Page 24 of 48 FirstFirst ... 1420212223242526272834 ... LastLast

Thread: Eagles books

Default Re: Eagles books

I saw an interview Randy did. He said he called Irving to ask about the Hell Freezes over tour I quote what Randy said Irv said. Yep they're touring I'll tell Don you said Hi. Click... SAD!

So Put Me On A Highway And Show Me A Sign
    And Take It To The Limit One More Time..............

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

They don't call him (IA) Satan for nothing

Curiously, it was Randy's accountant who urged him to make that phone call. http://www.westword.com/1995-01-11/m...ast-the-limit/

I just find that interesting.

Back to the subject of Eagles books, of which there are surprisingly few. They're only one of the biggest bands in rock history and sold more albums than anyone in the 20th century. I would have thought that Hotel California would at least rate one of those 33 1/3 books that examine the making of the album and analyze each song. Shoot, Kanye West got one, why not our boys: [ame]http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_7/188-2654786-0117402?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=33+1+3+book+series&sprefix=33+1%2F3+%2Cst ripbooks%2C346[/ame]

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Just a guess, but I'd bet the band isn't too upset about being overlooked in the 33 1/3 book series.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Banned

I've bought a couple of these books in the past. After getting a Joe Walsh one, I'd question their accuracy as much as the biographical stuff.

http://www.guitarworld.com/learn-eig...agles-acoustic

Ooh nice, Funk! I'm tempted to buy that Eagles: Acoustic guitar book. I have the other (electric) Eagles book & CD from the "Play Along" series, but I must say the song selection is a little disappointing.

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    Marc Shapiro wrote one called The Long Run, which is just as good as any other.
    Hmmm... and it's only a penny (used copy). I'll give it a try. My Eagles library is growing!

What about this Laura Jackson tome, "Flying High"? The cover blurb referring to the band's "insatiable appetite for drugs and groupies" does not bode well.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by NightMistBlue View Post
    Hmmm... and it's only a penny (used copy). I'll give it a try. My Eagles library is growing!

What about this Laura Jackson tome, "Flying High"? The cover blurb referring to the band's "insatiable appetite for drugs and groupies" does not bode well.
    Flying High is my favourite because it treats Glenn with the respect he deserves. The others don't, especially Eliot. Shapiro is a hodge podge of old interviews with no new information & I don't recommend it.

Stuck on the Border

I don't remember much detail on the "insatiable appetite for drugs and groupies".

I've read the first 200 pages or so of the Geffen book and it provides good background of the business side of the music business at that time. I'm not sure how much I trust the detail because a couple of the Eagles stories have minor errors compared with the source they reference (Marc Eliot's book and another called Mansion on the Hill).
    Last edited by UndertheWire; 02-03-2015 at 06:09 PM.

Oh no! I'll have to read the Tom King book (on Geffen) again, at least the Eagles parts. I listened to the audiobook in 2009, long before my conversion to Eaglesmania. How dismaying about the inaccuracies; the book was praised for its strong research. The author passed away - he was only in his 40s I think - a couple of years after The Operator was published.

I want to check out "Heaven is Under Our Feet: A Book for Walden Woods too. A woman I work with has a copy autographed sweetly by Mr. Henley - a friend got it for her at a local book signing. It says, "Rosemarie, I've heard you're very beautiful. I'm sorry I didn't get a chance to see you." What a charmer, that Don.

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Wow, what a nice autograph! Sweet Don!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten