Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Hair Help!

Default Re: Hair Help!

The worst cut I ever had was by a friend of my mother's in Saudi Arabia. I was 12 and wanted a haircut like Jennifer Grey in Dirty Dancing. I didn't want to go to an Arab stylist who would have no idea what I was talking about since the movie was banned in that country. Instead, I used Mom's friend (another American "Mobil wife") who told me she knew just what I wanted because she had seen the movie, too. Plus, she assured me, she cut her two sons' hair all the time. Well, I guess cutting the hair of a 6-year-old boy takes less finesse than that of a 12-year-old girl. She did a botch job. My hair wound up looking like Alice's from the Dilbert cartoon strip. After that scarring experience, I never had my hair cut that short again!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Well that's understandable! (Not wanting it cut that short again).

Hmm, so we have: fine hair, natural curl, takes a long time to grow, and you need something easy to maintain because you don't have time to foof around every morning...

(I'm stumped because I have very thick hair that's pretty much straight, the total opposite of yours LOL.)

Can you play around with it to get an idea of what it would look like shorter - either by clipping it up or on some "insert your photo into this hairstyle" type of thing? If it grows slowly I can understand your reluctance to do anything too significant.
    ---------------------------------
    Suzanne

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Well Soda, as you might expect, I'm rather fond of hair like yours. Probably because I have hair like yours.

It's funny, but just a few weeks ago, when I was having mine done, I told my niece who is also my hairdresser, that I wanted to let mine get longer to loosen up the curl a bit more. She says she's going to let my layers grow out and see if that's what I'm wanting. I actually am like a lot of people who have naturally curly hair, I crave for straight hair but it is much to time consuming and high maintenance. The only time it gets straightened is when I have it cut because Tricia razor cuts it straight. It last about 2 days and as soon as I wash it, right back to curly.

TK---you've peeked my curiosity with this Japanese hair straightening. I will be looking into it. Does it damage the hair much? I know there are straightening perms but they do damage the hair so I've always avoided it. Does the hair grow in straight also or does it stay curly coming in?

I usually don't do this, but I thought I would for this thread and since any of you that are FB friends have seen these anyways, I thought I'd go ahead and post a couple pics of my hair curly and straight. I want you to see what layers can do. I am very layered so that it does give it more definition in the curl.

And after it had been straightened a day before. You can see that it's already starting to wave some again.

He sings it high, he plays it low

TK---you've peeked my curiosity with this Japanese hair straightening. I will be looking into it. Does it damage the hair much? I know there are straightening perms but they do damage the hair so I've always avoided it. Does the hair grow in straight also or does it stay curly coming in?
    TimothyBFan: To answer your questions; No I don't feel that my hair is damaged from the process. In fact, it feels very soft & silky.
    It does not grow in straight. The new hair will grow in as your hair normally does. (This means once it starts to grow in, you have to use a flat iron a little on the new hair) The problem is that your hair will have NO body, like Cher hair in the 60's. It is also flat. It won't be like the picture you posted with your hair blown out.

I will try to post some pics of my hair, so you can see.

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Please do because I'm really curious. How often do you have to have it done and is it really expensive?
    He sings it high, he plays it low

I couldn't post a picture in here. I sent you a PM, TimothyBFan!

If you don't mind, I'd love to see it too!

Willie - I want my hair to look like yours - the curly version, that is. While the straight version has a sleeker look, I think the curly version has more personality. JMHO.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    I'd like to get my hair looking like it did in 2001 (in this photo, I'm wearing a headband):

That's what I was going for by growing my hair out again, but it doesn't seem to be happening, even though I'm not doing anything differently (I didn't use any product then, either). I know one can't turn back time, but it was only 10 years ago! Still, I'm opening to cutting it or at least doing layers.

I didn't wear bangs then, but I need bangs now to hide the scar on my forehead I got in 2006.
    This is my favorite look for you Soda! Beautiful! I love long hair (surprised? )and I think yours looks fantastic there! Long hair is so versatile.

I think you maybe just need a few long chunky layers and probably some mousse for frizz. Do you like to put it all back in a ponytail or bun? If so, don't get any layers short enough that you can't get them pulled back into a ponytail. What is easier than long hair unless it is a pixie cut and those don't look great on everyone. I think you'd have to be a very tiny, fine-boned person to wear that.

I'm so jealous of anyone with long hair, curly or straight. Mine is mid neck length, fine, thin and stick straight and the older I get the thinner it gets. It was nice and thick when I was younger. I've been trying to grow it to just below shoulder length forever. Of course, I tend to cut it one month and then decide to grow out the next! Every time I get layers I wish I hadn't.

Willie, yours looks great curly and straight! Love it!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Stuck on the Border Henley Honey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brooke View Post
    I'm so jealous of anyone with long hair, curly or straight. Mine is mid neck length, fine, thin and stick straight and the older I get the thinner it gets. It was nice and thick when I was younger. I've been trying to grow it to just below shoulder length forever. Of course, I tend to cut it one month and then decide to grow out the next! Every time I get layers I wish I hadn't.

Willie, yours looks great curly and straight! Love it!

Next time you go in for a check up, have the doctor check your iron levels. A simple supplement could do the trick and help thicken you hair back to "younger days". But I don't recommend taking it unless you have your levels checked first!

Isn't it funny how we all wish for different hair? Mine is pin straight and won't take a curl for anything. Maybe on a very humid day, I'll get a slight wave. Oh well. There's way worse things in life!

Taking an iron supplement can be very dangerous if you don't really need it, so don't just take one.. Other vitamins may help too. I think as you get older your hair just gets thinner, also if you dye it that also may make it thinner.