Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Expando Reviews!

Default Re: Expando Reviews!

It's all good, guys. Different people find different things funny. Now, Let's not stray too far from the topic!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

I didn't mind the skit at all. I laughed till I cried in a couple of places. My favorite part was when Tim said he couldn't afford Eagles tickets and Glenn said "well I can". It was the rest of the article that really bothered the h*ll out of me! I think alot of it was just mean spirited and let's face it, this guy has never been a fan period so why bother writing a review in the first place. JMHO.

Almost done with my review but I know it will not be near as detailed as some of them here. I have really enjoyed reading yours. It's interesting to see how everyones opinions are shared or different.
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Last night I tried to put the Expando songs in the order that I like them, but I discovered that I'm not able to do it yet. I'm gonna have to put myself through the ordeal of listening to them some more.

And Willie, I appreciate what you are saying about the review. I don't really agree with the idea that only fans should write reviews, but that's a whole 'nother topic. In this particular case, it seems that we mostly disagree about whether or not the intention here was to be mean-spirited or humorous. Obviously, unless we ask the writer, I guess the answer can be whatever each of us wants it to be.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Same here. I'm giving the album time to sink in - especially since I got it so late!

You are right Dreamer and I've said it before that reviews shouldn't be written only by fans, I shouldn't of phrased it that way. But I also maintain that you don't have to be cruel if you are not a fan and I believe saying Tim looks like the "crypt keeper" is overstepping the boundries for a review and also believe what an artist looks like should have nothing to do with what an album sounds like or whether someone is capable of liking it or not.

That being said... the following review is being written by a HUGE fan and might lean towards the biased a bit. Which is kinda funny, because to be honest, I'm more of the rock n roll type and can't think of another artist that sings Tim's kind of music that I can say I'd listen to. Know what I mean?

I will also do it according to the order of the tracks on the album because I can't seem to put them in order of most fave to least fave. I can, I believe however, put them in 3 categories, LOVE, Like a lot and just like.

1.) One More Mile-LOVE IT-From the very first "Eeeeee" & note of Keb Mo, I love this tune! Keb Mo's Slide Dobro (thanks Mike & Bernie-I learned something last weekend & in the Gearhead thread) really does it for me. For some reason I've always loved what I call the "O Brother Where Art Thou" kinda music, kinda blue grassy, again not my usual style.

2. Parachute-LOVE IT-I was taken by this song the first time I heard it on Tim's MySpace. Loved the guitar work by Kenny Wayne and the background vocals are very noticably Graham Nash. Saw a couple reviews here talking CSN like, and even Tim said that in the interview Jess posted-I personally don't feel that way about it but what do I know. In looking at the credits, I had to look up "strumstick" to see what it is-I found a catalog of them on line and this is at the top of the page "No wrong notes and no talent required"- finally an instrument I could play.

3.) Friday Night-LOVE IT-I admit, when I first heard it on MySpace, I wasn't so much taken by it-I think simply because I had just listened to the rockin' Parachute and wasn't mentally ready to move onto this song. I quickly started liking it and by the time I heard it in concert, I was practically jumping out of my skin to hear it live. Love the lyrics,especially "You can be my princess, I'll be what you like, let's run around the palace"-boy does that ever give me an image in my mind. But my favorite part of the whole song is that one beat of the bass drum before he sings the chorus each time. One stupid beat just gives me such a thrill. I know PM has said it sounds Irish like-the part I believe she is referring to reminded me a lot of an old 80s song called Safety Dance? Silly!

4.) Ella Jean-LIKE-I tried to really really like this one more but I just can't and I choose to believe it has nothing to do with the fact it was written for Jean (I think that is wonderful!). I just feel it sounds to much like a Kids Bop song or something. Love the sentiment of it tho.

5.) White Boy From Sacamento-LOVE IT-I have made it perfectly clear this is my favorite song on the cd. Tim's low vocals (who knew he could do that?) and the way he pokes fun at himself is just fantastic. Again had to look up what "Jade East" is--it's a cologne. Made sense after I figured that out. I learned a lot more about Tim with several of the songs on this cd but this one the most. Love the electric piano and the lyrics..."I hit those high notes like they were nothin'..." Genius!

6.) Compasion-LIKE-I really like the lyrics at the beginning of this one, especially the 1st verse-it again tells me that he is very appreciative of what he has and where his career has gotten him. But toward the end of the song, I think the lyrics lose something. I find myself zoning out a bit during it.

7.) Downtime-LIKE A LOT-I think the vibraphone (had to look that one up also to see exactly what it was) is really cool. The backgrounds by Kid & Dwight are pretty cool, and what a combination! I think it's hilarious that they give fingersnap credit to Hank on the liner notes! I do, however, feel they could of shortened this song by a couple of minutes-6:34 seems a bit long.

8.) Melancholy-LIKE-Probably my least favorite song on the cd. To slow for me. The lyrics, however, make me want to say "been there, done that". Good name for the song.

9.) I Don't Mind-LIKE A LOT- The first thing I noticed when I heard this song was the tuba-it just cracked me up. How many songs can you think of where you hear a tuba so prominently? I think the lyrics are very catchy and I find this one sticking in my head after hearing it a lot. Love the attitude in the lyrics and I'm with the others here that wonder who it's about. I have my own idea of who that might be. It also reminds me of a skit I read recently. I'm glad to know that Tim does get "fed up" like the rest of us sometimes also.

10.) Secular Praise-LOVE IT- WOW! This song gives me the chills! It's just so soulful. The words are fantastic, I especially love the verse "Don't go to church, but I feel the weight. Some people think I'm shy. Still I hope to shake the hand of fate before I die." You and I both Tim! The whole Hallelujah part just makes me want to get up and scream amen! Tim's voice is just beautiful in this-what a perfect mix of his and The Blind Boys voices. I would like to have been in the same room as Tim when he was writing this one and would love to pick his brain on what brought this one on.

11.) A Good Day-LIKE A LOT-1 2 3 4--a bit country sounding but I can overlook that because it is a catchy little tune. A feel good song. I believe it was PM that said "who doesn't want to have one of these?" And the line "make love till we can't see straight"... oh yeah!

I caught myself quite a bit while taking my notes writing "catchy tune" next to a song. I agree with whoever said that the songs here tend to stick in your head. I have found myself more than once since last weekend singing them to myself. I'm sure this cd will get a lot of play from me. I also agree with ltlh (I believe) when she said it's borderline voyeurism while listening to this cd. It does seem as if he is telling us his life story.

Stuck on the Border

I'm going to try and make some quick comments. I am listening to it for the very first time. I should point out that I probably won't have the same appreciation of it that Tim's 'real' fans have.

One More Mile - I really liked this on the first hearing. Nice and bluesy, something I haven't heard him do before. Vaguely 'Henleyesque' lyrics. References to 'the inner child' and 'the one you love'!

Parachute - now I know why it's like CSNY. Graham Nash is on it. I think this will be a favourite.

Friday Night - very pleasant track which rolls along nicely.

Ella Jean - sorry, Tim fans. Far too sweet and I'm not a fan of the falsetto here, I'm afraid. I don't dislike it but I can tell it won't be a favourite.

White Boy From Sacramento - well. It's different but there are too many echoes of Born To Boogie & the 'swampy' version of Smuggler's Blues. I understand why people like the lower voice. I don't know if I like it or not.

Compassion - very nice indeed, with some beautiful harmonies. Vaguely Cat Stevens sounding.

Downtime - that's right Tim. That's what we want. A bit of 'growl'. Some funk. 'Take it easy' reference'. 'Something's wrong' reference. Accordion (Van Dyke Parks). This is my type of song! (I'm not a fan of the spelling 'cuz', though).

Melancholy - this is very pretty. Probably the closest track to the Eagles in spirit. I like this type of minor key melody (I hope it's in a minor key)!

I Don't Mind - I don't know who is being addressed here and I don't reallly care. I do like the lines 'sometimes without warning/you strike with all your glory' (ahem). What a fun groove for such a lyric. Very When I'm 64. The longer the song goes, the more I like it. You tell 'em, Tim (whoever 'they' are).....!

Secular Praise - Somewhat similar to Soul Searchin'. Has a very nice feel, but on one listen it's not a great favourite. I'm sure it will grow on me.

A Good Day - very country, a bit like the Byrds' version of You Ain't Goin' Nowhere, especially with the harmonica. Very nice. I could see John Fogerty in his latest guise having a go at this.

Overall, I'm delighted to have a Tim album that sounds like Tim doing what he wants to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post

Compassion - very nice indeed, with some beautiful harmonies. Vaguely Cat Stevens sounding.
    PM-what's your take on this? I went back to your review and looked to see if I had missed you saying something about that also. I don't know that much about Cat to compare it.

FP--I like your review and you comparisons to other songs. Kinda put them into a little more perspective. But I still feel this cd is all Tim which is basically what you summed up in your last line also.

Thanks TBF and FP for your reviews. I enjoyed reading them both. Everybody's review is bringing something different to the table and I like that.

Concerning Compassion sounding vaguely like Cat Stevens, I totally get it in the nature Julie is intending. A very simple tune with just the guitar...very Catlike. All of her similarities are interesting.
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Another interview/review from VH1 Radio.

http://www.wewillrockyoublog.com/200...about-expando/

Last edited by TimothyBFan; 07-08-2010 at 08:55 AM.

Thanks for the heads-up! Did you see my Chicago video was linked at the bottom, too?