Page 1 of 35 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: The Very Best of Don Henley Survivor

Default The Very Best of Don Henley Survivor

Time for The Very Best of Don Henley Survivor, where we vote off Don’s songs from The Very Best of Don Henley until we get to the last one standing!

If you're new, for a basic overview of the game, see this post: Survivor Overview

I'm going to list the songs from The Very Best of Don Henley here. Vote for the song that you feel should be eliminated from the list. The song that gets the most votes will be taken off of the list (or, in the language of Survivor, "Voted off of the island.") Each round, one more song will get axed, until there's only one left. Remember: you're voting for the song you want taken off, not the song you want to stay.

Note: Do not criticize how/why other people vote. Their reasons are their own and they are free to vote however they like. Also, never attack a fellow poster. You can disagree about a certain song without making it personal. Sometimes these games can get heated, but remember.. it's still just a game.

Each round will last 48 hours after posting to give people a chance to vote who don't post every day. That means that the first round will be over at 8:00 Eastern time the day after tomorrow. Any votes cast on or after 8:00 Eastern the second day will not be counted. If you're going to wait 'til the last minute, be sure you leave yourself enough time to hit "submit"!

If you miss a round, don't think you can't play. It's all good!

Since there may be discussion posts, be sure to make it clear when you are casting your vote. Votes cannot be changed once you have voted, even if you make a mistake - so be sure you get it right the first time!

If you get confused about what round we are in, look at this post. I'll always update it to reflect the current round. Also feel free to post any questions if you don't understand what's going on.

If there is a tiebreaker, then ALL votes from ALL previous rounds are tallied and whoever has the most prior votes is eliminated. That’s the way it’s done on the real show, that’s the way it’s done here. If there is a complete tie with prior votes (Murphy’s Law), then I'll have a sudden-death trivia question ready. The first person who answers it correctly gets to break the tie. The odds of that happening are slim, but you never know, and it's good to be prepared.

The tie-breaker question will be asked one hour after results are in, if there is need for it. The exception is the last round. If the tie-breaker does not resolve the last round, then the tie will be allowed to stand.

============================

GAME OVER!

Songs eliminated:
    Everybody Knows 4/07
    Everything is Different Now 4/09
    For My Wedding 4/11
    Sunset Grill 4/13
    Not Enough Love in the World 4/15
    Taking You Home 4/17
    I Will Not Go Quietly 4/19
    New York Minute 4/21
    All She Wants to Do Is Dance 4/23
    Dirty Laundry 4/25
    The Last Worthless Evening 4/27
    The End of the Innocence 4/29
    The Boys of Summer 5/01

Congratulations to the winner of our game ...

The Heart of the Matter!!!

Thanks for playing everyone.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Default Re: The Very Best of Don Henley Survivor

I like all the songs... but we gotta start somewhere!

I cast my vote for "Everybody Knows."

Don didn't write it and it's a bit repetitive. However, I have to admit, I laugh every time I hear him sing, "There were so many people you just had to meet... without your clothes." LOL!

Stuck on the Border

In my opinion both Leonard Cohen, the writer of Everybody Knows, and Don are capable of much better than the jaded cynicism of this song. I am more familiar with Cohen's version; I heard it recently and I found it boring & predictable. This is the man who wrote Hallelujah, The Future, Democracy (which Don has also sung), First We Take Manhattan, etc. I don't think Don's version of Everybody Knows improves on Cohen's version & so I vote for Everybody Knows.

I'll vote for "Everybody Knows" as well. It really doesn't do anything for me.

I cast my vote for Everybody Knows!
    "For the record, we never broke up, we just took a 14-year vacation!"
    (Glenn Frey)

I vote for Everybody Knows

Open up your eyes take the devil from your mind

Well I'm coming to the defence of Everybody Knows.

I'm fairly new to the song - I only got my copy of VeryBestofDH quite late last year - so I haven't "overlistened" to it yet. The lyrics - while certainly not Cohen's best - still have relevance. I love Don's vocal, and think it's expressive of the song. His version is, IMHO, a vast improvement on Cohen's (I'm sorry, the man is a great songwriter but not the best vocalist). The song is one I turn up and sing along to at the top of my voice while I'm driving home. I enjoy it very much.

That said - yes, it is repetitive, and is one of two songs that I think DON'T belong on a limited list of "the very best" of Don's work (more about that when I vote for the next song I want to see head off!).
    ---------------------------------
    Suzanne

I vote for 'I will not go quietly'.

Quote Originally Posted by EaglesKiwi View Post
    Well I'm coming to the defence of Everybody Knows.

I'm fairly new to the song - I only got my copy of VeryBestofDH quite late last year - so I haven't "overlistened" to it yet. The lyrics - while certainly not Cohen's best - still have relevance. I love Don's vocal, and think it's expressive of the song. His version is, IMHO, a vast improvement on Cohen's (I'm sorry, the man is a great songwriter but not the best vocalist). The song is one I turn up and sing along to at the top of my voice while I'm driving home. I enjoy it very much.

That said - yes, it is repetitive, and is one of two songs that I think DON'T belong on a limited list of "the very best" of Don's work (more about that when I vote for the next song I want to see head off!).
    Oh, it's not that I think it's bad - it's just inferior to the other songs, IMHO.

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

I'm going to vote for my least favorite song in the bunch, Everything Is Different Now. The beginning especially is just so gloomy and dark sounding, that I just don't like it. I will be very, very happy to see it go!

As for EK, I've always like it well enough, although not a favorite.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten