, but his voice stands out as it should given that it is his personal tribute (I believe it's to Gram Parsons but am aware that it could be someone else).

Harmony or backing vocals
    - Randy singing the Winslow Arizona line in Take It Easy (technically that's a co-lead... oh well, it had to make my list).
    - The harmony vocals on Earlybird, especially prior to where the bridge starts. The vocals remind me of The Beach Boys although I prefer the song to much of the Beach Boys' output.
    - During the final verse of The Last Resort when all of the band members come in on harmony.
    - The chorus of Ol' 55, which really highlights the superb harmonies of the original four members.
    - The moment in Seven Bridges Road where they sing the song's title for the first time. The vocals are great throughout but the way the sing that part is wonderful.

Lyrics
    - 'Well the towns lay out across the dusty plains, like graveyards filled with tombstones waiting for the names' from Doolin-Dalton, a very evocative description of the Old West.
    - The 'I've been searching for the daughter of the devil himself' verse of OOTN.
    - The 'You can leave it all behind and sail to Lahaina' part of The Last Resort. I love all of the lyrics to this song and could honestly pick any lyrics from it but this section is a favourite.
    - 'They will never forget you 'til somebody new comes along' from NKIT, summing up the song's main point while holding extremely true in many walks of life.
    - 'You think time is just a magazine' from BBF, I really must use or adapt that one when the chance arises.

These aren't the only ones I could have come up with but I do really like all of the moments (or longer) that I've mentioned. I notice that The Last Resort and Doolin-Dalton and the Reprise have come up more than once, I absolutely love these songs and they come from my two favourite Eagles albums so maybe this isn't surprising.

I agree with you on a lot of these! My favorite is
    I've Been Shadows Of Myself, How Was I To Know (Most of us are sad) Randy just sounds so beautiful and soulful! Gets me everytime.

So Put Me On A Highway And Show Me A Sign
    And Take It To The Limit One More Time..............

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

This is interesting and will need to give it more thought. However, I'll say the intro to OOTN is one of my favorites.

Like Jonny, I like the opening chords to TIE, they always make me smile. I'm smiling now just thinking of them.

For harmony, there's so many... The 'maybe tomorrow' on DD/D Reprise is fantastic (especially live in this last tour). As Jonny said, the first time they sing the words Seven Bridges Road in the song gives me chillbumps. I like the harmonies in Waiting In The Weeds, and I like the harmonies in Lyin' Eyes.

Lyrics, there are so many again. In Don's The Heart of The Matter, I like 'You better put it all behind you, baby, 'Cause life goes on, You keep carrying that anger, It'll eat you up inside'. In After The Thrill Is Gone, I like 'Same dances in the same old shoes, you get too careful with the steps you choose. You don't care about winning, but you don't want to lose.' That is just an awesome observation on so many things in life. I like the same line that Jonny mentioned in OOTN. Also, a line I say to myself several times a day when watching TV or reading Facebook posts, 'I'd like to find your inner child and kick its little ass, Get Over It'. One of my favorites is from No More Cloudy Days. 'I believe in second chances, I believe in angels, too.'
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Border Desperado SoaringRockyMountainWay's Avatar

For me the beginning of Hotel California with the bass and the ending with the guitar harmony is just perfect. As soon as I hear the first chords of the song I get into what I call my "zone". I immediately block out any other noise besides Hotel California and just jam.

And some words that always lift me up are: "People talking about us, they got nothing else to do. When it all comes down, we will still come through in the long run."
    People talking about us they got nothing else to do. When it all comes down we will still come through in the long run.

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

My first thought is the opening of Take It Easy and then the opening of Hotel California. TIE always brings a smile. It's just a feel good song! HC puts me in a mysterious mood and I can just feel the wind in my hair! <shiver>

There are tons of lyrics snippets that I love. That will require more time than I have right now.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

I'm going to stick to music here because if I started talking about lyrics, I wouldn't even know where to begin (or end for that matter).

Just to name a few pieces of music, I have to include the intros to Take It Easy and Hotel California. Even though they are perhaps the most obvious, they still rock my world. I would also include the intros to Heartache Tonight, Life In the Fast Lane, and How Long. I also love I Dreamed There Was No War. And last, but not least, probably my favorite piece of music ever - the incomparable Hotel California dueling guitar outro!

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Banned

Well where do you start?

Favourite Intros - Lying Eyes, Desperado (apparently composed by Randy), King Of Hollywood (Tim & Don Rhythm section), Victim Of Love

Favourite Outros - Hollywood Waltz (Don's drums), King Of Hollywood & Life In The Fast Lane (Joe's Guitar), Pretty Maids All In A Row & Try And Love Again (the harmonies), Take It To The Limit (One More Time)

Fave Opening Line - One Of These Nights, Desperado, Pretty Maids All In A Row "Hi there How are Ya?" (Don't understand why sometimes, during solo performances, Joe omits the opening line), Get Over It "Turn on the tube and what do I see..., Fast Company "Hey Where're You Goin'?", Witchy Woman "Raven hair and ruby lips " ...

Fave Last Lines - My Man "We who must remain, go on laughing just the same", I Wish You Peace " I wish you the strength to let love grow", Hotel California "You can check out any time you like but you can never leave",...

Fave Chorus - Already Gone, Ol' 55, Outlaw Man. Try And Love Again, Lying Eyes, Fast Company, Heartache Tonight, Good Day In Hell

Fave Harmonies - Try And Love Again, Ol' 55, Victim Of Love, Take It To The Limit, Desperado, Pretty Maids All In A Row, King Of Hollywood, Victim Of Love, Wasted Time,

Fave Slide Guitar - Somebody, Guilty Of The Crime, Journey Of The Sorcerer, Midnight Flyer, The Long Run, Victim Of Love

There are still firm favourites that remain unmentioned!

Out on the Border

Love the openings of One of These Nights and Hotel California.

I also love the guitar intro to Already Gone!

So Put Me On A Highway And Show Me A Sign
    And Take It To The Limit One More Time..............