Page 22 of 32 FirstFirst ... 12181920212223242526 ... LastLast

Thread: Eagles Radio Sirius Channel 30 November 17, 2017

Default Re: Eagles Radio Sirius Channel 30 November 17, 2017

Don't forget that Bob's guest DJ show debuts tonight at 6:00pm Eastern/5:00 Central. I'm just about to full into the drive when it comes on. So I will have it on before I get out of the car.

Brothers for life. RIP Glenn

I'm not sure I believe in fate, but I know that crossing paths with Glenn Lewis Frey in 1970 changed my life forever, and it eventually had an impact on the lives of millions of other people all over the planet. It will be very strange going forward in a world without him in it. But, I will be grateful, every day, that he was in my life. Rest in peace, my brother. You did what you set out to do, and then some." -Don Henley

[QUOTE=Delilah;368340]J.D.’s Guest DJ stint cont....

7. Heartache Tonight- as Shun said this came about after he and Glenn had been listening to Sam Cooke albums all afternoon. It started out with no instruments, just he and Glenn walking around the pool, snapping their fingers. When they got stuck, they called Don H for help and the song got better. They were trying to write singles for the LR album. But they didn’t have a chorus for it until Glenn called Bob Seger on the phone. Bob listened and then came in on the downbeat with his part. Glenn roughly went over it with JD who agreed to having a 4th songwriter. JD didn’t hear it again until the song was completed much later (this is interesting b/c didn’t Glenn say that Bob was present when he came up with the chorus part, that Bob went outside by the pool and belted it out?).

I immediately thought the same thing, Delilah.

It was a great show. Great sections by Bob. Bob was on for an hour and a half. I might have miss a few songs since I was driving home, but I think I got of them.

I didn't get to write all of the stories on each song. I'm not good at it. I hope someone remembered some of them.

1. How long
    2. Waiting in the weeds
    3. No more cloudy days
    4. Guilty of the crime - Bob loves this song. Guilty of which one. There's a lot of them he said or something like that. LOL
    5. Try and love again - he said Randy harmonizing with himself on this song and Glenn playing lead.
    6. The last resort
    7. Take it easy -
    8. Get over it
    9. Love will keep us alive - His wife loves this song.
    10. Ol 55 - Did I miss something. Randy had a little part in this song? I always thought it was just Don and Glenn singing lead. He also said it was from the Desperado album.
    11. Learn to be still
    12. Seven bridges road
    13. Those shoes
    14. Saturday Night- when he and his wife heard this in concert, she said they were her favorite band of all time.
    15. Hotel California- Bob tells the story of the Eagles not going to the Grammys. Andy Williams calls out their names. He looks around and saw they weren't there. Bob calls Glenn and said "how could you do that to Andy Williams?" Bob said Glenn had people at his house and repeated what Bob with his great sense of humor.
    16. The Sad Café- Bob is the third person to pick this song. Vince and Timothy also picked this song.
    Last edited by shunlvswx; 12-18-2017 at 11:57 PM.

Brothers for life. RIP Glenn

I'm not sure I believe in fate, but I know that crossing paths with Glenn Lewis Frey in 1970 changed my life forever, and it eventually had an impact on the lives of millions of other people all over the planet. It will be very strange going forward in a world without him in it. But, I will be grateful, every day, that he was in my life. Rest in peace, my brother. You did what you set out to do, and then some." -Don Henley

Ok, I managed to catch most of Bob’s segment. I missed the beginning; I heard Waiting in the Weeds and then No More Cloudy Days. I was thinking Bob had not even started yet then I heard him say “it’s hard to pick these songs” and that he’s known these guys for a very long time. He proceeds to pick a song by each band member singing lead (except Don F).

Guilty of the Crime- Bob laughs “what are you guilty of, Joe?”

Try and Love Again- he comments on Randy’s “wonderful voice” and “fantastic vocal.” He can hear Glenn’s lead guitar which is unusual b/c they had Joe and Felder to play lead guitar. Also unusual, he points out, is that Randy sings harmony with himself.

Bob notes how the song runs into The Last Resort, which he calls “fantastic.” He considers these 2 songs the “strongest album closing” he’s ever heard. He used to play them both together a lot.

Take It Easy - Bob met Glenn in ‘66 which is the same year they recorded ‘Ramblin Gamblin Man’; however they held onto it until ‘68 when he signed with Capitol Records. When he first heard TIE on the radio he thought ‘how wonderful, Glenn made it!’ This is a song that always sounds new. It has great harmonies and he praises Bernie’s guitar harmonics. Deacon sings it now and Bob comments how he joined the band on stage this past summer. He compliments Deacon’s performance. He also mentions Vince Gill, “another good friend of mine.”

Probably Bob’s most notable statement: “It’s great to see the Eagles continue on.”

Get Over It- going to the Eagles’ later period, this is the most ferocious Eagles song, guitar playing is at their peak, “Henley’s singing the s**t out of it.”

Love Will Keep Us Alive - his wife loves this “lovely” song

Ol 55- Bob says he really loves this song b/c both Glenn and Don sing on it and so does Randy. “The harmonies are amazing on it—they always are.”

Learn to Be Still- going back to HFO for this one, Bob says they played better in their later period and progressed. A great Henley lyric.

Seven Bridges Road- (here Bob has some of his facts mixed up) They started doing this before they were even signed. It’s an old folk song. You can hear for the first time ever how brilliantly they harmonize. He then credits Bernie, Randy, Glenn and Don with the singing (at this point I thought maybe he was going to play some bootleg version but no, it was definitely the song from the Live album).

Those Shoes- “I gotta tell this story” he starts off. The first time he heard it was at Glenn’s house. They were working on the Long Run album and were under tremendous pressure to follow up HC. Felder had a hand in this song along with Henley and Glenn. About six months later he read a blurb in Rolling Stone about the new album. The guys were asked what it was about. The answer: “Shoes.” Bob cracked up about this when he read it.

Saturday Night - from the Desperado album—he likes jumping back and forth. It doesn’t matter because the songs are so great. The production is wonderful. The singing is “other-worldly.” The interesting thing is that all 4 of them wrote the song. About 6 months before Glenn died, he saw the Eagles at the Joe Louis Arena in Detroit perform this song. He hadn’t heard it in years. That’s when his wife made the comment that this was her favorite band of all time. Bernie was back there playing mandolin.

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

Thanks Shun and Delilah for the review. I like what bob picked. It’s funny how he got some of the facts wrong (as seems to happen whenever someone talks about the band). I like he picked The underrated songs. I love that his wife said they are her favorite band.

Bob’s DJ segment cont...

Hotel California- Bob remembers when this was nominated for “single of the year.” He told Glenn they were going to win this. Glenn asked “why?” Bob told him “flawless vocals, state of the art guitars, brilliant lyric, great harmonies. brilliant track.” Being the Eagles and being obstinate, Bob said, they didn’t go. Then Bob continues as Shun describes. Bob could hear everyone laughing in the background when Glenn repeats what Bob said (they were all watching the Grammys). Bob said Glenn had the greatest sense of humor.

Sad Cafe- He’s going to wrap it up with Don Henley. The guys started out playing at the Troubadour, backed up Linda Ronstadt. The song has fabulous harmonies, Glenn is on the electric piano at the beginning.

Overall I thought Bob did a nice job. I missed what he said at the beginning but it seemed he wanted to play a song by each member singing lead although he skipped Bernie and Don F. However he did mention them a few times. It was different from JD’s approach, where the focus was on songs by Don H, Glenn and himself and the others were never mentioned, except Don F. However, JD provided some nice anecdotes about the songwriting, which I really appreciate.

Stuck on the Border

Delilah and Shun - Thanks you so much for the recap. I really appreciate you took the time to take notes. Interesting about RGM being recorded in 1966 when he met Glenn. Glenn would only have been 17 then. The Grammy story is funny. You can just imagine poor Andy Williams standing there looking around for the Eagles to bounce on stage to accept the award. I like to see that Bob loves Ol 55 - I have always loved that song too.
    Thanks again !

You’re welcome, everyone who has expressed thanks. I appreciate that someone is reading it b/c I know I can get long-winded and a little OCD on the details.

Quote Originally Posted by East Texas Girl View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Delilah View Post

7. Heartache Tonight- But they didn’t have a chorus for it until Glenn called Bob Seger on the phone. Bob listened and then came in on the downbeat with his part. Glenn roughly went over it with JD who agreed to having a 4th songwriter. JD didn’t hear it again until the song was completed much later (this is interesting b/c didn’t Glenn say that Bob was present when he came up with the chorus part, that Bob went outside by the pool and belted it out?).
    I immediately thought the same thing, Delilah.
    I guess after so many years later, it’s easy to get things mixed up. Of course the stuff they were indulging in at the time probably didn’t help.

Banned

I've started looking forward to all the, generously posted, daily updates and really enjoy reading the, in-depth, track lists, introductions and general banter inbetween. Thank you so much, shunlvswx, Delilah and everybody else who has contributed.

Are Sirius Radio lining up any more guest DJs?

Border Rebel

Thanks, Delilah and Shun for all of the posts. I have been catching up on reading them and truly appreciate your efforts! I'm sure after 40 plus years, everyone remembers details about events a little differently.