Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Expando Reviews!

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Default Re: Expando Reviews!

Oops--Sorry Nancy but I'm just now getting to the last couple of pages and hadn't had a chance to hit your link. I agree-like I said didn't know whether to laugh or cry. I will say however, I hate the crypt keeper thing as much now as I did when he did the original story!
    He sings it high, he plays it low

That Crypt-Keeper thing irritates me as well - and Heaven knows he took enough jabs at the rest of the guys, too!

But these lines especially made me crack up:

Quote Originally Posted by Mellow Gold Theatre
    Henley: Tim, if you paid what we charge for concert tickets, would you leave for any moment of the show?

Schmit: That’s a tough question. I can’t afford Eagles concert tickets.
    LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by Mellow Gold Theatre
    Henley: Uh, I think what Glenn was trying to say was that sure, the album came out just fine, but do you not remember the torture it took us to make it? How Azoff had to ply us with $100 bills in a trail from our houses to the studio?
    Hehehe!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border luvthelighthouse's Avatar

OMG, that skit is the funniest thing I've read in a while. I was litterally laughing out loud, loudly!!! I don't agree about Expando either... but it seems they were looking for a hard rock piece and they got folk rock instead.

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

I agree, OMG!

Sorry guys!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by luvthelighthouse View Post
    I decided to write my review with the following disclaimer: If you want to hear the songs fresh without any preconceived notions, please stop reading. I do not want any of my thoughts to cloud your own views. Sometimes, when someone calls out a certain aspect, it stays with you… and I don’t want that to be the case. However, if you want to read my ramblings, carry on.

There is a common theme to this CD, appreciating the good life.

One More Mile – It’s a little too folksy for my taste. I could do w/out the lyrics altogether. I do however think it would make a good instrumental peace, as I do like the heavy bass line on this song, as well as the percussion sounds. During the show, it appeared Chris Farmer took out a container of rocks and start started shaking it. You can hear the rocks on the song and I laugh at the memory!

Parachute – I want to like this song, but the jury is still out. I can’t help but think he wrote this when he was on tour w/the Eagles. “when you think you’ve had enough of this living on your own… longing for home… time to change your attitude” I see that as being on the road too long and wanting the comforts of day to day life, but then remembering, this was your dream and you are lucky to be living it. I’m appreciating the guitar, as I feel that is the driving instrument of this song.

Friday Night – One of my favorites. I’m partial to the “bells” in the background. It gives off a simple old world charm. I feel as if I should be in a European courtyard listening to a live local band performing this. I love the progression changes from slow to fast, slow, fast. When TBS picks it up and goes into, “Slip into you best dress, paint your lips red”, I actually want to get dressed up and have some fun. The whole feel of the song is carefree and I enjoy that.

Ella Jean- I can relate to Nancy’s thoughts of this sounding very Beach Boyesque. It certainly has that California/Brian Wilson feel to it. As I mentioned earlier, I feel like I’m glimpsing into TBS life and his feelings for Jean. It’s a sweet song, nothing ground breaking. I have two things I like most, when he sings, “flowers in your hair.” To me, that is him remembering Jean in her innocent youth. That imagine of her eternal beauty etched in his mind. The second is the great harmony at the end.

White Boy From Sacramento – Another stand out for me. The lyrics are awesome, the music is upbeat, his voice is great! I enjoy the fact that he steps away from his soft sound and adds a little edge. When he sings high, “I hit them high notes like they were nothin’ “… classic! The backup harmonies from the women are spectacular against TBS funkier sound. Its kinda 50’s rockish too. This is the perfect song for Ben to be on. I didn’t realize he played drums and lead guitar - the guitar sounded great IMO! Personally, I think these lyrics sum TBS up… he gets it! He gets the whole normal childhood to dreams realized. It’s as if he’s looking back on a good life. It’s fun, funky, funny and feel good!

Compassion- This is another song where the instruments stand out. This song is all TBS too, no one joins him on any part of it. If it were an instrumental, I’d have been okay w/that. The way the sounds mesh is very soothing.

Downtown- It’s a bluesy and beatnik and the same time. I think the sounds of Kid Rock and Dwight complement TBS on the chorus. Much of how I feel that TBS complements Don when singing harmonies. This is another one of those fun tempo changing songs. I love songs that change it up right in the middle and go back to the original format. The accordion is a great addition to this song!

Melancholy – Title sums it up pretty well

I Don’t Mind – The tuba is a sure hit on this number! I have to wonder who this is about though. Wife, kids, band mate? I get an old time country flavor to this song. I think it’s the way he kinda lazily sings it.

Secular Praise – More reflection of a carefree childhood and good life. I’m lovin’ the gospel touch the Blind Boys bring to the table. They sound fantastic! Again, in theme, gratitude, “I don’t know why some have less and some have more - all my sorrow could all fit in a bedroom drawer”. IMO, this is the song from and to his soul. Lots of internal reflection. The organ and accordion add to that emotional feel of it all. It’s heartwarming... actually, a few times, it has brought tears to my eyes it and made the hairs on my arm stand up.

A Good Day – Another favorite. Its fun, TBS plays harmonica, along w/several other instruments. It’s just such a common feeling. As Timothy said in his show, “everyone just wants to have a good day”. He’s right! “we’ll make love ‘til we can’t see straight” okay, who’s not lovin’ that line? This one has a steel guitar and reminds me a little of Poco. Catchy little chorus, I see it being stuck in my head a lot!

Overall, I give this a thumbs up. On the whole, not a lot of songs I’d skip past. Maybe One More Mile and Melancholy… but I think it would depend on my mood. Now, of course I have a biased opinion, I know that. I do value it though. I really feel TBS put his heart and soul in Expando. I’d give it a five out five stars! It’s a feel good CD that really goes back to his roots and I think has allowed him to grow musically. He takes great care in marrying different instruments to get the best sounds possible. I can tell he spent a lot of time deciding what instruments to use and sounds that please his ears. It's not hard rock, but a laid back rock without being boring.
    LTL, Chris Farmer plays a clear plastic container of metal washers...couldn't you tell? When I first saw them, I thought they were chocolate-covered pretzels...then I realized the sound would not be very consistent show to show, for obvious reasons!!
    ~Eva~

...the calling of the tide's eternal tune, the phases of the moon, the chambers of the heart, the egg and dart...

Stuck on the Border

I did not find it funny and I was not impressed by the last paragraph. I'm afraid I must have missed something. Self-indulgence of this type in the guise of a 'review' is not my idea of fun. Sorry.

I certainly didn't appreciate his comments about Glenn!

Hey LTL, I just wanted to tell you that I really enjoyed your review. It was very thorough and thoughtful. I'm itching to write one up, but I need to listen a little more and think about it when I have more time. I have a feeling there will be some similarities!
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Thanks PM. I'm anxiously awaiting yours and others reviews. I'd love to hear everyones thoughts. I've listened to Expando more than one person should in a 24 hr period! I'm really enjoying though.

Cynd, I forgot to tell you, I also love the pic of him in his studio. Jeans and bare feet, so sexy! The whole image w/the istruments is awesome. Also, did you notice his hand was all wrapped up from the dog bite?

For those that don't have the CD yet, the image is on his website. It may be over here too, but I can't recall if someone posted it or not.