Page 80 of 86 FirstFirst ... 3070767778798081828384 ... LastLast

Thread: Kennedy Centre Honorees

Border Troubadour

Default Re: Kennedy Centre Honorees

Quote Originally Posted by Vector View Post
    Being an Aussie, you might very well be of Irish decent, or at least penal colony decent. That certainly adds a bit of flavor to your perspective.
    I'm afraid your idea of a joke was lost in translation - for a start the word should spell 'descent' and being Irish I do have a broad minded open tolerant view which I hope is what you meant by 'flavour'....

....and please refrain from presuming that you know Don Henley's mind and that he was the one who prevented the others being honoured. You and we have no idea what went on behind the scenes and I'm tired of people blaming him and of the whole KCH thing - I'm even sorry I started this thread!!!!

Save
    ...Well it sure makes you wonder the things that some people will say. They can see black and white but they don't seem to notice the grey...

Stuck on the Border MaryCalifornia's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Funk 50 View Post
    That's a pretty good reason for Steuart to be on stage MaryCalifornia but I believe the organizers, rather than the honorees are responsible for the stage show.
    In theory, yes, and for most artists, sure. But, knowing the Eagles as you do, do you think that they had no involvement? I just don't see them totally relinquishing control of the ceremony. I'm not saying they had a hand in the details, but I think at some level there was general oversight by Don and Irving in all aspects. Everything about the Eagles is always so carefully controlled, I would think they especially would want some control in this very high profile, final tribute to Glenn.

It would have been great if Crago had played on one of the songs. He definitely deserves it after touring with them day in and day out for so many many years.

Stuck on the Border

Given that Irving represents many other artists, he may have been asked for suggestions for performers. I believe Henley said in one interview that although in theory it was the KC who chose the performers, those being honoured sometimes get involved because they have better contacts.

I've seen parts of the show on youtube. For me, it was ok but unexciting. There was nothing as spine-chilling as the Wilson sisters "Stairway to Heaven". On the whole, I like Eagles songs performed by the Eagles rather than anyone else, so I'm not surprised when I don't like other versions as much. I liked seeing Bob Seger singing Heartache Tonight with such gusto (and I loved JD Souther's performance earlier in the year).

I would have loved to have seen all seven past and current members of the band up there and looking happy and friendly and reconciled, but it's too late for that.

You may think me churlish, but I would not have wanted to see the three former members there without Glenn. Going by the Grammy tribute, there would be too many people jumping on it as evidence that the problem had always been Glenn and now he's gone they could all get together and carry on without him.

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

A couple of things were said on the previous page that I'm not clear on - if anyone can verify, I'd be grateful.

I thought when Joe and Timothy were hired, they were full partners in Eagles, Ltd., isn't that the case? Then I guess the structure was changed many years later.

What about now, is Henley the sole partner/owner?

UtW, just for the record, I find you charming and not a bit churlish.

Stuck on the Border

Sorry the humor (i.e. humour) flew over your head without you understanding.
    I understood it perfectly well, thank you, if it was indeed 'humour' (thank you so much for providing me with the British/Australian spelling). I did not think that responding to tired clichés about how Australians are either Irish or 'convicts' was worth a response, and neither was the rest of the condescension apparent in the post. So I would have preferred to let it go. However, as once again this reply drips of even more condescension, I will give you a reply.

I am of Irish descent and while not a 'First Fleeter' I do have ancestors who came here as convicts. So good for you. You hit the jackpot.

Now.... NMB, I don't believe Joe or TIm were ever full partners. Full members, yes, but not owners. Somebody correct me if I am wrong, as I inevitably am.
    Last edited by Freypower; 01-05-2017 at 06:04 PM.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by NightMistBlue View Post
    A couple of things were said on the previous page that I'm not clear on - if anyone can verify, I'd be grateful.

I thought when Joe and Timothy were hired, they were full partners in Eagles, Ltd., isn't that the case? Then I guess the structure was changed many years later.

What about now, is Henley the sole partner/owner?

UtW, just for the record, I find you charming and not a bit churlish.
    NMB, that's the nicest thing anyone has said to me today.

You can run a business as a partnership or a corporation. Eagles probably started as a partnership but was incorporated in 1974. By the time Joe and Timothy joined, there were no partners, full or otherwise but there were shareholders. Neither Joe nor Timothy became shareholders but they were paid the same as the three members who were shareholders.

I had a stab at trying to explain how it worked in this thread.

Stuck on the Border buffyfan145's Avatar

From what I know about the Kennedy Center Honors and having watched it on/off over the past decade the artists being honored aren't supposed to know who is performing their songs or how the Kennedy Center will honor them. I've heard this from artists who have performed there before and other honorees over the years like when Paul McCartney got honored a couple years ago as he had no idea what they were going to do till that night.
    ~*Amanda*~
    "So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key."

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    I understood it perfectly well, thank you, if it was indeed 'humour' (thank you so much for providing me with the British/Australian spelling). I did not think that responding to tired clichés about how Australians are either Irish or 'convicts' was worth a response, and neither was the rest of the condescension apparent in the post. So I would have preferred to let it go. However, as once again this reply drips of even more condescension, I will give you a reply.

I am of Irish descent and while not a 'First Fleeter' I do have ancestors who came here as convicts. So good for you. You hit the jackpot.

Now.... NMB, I don't believe Joe or TIm were ever full partners. Full members, yes, but not owners. Somebody correct me if I am wrong, as I inevitably am.
    I always like it when I am right.
    Not that you would know or care, but I have been part of a discussion group, a think tank if you will, on the "troubles" in Northern Ireland. Many an interested person resides down under now, whether it be by choice or force. So rather than take my tongue in cheek comment in the negative, understand that from my perspective, it is a badge of honour!

You are correct, Tim & Joe were never partners/owners, merely hired hands which went against the intial philosophy of the founding of the Eagles. However when Frey & Henley saw that they preferred to be the decision makers, that came to an end after Felder.

As to the condescension part, I suspect you are too sensitive to have taken offence.
    I may come across that way at times, but it is not really my intent.

`

Stuck on the Border MaryCalifornia's Avatar

You are correct, Tim & Joe were never partners/owners, merely hired hands
    I don't know what this means. Tim and Joe write and sing lead on Eagles songs. They have an interest in song royalties, touring revenues, merch revenues, etc... - they do not get paid a wage by the band like backing musicians would. What does "hired hands" mean to you? I thought we all understood that they have a percentage share in the corporate property, albeit a smaller share than Don and Glenn.

Lightbulb Re: Kennedy Centre Honorees

Quote Originally Posted by MaryCalifornia View Post
    I don't know what this means. Tim and Joe write and sing lead on Eagles songs. They have an interest in song royalties, touring revenues, merch revenues, etc... - they do not get paid a wage by the band like backing musicians would. What does "hired hands" mean to you? I thought we all understood that they have a percentage share in the corporate property, albeit a smaller share than Don and Glenn.
    To be clear I am big fans of Schmit & Walsh.

What I mean by that is simple.
    With the original 4 (all equal owners in Eagles Ltd), Frey had declared that it was not going to be a group of sidemen, as they had all experienced that, and didn't want that within their own band.
    That was also true when Frey offered Felder an equal share of Eagles Ltd to join them.
    Thus at this point the professed philosophy was still there.

However when Leadon got fed up and left, Frey convinced the others to bring in Walsh. However, Walsh was not offered ownership, and instead was a hired hand, a sideman. The same is true of Schmit. So while they get paid well and are allowed to call themselves Eagles, when push came to shove, they had no control when the rubber hit the road. Either or both could be fired, but neither Frey nor Henley could.

Some people claim Frey & Henley became greedy and control freaks, so they were not going to repeat the same mistake they made with Felder, with the newer members.
    Regardless of the reason/s, Walsh & Schmit were never on an equal footing, nor did they have control, despite their wonderful contributions like what you alluded to with writing/singing.
    Last edited by Vector; 01-06-2017 at 12:41 AM.
    `