Page 57 of 68 FirstFirst ... 74753545556575859606167 ... LastLast

Thread: The Border Book Club

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

Default Re: The Border Book Club

I'm reading Swine Not? A Pig's Tale by Jimmy Buffet. I need something lighthearted to read for a change. It provides a stark contrast to my serious school work.
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time

Out on the Border Jeremy Lawrence's Avatar

I've written this;
    https://www.amazon.com/Already-Gone-.../dp/B01G4ILO3I

and starting book 2 of the series. Really interested in The Border members thouights on it.

Thanks,
    Jeremy Lawrence
    Author - Already Gone: a Novel
    https://www.amazon.com/Already-Gone-.../dp/B01G4ILO3I
    https://www.facebook.com/alreadygonenovel/

*** Special thanks to The Borders own "Ive always been a dreamer" for being a beta reader and providing great feedback and enthusiasm about the book. ***
    Jeremy Lawrence - Author
    "Already Gone: a Novel"
    http://smarturl.it/ey9snd
    https://www.facebook.com/alreadygonenovel/

Stuck on the Border buffyfan145's Avatar

Just finished a fantastic novel by Miranda Beverly-Whittemore called "June" and I loved it so much!!! It tells the story of a young woman in Ohio Cassie and her getting unexpected news that a classic Hollywood actor Jack Montgomery named her as his granddaughter in his will and left everything to her. It's a huge shock to Cassie as her late grandmother June apparently was involved with Jack and Cassie's father was his son, and June never told anyone including her husband or Cassie's now dead father. That's just the beginning as we start to find out all these twists with the characters as Cassie meets Jack's famous daughters and starts to uncover all the secrets of her true grandparents and all the people in the fictional Ohio town St. Jude. Half the story takes place in June of 2015 with Cassie finding all this out and falling for her new aunt's assistant Nick, while the other half is flashbacks to June of 1955 when Jack and his movie came to film in St. Jude and the whirlwind romance of Jack & June that summer. I loved this novel and I've read another of Miranda's books but this one is my favorite now. I love Classic Hollywood and getting the flashbacks in this and was so awesome to see two chapters actually set in my city Columbus and at places I've actually been to. I've never really read too many books that take place in Ohio so that was fun. Just such a great twist filled book and one of my new favorites this year.
    ~*Amanda*~
    "So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key."

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Buffy, that does sound intriguing. I may check that out. The contrast between old Hollywood and present day reminds me a bit of one of my favorite guilty pleasures, a novel from the late '70s by Trevor Meldal Johnsen called "Always". In that book, a screenwriter in Los Angeles starts having flashbacks of a past life in which he was involved with a tragic young actress. The book has kind of a cult following.

I'm wondering if anyone has read the Stephen King book The Stand?...a friend of mine wanted me to read it because she said it's one of her favorite books...so she lent it to me...it's over 1100 pages..and now she tells me it's about 90% of the world's population getting offed by some virus...omg...don't know if I want to do this or not...doesn't sound like something I would like...any opinions of it out there?

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by zeldabjr View Post
    I'm wondering if anyone has read the Stephen King book The Stand?...a friend of mine wanted me to read it because she said it's one of her favorite books...so she lent it to me...it's over 1100 pages..and now she tells me it's about 90% of the world's population getting offed by some virus...omg...don't know if I want to do this or not...doesn't sound like something I would like...any opinions of it out there?
    I haven't read it but I can tell you that it inspired Glenn's song Brave New World.

Stuck on the Border buffyfan145's Avatar

I've never read "The Stand" but it's because we watched some of the TV miniseries in my high school science class when we were studying viruses and it scared me so bad. LOL I have really bad OCD and viruses and germs are a part of it so that's one I for sure will stay away from. However, I do like other Stephen King books/movies/shows but more that are in the science fiction genre like "Under the Dome" or "11/22/63" or like "Stand by Me", and not horror. I also want to check out his "Mr. Mercedes" series as it's his first detective/mystery novels.
    ~*Amanda*~
    "So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key."

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    I haven't read it but I can tell you that it inspired Glenn's song Brave New World.
    wow..really? so I guess Glenn must have read it huh?

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by zeldabjr View Post
    wow..really? so I guess Glenn must have read it huh?
    Well, yes, I must assume as much.

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

That's so cool that Glenn was inspired by The Stand, did not know that. The original 1978 edition - it can be hard to find - is a great, powerful book. Terribly exciting and instantly involving. You must read it.

However, for reasons known only to himself, Stephen King re-wrote the book some 10+ years later, "updating" the events and such. It just didn't feel the same to me. You get some glaring anachronisms like a young woman's apartment in the 1990s having a poster of the movie "Love Story" - dumb stuff like that which pulls you out of the dark spell the original book had.