Page 295 of 302 FirstFirst ... 195245285291292293294295296297298299 ... LastLast
Results 2,941 to 2,950 of 3014

Thread: What's Happening In Your Life?

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Default Re: What's Happening In Your Life?

Good for you in asking for help. I love when teachers expect you to do things/know things they've never taught. Oops, we have a few professors on these forums so I better watch what I say

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

Quote Originally Posted by NightMistBlue View Post
    Good for you in asking for help. I love when teachers expect you to do things/know things they've never taught. Oops, we have a few professors on these forums so I better watch what I say
    Yeah, I know. I also have to let them know that I missed the last 3 years of high school, so if I was supposed to learn it in those grades, I didn't. Luckily, all of my teachers are nice, kind, respectful, and willing to offer help when asked for it, even if it's not their class. Still, that doesn't calm the anxiety I have because of this essay.

I'll be putting that essay aside today. Instead, I have to write/type a first draft on a magazine ad. I don't see how I'm going to be to write 2.5 pages in MLA format on an Arm and Hammer laundry detergent ad that's only half a page. (The final essay will have to be a minimum of 5 pages.)
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time

AG95, thanks.

Good luck with your assignments.

It's all in your smile that brings
    All of the special things about you

Quote Originally Posted by NightMistBlue View Post
    AG is in college now. The standard is higher. Yes, we expect students to have basic knowledge of things like how to do research and how to attribute it. I'll give my students reminders, but I'm not going to re-teach what they already should know. If I spent my freshman level composition class trying to make up for the inadequacies of the high schools of the region, my class would be a joke, as some of my students tell me their high school teachers never made them write an essay over one page in the entirety of their time at the school.

Meanwhile, other students got a proper education and expect their college class to be more than "review of what a topic sentence is." We have remedial classes for that. I assume AG's college does, too.

Plus, there's tons of online resources. For instance, one can see how to do an MLA Works Cited at the Purdue OWL.

AG is doing the right thing in asking for additional help.

Quote Originally Posted by AlreadyGone95 View Post
    I have to write/type a first draft on a magazine ad. I don't see how I'm going to be to write 2.5 pages in MLA format on an Arm and Hammer laundry detergent ad that's only half a page. (The final essay will have to be a minimum of 5 pages.)
    If it's a rhetorical analysis of the persuasive techniques of the ad, then you will be able to get the length requirement. You simply need to find the strategies they are using (there will be several to discuss) and explain how those strategies are being used in the ad. How are they using color? The size of text? Are there people in the ad? What kind of people (age, color, sex, etc)? What are they doing? What is being emphasized, textually and graphically? What demographic is the ad supposed to reach? How do you know that? What techniques are especially attractive to that demographic? What emotions are they trying to invoke? How so? There's lots to talk about. Now, if it's a different type of assignment, the criteria will be different, of course. I just know I assign a rhetorical analysis of an ad and there is so much to deconstruct that it's fascinating.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    AG is in college now. The standard is higher. Yes, we expect students to have basic knowledge of things like how to do research and how to attribute it. I'll give my students reminders, but I'm not going to re-teach what they already should know. If I spent my freshman level composition class trying to make up for the inadequacies of the high schools of the region, my class would be a joke, as some of my students tell me their high school teachers never made them write an essay over one page in the entirety of their time at the school.

Meanwhile, other students got a proper education and expect their college class to be more than "review of what a topic sentence is." We have remedial classes for that. I assume AG's college does, too.

Plus, there's tons of online resources. For instance, one can see how to do an MLA Works Cited at the Purdue OWL.

AG is doing the right thing in asking for additional help.

If it's a rhetorical analysis of the persuasive techniques of the ad, then you will be able to get the length requirement. You simply need to find the strategies they are using (there will be several to discuss) and explain how those strategies are being used in the ad. How are they using color? The size of text? Are there people in the ad? What kind of people (age, color, sex, etc)? What are they doing? What is being emphasized, textually and graphically? What demographic is the ad supposed to reach? How do you know that? What techniques are especially attractive to that demographic? What emotions are they trying to invoke? How so? There's lots to talk about. Now, if it's a different type of assignment, the criteria will be different, of course. I just know I assign a rhetorical analysis of an ad and there is so much to deconstruct that it's fascinating.

One thing that I've learned is that Google is my friend. If there's anything that I don't understand, I Google it first, and then email the teacher if I still don't understand it or don't find what I'm looking for.

As far as not knowing how to do certain things, that's I chose a 2 year college over an university. It's an easier transition. My college does have support classes for Math and English, but I aced the reading and writing parts of the COMPASS tests, so I don't need the English one. My writing skills aren't the problem. The support class meets just after the regular class. My teacher let's all of us stay if we want to listen to the class or do work. I do both.

My teacher spent 20 minutes discussing my paper with me. My comparing and contrasting is solid. She showed me my mistakes in the inductory paragraph, and showed me what to write to be more descriptive and in depth. She also showed me how to do the works cited page. I made the corrections she showed me; my teacher said that now my paper would be worth a good grade.

You're right about the ad assignment. I had to do exactly as you described, and it was easier than I thought it would be. I was able write almost 3 full pages. Up next is describing the Pathos, Logos, and ethos of the ad.
    -Kim-

My mom and I are currently without a usable bathtub/shower. Our tub has been in bad shape for a long while. It's a plastic tub, and it's got so many cracks in it. Two new cracks formed yesterday, which makes it unsafe to use. We've repaired it many times, but this time, it's not repairable. I'm not sure what we're going to do because a new tub isn't cheap. For now, it's sink baths and getting an occasional shower at my uncle's. This would have to happen in during the hottest days of summer.
    -Kim-

Stuck on the Border Annoying Twit's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AlreadyGone95 View Post
    My mom and I are currently without a usable bathtub/shower. Our tub has been in bad shape for a long while. It's a plastic tub, and it's got so many cracks in it. Two new cracks formed yesterday, which makes it unsafe to use. We've repaired it many times, but this time, it's not repairable. I'm not sure what we're going to do because a new tub isn't cheap. For now, it's sink baths and getting an occasional shower at my uncle's. This would have to happen in during the hottest days of summer.
    Do you not have a nearby lake or river?

My heart goes out to you Kim. I did a bathroom 7 years ago & was without a functional bathroom for 3 weeks. Thank goodness I had a pool but I used a hose to shower & do my hair. How is the gluten free diet working?

Me...I am deciding whether I want to go visit a friend in the hospital. She's in her late 70's & really sick. The thing is I am not 100% sure she is still in the local hospital or if she was transferred to one that is 60 miles away. When I spoke to her yesterday she could hardly talk & did not want me coming up because she wanted to rest. If I wait until tomorrow afternoon, if she was transferred, I can make the trip down there. 60 miles isn't happening today plus I need some things for my pool so it's 1 trip not 2. I am trying to adjust to a new medication so right now my body is rebelling. Yesterday was the 1st I was able to eat in a week.

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

AG, so sorry about your bathroom, that's awful for you.

jms, prayers for your friend and you, too!

I went to visit my Mom Sunday afternoon at her new assisted living place. It's a very nice place and they have lots of activities, but it's about 60 miles round trip and out of my normal travel. My sister decided to move her there because she (mom) was so bored at the place she was and they didn't keep her room overly clean. It's fine with me, but I won't be able to stop in and see her nearly as often. I just hope she will get out of her room and participate. My aunt (mom's sister) who is 92 and still living in her home (and quite active) went along and we had a nice visit.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Stuck on the Border Annoying Twit's Avatar

AG95: sorry is my joke was a bit flippant, I didn't mean to make too light of your predicament.

I did find this IMHO lovely photo however when I googled what I said.