View Poll Results: Which was the first Eagles album you heard?

Voters
48. You may not vote on this poll
  • Eagles (self-titled)

12 25.00%
  • Desperado

1 2.08%
  • On The Border

1 2.08%
  • One Of These Nights

0 0%
  • Hotel California

11 22.92%
  • The Long Run

1 2.08%
  • Long Road Out Of Eden

0 0%
  • A live album (Eagles Live or Hell Freezes Over)

4 8.33%
  • Greatest Hits 1971-75 (Vol 1)

13 27.08%
  • Other compilation album

5 10.42%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Which was your first Eagles album?

Stuck on the Border Jonny Come Lately's Avatar
    Watching the hazy sun sinking in the sea in England

Default Re: Which was your first Eagles album?

Quote Originally Posted by thelastresort View Post
    How on earth could you tell that by listening to One of These Nights?

*Takes cover*
    It's easy when you have mystical powers which are activated once you have listened to two albums by a band and enable you to determine whether their other albums are good or not without actually having to listen to them first.

In all seriousness, I do like One Of These Nights quite a lot myself. It isn't perfect and it definitely wouldn't rank higher than fourth in my list now but I really enjoyed it when I first uploaded the CD into my iTunes library. If I had to pick one favourite it would be the title track - to my mind it's a great fusion of softer and harder rock elements (these being the harmonies and the guitar respectively), I do love the other two singles and ATTIG as well though. I like Too Many Hands a lot and I am also, somewhat unusually, a fan of Journey of the Sorcerer - I find it to be an interesting and worthy experiment, and it has a great, unique cosmic bluegrass feel to it. Hollywood Waltz is decent too, but admittedly the other two songs are not great and far off the quality of the best tracks on the album.

MaryCalifornia, your experience is vaguely similar to mine in that you were first exposed to the Eagles on cassette at that sort of age. My parents started playing 'grown up' music in the car with us (me and my sister) when I was about 7-8 too and Rumours was one of the first albums I ever heard. The difference is that my first Eagles-related album was actually Don's End Of The Innocence (for what it's worth, the other main albums I remember them playing regularly were James Taylor's Greatest Hits and Jackson Browne's I'm Alive). It wasn't until a decade or so after this that I got into the Eagles and for many years I had no idea that Henley had been in the Eagles prior to his solo career.

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

I have older siblings, so One of These Nights and Hotel California were communal property around the house. The first Eagles album I bought for myself was Greatest Hits.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Well I'm another 'oldie' so my first album was also 'Eagles'. I bought all of the albums back in the day shortly after they were released. When I began replacing my collection, 'The Very Best of the Eagles' was the first CD I bought. Not too much later, I bought the box set of CDs that included all the albums. I now have their entire catalog on CD and/or DVD.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

I only had 45s of Eagles songs up until The Long Run...when I heard I Can't Tell You Why...I had to get the album!...

Growing up with an older sister and brother who were both Eagles fans, I heard a lot of their music, but mostly what I heard on the radio. Probably the first album I heard in it's entirety would be Hotel California. The first one I bought for myself was The Long Run (Columbia Record House - 12 albums for a penny - LOL!) Then the Greatest Hits, and since then I went back and bought the others over time to complete the collection. I also love Common Thread - not the Eagles per se, but full of their songs with some of my favorite singers. And it lead to them reuniting, due to the Travis Tritt video.

Border Troubadour

Quote Originally Posted by Lacken101 View Post
    My first albums were the 'The Very Best of the Eagles' compilation from 1985, then the 'Very Best of' from 2003....

lol. I'm the exact same. I nearly wore out the cassette tape of their 1985 Very Best album and then later bought the 2003 CD.

BTW love your 'fluffy Don' avatar, Lacken
    ...Well it sure makes you wonder the things that some people will say. They can see black and white but they don't seem to notice the grey...

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

I must admit I was later to actually buying Eagles albums (although I would have taped many songs directly off radio through the 80's). I had a cassette called 'The Heat is On' - no prizes for guessing the first track on that, and TITTL was on it as well. My first was the 2003 'Very Best Of' double Cd and it was followed very quickly by HFO. The other Cds followed suit so that by the time LROOE was released I had a complete collection
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Eagles was the first album I bought 1972.
    I've raised my children so they know all the music I listened to. Be it the Eagles, Fleetwood Mac or Hank Williams. I did this mainly because that is real music to me.

So Put Me On A Highway And Show Me A Sign
    And Take It To The Limit One More Time..............

Old thread but I'll weigh in here. I joined the Columbia Record Club I guess around 1981-82 and I distinctly remember trying to decide between Greatest Hits Vol. 1 and Vol. 2--"Life in the Fast Lane" and "I Can't Tell You Why" gave Vol. 2 a slight edge so I got that one. Those songs were more recent at the time so that probably influenced my decision. I still have the cassette.

Out on the Border

Their first album "Eagles" in '72. It's true what the doc said that when you opened it their picture was upside down. I also remember the sleeve the record came in which was a huge picture of a very red cactus-like flower. I've been in love with them since.