Page 130 of 136 FirstFirst ... 3080120126127128129130131132133134 ... LastLast
Results 1,291 to 1,300 of 1351

Thread: Sporting Sensations

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Sporting Sensations

You could try watching the game on your phone through the concert. Maybe Don will give updates.

I'm looking forward to this evening's match between Wales and Northern Ireland.

Stuck on the Border Jonny Come Lately's Avatar
    Watching the hazy sun sinking in the sea in England

Thanks for the suggestion - to be honest I'm not really that worried, I'll still enjoy the match if I record it and watch it tomorrow (okay... maybe not if Iceland win - but the 'post-mortem' will be worth watching in that case!) when I'll have plenty of time to get around to watching the game, today it's all about Don for me!

Watching Wales play Northern Ireland in an international tournament was kind of strange, it felt a bit like watching a football league match at times! Well done to the Welsh (although Belgium are certainly formidable opponents in the next round if they click as they did against Hungary last night) and commiserations to the Irish all around, as the Republic put up a good fight against hosts France to lose 2-1 despite having one of their defenders sent off.

Border Troubadour

I bet you're glad you went to see Don after THAT result! !!
    ...Well it sure makes you wonder the things that some people will say. They can see black and white but they don't seem to notice the grey...

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by DivineDon View Post
    My husband was not impressed.

CONGRATULATIONS ICELAND!!!!

Stuck on the Border Jonny Come Lately's Avatar
    Watching the hazy sun sinking in the sea in England

Quote Originally Posted by DivineDon View Post
    So true! Apart from having a fantastic night, I even managed to avoid finding the result out until I watched the game yesterday. After I saw it... well, we were absolute rubbish, no arguing with that. Basic mistake for the first goal shortly after taking the lead (!) and an error from goalkeeper Hart for the second. The players looked in a state of shock after that and rarely did it ever seem like they would get an equaliser. In short, it was the most humiliating England result in my parents' lifetimes, let alone my own! Well done to Iceland though. With no offence intended to Iceland their players come from a country that does not have a full-time league compared to our self-proclaimed 'best league in the world' that virtually our entire squad plays in. Ireland lost to France, but at least they played well and were kind of unlucky, and Northern Ireland did well to get out of a tricky group, and many of their players ply their trade in the lower divisions.

I think one of the main problems throughout the tournament for England was that the players and systems were being chopped and changed too much (in some cases I suspect bowing to media pressure), leaving the team disjointed and weaker than the sum of its part, but that is no excuse for such a terrible display. I must admit I probably should have seen this coming - I remember Roy Hodgson's short (and disastrous) reign as Liverpool boss too well. After a very poor start there was a slight upturn and there was some hope a corner might have been turned, but there was one game in the winter of 2010/11 that put paid to his time at the club. We were at home to Wolverhampton Wanderers, a mediocre and relegation-threatened team with a terrible away record. Had we played remotely decently we would have won, but we performed abysmally and lost 1-0, then a couple of weeks later he was sacked.

Stuck on the Border

I confess, I fell asleep during the Englan-Iceland game. I saw the goals and got the idea that England were going to struggle to get back and then I became oblivious.

The Iceland story is interesting. The key seems to be that they invested money in facilities and coaching for the whole population rather than flashy stadiums.
    Bolstered by the TV money pouring into every Uefa country, Iceland set up an open, hugely popular training scheme. Currently this nation of 335,000 has around 600 qualified coaches, 400 with Uefa B licences, or one per 825 people. To put this into context, in England this number falls to one per 11,000.

https://www.theguardian.com/football...lars-lagerback

Stuck on the Border Annoying Twit's Avatar

COME ON SERENA!!!!

Stuck on the Border

That was fun. Wales 3 Belgium 1. Good match. Good goals. Hard to believe.

Stuck on the Border

CONGRATULATIONS WALES!

Kevin Durant is going to sign with the Golden State Warriors! NBA Free Agency has been interesting. Kevin Durant instead of Harrison Barnes, yes, we'll take that. Barnes was 3 for 27 at one point in the 2016 NBA Finals, and he's just inconsistent. Sad that they had to trade Bogut but he gets hurt often. I'm sorry about Ezeli too, but he's not as good as Bogut. Can't wait for the small ball lineup of Steph, Klay, Iguodala, Durant, and Draymond.