Thread: Might be the owner of a possible ex-Joe Les Paul

Out on the Border

Default Might be the owner of a possible ex-Joe Les Paul

Hi Guys,

Hopefully the wealth of knowledge on here on all things Walsh might be able to help me out.

I have just become the proud owner of a 79 Les Paul Custom which after purchasing (so no bs sell speak from the seller) I was advised it was originally bought from one of Joe's techs many years ago (about 20-25) from a shop in Sacremento (or possibly Tampa).

I have been in charge contact with a few known techs but none of them are sure or weren't around at that time.

Being a 79 it's obviously post Long Run era and into Joe's post Eagles era which was a hard time for him for many reasons so this could be a very hard one to confirm in any way or form.

Does anyone know if Joe ever played a Black Custom? Any pics or info on anything post 79 that could give me a lead?

Trying the usual FB/Twitter things as well but no joy as yet.

Here's a pic:

Thanks in advance for any help.

Border Desperado SilverAcidRayne's Avatar

Default Re: Might be the owner of a possible ex-Joe Les Paul

I am in no way a musician, but I love guitars. this one is beautiful. but if I were you I would do a little more research on this. from what I pulled up its really not known if Joe owned a model of this exact year. he may have but I cant find anything. but I did find this website you can scroll thru. the ladies and gents on here may know more. good luck and I hope you get some answers

http://www.chicagomusicexchange.com/...lectric?page=1

Joe has played Customs back then - I've seen him in pics with them.

But to know if it was his, you'd have to talk to the man himself or his people. And he may or may not remember it, and even if he did there would be no safe way to authenticate as he may not have record of that specific guitar. It would be a guess, at best. No vintage guitar dealer should be selling you something saying it belonged to so and so without proof, IMO. Trying to use a possible connection to sell something without proof. I could say I have Joe's old 1960 Les Paul and I want 10x what a normal 1960 goes for and it would be fraud unless you had proof and especially a letter or documentation. It would be a red flag for me, as someone who buys vintage guitars. So I'm glad it wasn't brought up before you bought it.

My guess is that it was the tech's guitar, but it would be cool if Joe did own it.

Enjoy that guitar. I'm a Les Paul man myself...though I do love just about every guitar.

Quote Originally Posted by welshwalsh View Post
    Hi Guys,

Hopefully the wealth of knowledge on here on all things Walsh might be able to help me out.

I have just become the proud owner of a 79 Les Paul Custom which after purchasing (so no bs sell speak from the seller) I was advised it was originally bought from one of Joe's techs many years ago (about 20-25) from a shop in Sacremento (or possibly Tampa).

I have been in charge contact with a few known techs but none of them are sure or weren't around at that time.

Being a 79 it's obviously post Long Run era and into Joe's post Eagles era which was a hard time for him for many reasons so this could be a very hard one to confirm in any way or form.

Does anyone know if Joe ever played a Black Custom? Any pics or info on anything post 79 that could give me a lead?

Trying the usual FB/Twitter things as well but no joy as yet.

Here's a pic:

Thanks in advance for any help.
    Try contacting Joe Vitale on Facebook to see if he has any knowledge of this.

Wintertime is a razor blade that the devil made
    It's the price we pay for the summertime - J.W. '69