Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Remembering 9/11

Default 9/11

Thank you DonFan.

The terrible feelings of despair that gripped us all in the wake of the twin towers has been shared by people around the world. One of the saddest aspects to me is that there are millions of people living with the threat of attacks every day. My son-in-law is from Pakistan and although he is here, his family is still in Pakistan and they live in fear. Attacks similar to the the twin towers and Murrah building happen on a daily basis for so many, and I can't imagine the sheer terror they live with. ''Hole In The World" couldn't be more apt.
    I possess the silver bullets to slay the demons from my past. How do I know? Because I survived them-and I am already stronger than I believe.

Stuck on the Border

In Australia it was September 12. It was about 5.30 am when my husband called to me 'you'd better come and look at the TV'. I went downstairs and saw the carnage. My heart started pounding in a way it had not since 1987 when I knew my father had just died (I knew it even though it wasn't confirmed until a couple of hours later). At first I was confused when I saw one of the Twin Towers still standing. 'Well at least this one hasn't fallen' and then - wham - down it went.

My daughter was only three at the time and I took her round to my mother's place (I was on leave from work) and we watched the coverage all day. Rosalind didn't seem to mind that we weren't watching children's programs - it was like she sensed this was big. I had tears running down my face.

It really is moving reading everyone's thoughts. Thanks for contributing.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

The impacts of that day are still far reaching and intense. It really did change us forever. I know this as evidenced by the fact that I couldn't even bring myself to read this thread when I first saw it on Tuesday. And as I sit here this morning reading through everyone's experiences and emotions, I literally have tears running down my face. On my drive to work on Tuesday, which was just about the same time of the first attack six years ago, I put Hole In the World in the CD player as well. I guess that's a common reaction for diehard Eagles fans like us. I must be a creature of habit because I was also driving to work six years ago when the first attack occurred. Like everyone else, when I arrived at work, everyone was glued to CNN. We did very little work that day. The company I worked for at the time was headquartered on Long Island so we were confirming the safety of employees throughout the day. Almost as soon as I got home that evening and turned on the television, Building 5 that was attached to the towers collapsed - the last building to fall on a horrible day. When we arrived at work on Wednesday morning our entire computer system in our office in Virginia was dead. After several phone calls, it was ascertained that the computer server for our office had been located in Building 5 of the WTC. Since, of course, there was no way our computer system would be recovered, we spent the next several weeks reconstructing our computers. Of course, this pales in comparison to what others went through. Like everyone else, my thoughts and prayers continuously remain with all those impacted by the events of that tragic day.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Reading this has brought back into focus that terrible time. I was not directly affected by the tragedy as some were. My son and daughter in law were married two months after it happened and she was an EMT at the time, which kinda freaked me out. I hadn't thought before of her job being dangerous. What was hardest for me personally was two weeks later when my best friend's husband was called up to active duty. The day before he left, the school our kids attended was having its annual fall festival and the priest was acting as auctioneer. We went to the side of the tent to ask the priest to take a moment to ask a blessing for him and his family. Instead of doing this outside the tent as we thought, he brought the family into the tent and asked everyone present to extend a hand and join him as he prayed. I stood at the back of the gathering with tears pouring down. A few minutes later when we were saying goodbye in the parking lot, I hugged him and I couldn't let go. As long as he was in my arms, I knew he was safe. I knew once I let go I might never see him again. His daughter was 8 years old...she woke up screaming at night for months, afraid her dad had been killed. I think it was the longest year of their lives.

I'm sorry it's taken me a couple of days to get to this thread. It has been very moving reading all of your contributions. It was lunchtime when my son called down to me to say a plane had crashed into one of the Twin Towers, and for the rest of the day we watched with increasing shock and horror as the tragedy developed. Some time later, there was a memorial service on the radio, culminating with Samuel Barber's Adagio. D and I sat with our arms around each other, tears streaming down our faces, and I've never been able to listen to that piece since without being reminded of the senseless loss and grief that so many people experienced.

www.donfelderonline.com
    ~~~~~
    This way to happiness...

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

My husband and I were supposed to fly to Florida for a vacation 4 days after 9/11. We canceled our trip. We just didn't feel like going somewhere for a good time when so many people were hurting. It was a very sad and bewildering time for our country as a whole.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

My aunt sent me this ice sculpture. Sorry it's so small, but that's the size I got it.

That's beautiful, PLS.

I googled a few words and came up with this version.

http://www.firehouse.com/news/2002/2/23_Pice.html

www.donfelderonline.com
    ~~~~~
    This way to happiness...

Oooo thank you GEF! I thought it was great when it was small. No doubt the angels were very busy that day cradling the departed in their wings.