Page 11 of 140 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314152161111 ... LastLast

Thread: What's Happening In Your Life?

Stuck on the Border Annoying Twit's Avatar

Default Re: What's Happening In Your Life?

Quote Originally Posted by LuvTim View Post
    Brilliant. I would be interested if you cared to post a photo of your new wheels.
    Sorry, this took a while.

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

How long is your commute, Mr. T.?

Quote Originally Posted by NightMistBlue View Post
    How long is your commute, Mr. T.?
    My daily commute is about ... checks google maps ... about two miles. I don't use that bike for my daily commute. I use an older and cheaper single speed bike.

I do like long distance rides. E.g. some time ago I rode from Gloucester to Leicester, a distance of about 90 miles. Still looking to break my own record and do 100 in a day.

A quick HI wave at everyone. Fall has hit Pennsylvania, it's cold & rainy. A week ago I was still doing PT in the pool, now I have to set-up arrangements to get back into doing it in office again.

Football has started..yea, my Dodgers won the NL West for the 4th straight year & DUKE basketball season starts tomorrow.

What about the fall colors? Any sign of the trees changing yet? I miss autumn, it's such a beautiful (if brief) season.

Everyone said that the Patriots would never do well without Brady.

3 and 0 we can have a bunch of turkeys playing and we will still win woooh.

I am mixing a cover of a song called Better by Guns N Roses. It's off of Chinese Democracy but it is a current staple of the Not In This Lifetime tour which is 21st century's Hell Freezes Over Tour.

Here is the studio version of the song
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehMPmKHO6Vg

Here is the version played with Slash and Duff
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbalXes4RZM

Quote Originally Posted by Annoying Twit View Post
    My daily commute is about ... checks google maps ... about two miles. I don't use that bike for my daily commute. I use an older and cheaper single speed bike.

I do like long distance rides. E.g. some time ago I rode from Gloucester to Leicester, a distance of about 90 miles. Still looking to break my own record and do 100 in a day.

100 miles in one day is quite a lot, even on a nice new bike such as yours!!

I have a friend who rides for miles and miles on her bike. She and her husband ride together in an event called Biking Across Kansas. I'd wager that's over 400 miles, but, of course, they don't ride that far in one day!

It's all in your smile that brings
    All of the special things about you

Quote Originally Posted by LuvTim View Post
    100 miles in one day is quite a lot, even on a nice new bike such as yours!!

I have a friend who rides for miles and miles on her bike. She and her husband ride together in an event called Biking Across Kansas. I'd wager that's over 400 miles, but, of course, they don't ride that far in one day!
    I'd like to do long rides like that some day. My partner Carolyn likes riding her bike, but doesn't go long distance. She likes the stars (BSc Astronomy), and I'm suggesting that we ride out into the countryside in the dead of night, but it hasn't happened yet.

I do the long distances rides simply by riding at a slow pace, but just keeping going. I see people on 'carbon fibre wonders' whizzing past me at high speed, but I just ignore them and keep going.

One of my brothers has done the New York to Boston bike ride twice for charity. I don't know how people survive that.

Quote Originally Posted by NightMistBlue View Post
    One of my brothers has done the New York to Boston bike ride twice for charity. I don't know how people survive that.
    Cycling itself is easy. Cycling for a long time is simply a matter of getting used to just keeping going. Part of that is getting fluids and suitable calories down your gullet, which is harder than it sounds. I've found a brand of coconut milk smoothie which is high calorie and easy to swallow even when I'm very tired - useful. I'm hoping to break 200km at some point, but I haven't this year and the weather may be against me.

Boston to New York is 200 miles - so 320km. Well beyond what I've done so far, but they longer you ride the longer you can ride. The human body is very adaptable and can get used to an awful lot. I'm thinking that 300km in a day is probably the most I can manage without getting significantly faster. Otherwise, I run out of hours in the day. For my 200km ride, I'm planning to start at 3am to give me plenty of time. I have good lights