Page 2 of 32 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Eagles Song Survivor: The Long Run

On my leatherette looking through pictures...

Default Re: "The Long Run" Survivor Game

There are a couple of songs by the band that I find laugh out loud terrible("Nightingale" and "Love Will Keep Us Alive") and also a couple for which I simply do not care(studio version of "Saturday Night" and "Get Over it").

"Teenage Jail," however, is the one Eagles song I completely and unreservedly detest. I wholeheartedly vote it off the island.

And now for my defence of 'Disco Strangler': Think of it more as a Henley solo song, as opposed to an Eagles song. At that point, the song might not suffer as much from inflated expectations that come with the listening of an 'Eagles' song. Short, simple, and skeweringly to the point--Very much in the same vein as the Punk bands of that era(Captain Sensible, Clash, Ramones, Sex Pistols, etc) Lyrics aptly sum up the darkest aspects of the dance/party scene in the city. The guitars perfectly compliment those lacerating lyrics(outside the chorus, the chord for the song is one finger on one higher-pitched string towards the top of the guitar neck) Probably one of the truly unsung greats by America's best, and very much in need of a re-appraisal.
    All carrot, no stick.

"He's just another power junkie, just another silk scarf monkey. You'd know it if you saw his stuff. The man just isn't big enough."--Glenn Frey/Don Henley

"You think you know me, but you haven't got a clue."--John Lennon/Paul McCartney

I like all of those you list WS82 except Saturday Night. Especially GOI.

Now here's my words of support for Teenage Jail. I think the riff and the "whacked out" solo by Felder are very dark and haunting and I actually like the song. I think it and Greeks are above Disco Strangler by quite a bit.

I had a guy tell me it was his favorite Eagles song.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Border Troubadour

I too love Felder's solo in Teenage Jail.

Quote Originally Posted by thelastresort View Post
    I too love Felder's solo in Teenage Jail.
    He himself (per his book), hates it because it wasn't well rehearsed and he was chemically enhanced. Me, I love it. It's totally scatterbrained much like the Stones' Sympathy For The Devil and I love that.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

As an Eagles song or a Henley solo song, I detest DS. Sorry WS82C, I couldn't use the word "perfect" in any way to describe this song. It is the only Eagles song that I hate. As I have said before, to me most of it sounds like there are two different songs that don't compliment each other being played at the same time.

Therefore I vote Disco Strangler.

Since the likelihood of The Disco Strangler, Teenage Jail, and 'Greeks' being eliminated in these first three rounds is fairly high, I'm going to cast a strategic vote in the event of a tie in a future round. Personally, I would've voted The Disco Strangler first because Henley sounds annoying when he says, "Look at me, baby, look at me. I'm beautiful, I'm beautiful, I'm somebody." I know it's supposed to be annoying on purpose, but I can't get past that. I don't mind the drums on it, but in the end, no.

However, my vote goes to "Those Shoes" for strategic purposes, not quality of song during this round.

On a brief side note, I wish that the Eagles would release deluxe versions of their albums, like how Fleetwood Mac's been doing lately. I would love to hear early versions of these songs, especially "King of Hollywood." Sorry for this off-topic comment. If it's better to put it under the 'Celebration' thread, let me know and I'll say it there and edit this part out.

Looks like Disco Stranger is going to be the first to leave the island. Wow, no love for this one is there? I'm going with the majority here, Disco Strangler.
    I possess the silver bullets to slay the demons from my past. How do I know? Because I survived them-and I am already stronger than I believe.

Stuck on the Border Annoying Twit's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rcknalwys View Post
    Looks like Disco Stranger is going to be the first to leave the island. Wow, no love for this one is there? I'm going with the majority here, Disco Strangler.
    For me, the shock would be if TDS didn't leave the island.

Stuck on the Border Jonny Come Lately's Avatar
    Watching the hazy sun sinking in the sea in England

Quote Originally Posted by WalshFan88 View Post
    Now here's my words of support for Teenage Jail. I think the riff and the "whacked out" solo by Felder are very dark and haunting and I actually like the song. I think it and Greeks are above Disco Strangler by quite a bit.

I had a guy tell me it was his favorite Eagles song.
    I agree with this - Teenage Jail is my favourite of the three oft-maligned songs from this album. I'm another one who loves Don F's solo, especially the blast of darkness that starts about 20 seconds before the end of the song, and I also like Glenn's zany synth solo. I have quite a dry and dark sense of humour so it also appeals to me in that sense! I also remember someone doing a blog with their top ten songs where TJ was ranked something like 7th or 8th. I wouldn't go that far, but I do like it a lot.

I'll join everyone else who's voted for The Disco Strangler. To be honest, I don't dislike the song - I personally find a song like The Ledge by Fleetwood Mac to be a lot more annoying than TDS. I also think WS82 makes some very good points in its defence. The directness of the song is appropriate given its subject matter and even the way Don sings the 'look at me baby' line (probably the most annoying vocal part he's ever done IMO) can be justified as we aren't meant to like the woman in the song. I've also grown to quite like the riff. However, it's not a song I tend to play if I'm not listening to the full album. The rhythm section sounds 'wonky' (it feels like Don and Tim are playing two different songs in places) and apart from the 'Rome is burning' line I don't think the lyrics are that great.

So, my first vote goes to The Disco Strangler.

Border Troubadour

I like The Disco Strangler - it's catchy so I vote for Teenage Jail
    ...Well it sure makes you wonder the things that some people will say. They can see black and white but they don't seem to notice the grey...