Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Celebration of "No Fun Aloud"

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Default Re: Happy Birthday "No Fun Aloud"!

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    I always thought that it was interesting that during the F1 tour You Belong To The City was invariably described as 'dated' while Boys Of Summer and Dirty Laundry were not. We know which song was dropped.
    This post confused me FP. Who was it that "invariably described" YBTTC as dated? It sounds to me as if you think that the reason that the song was dropped is because it is dated. Sorry, but I just don't buy that. I believe it was dropped for totally different reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by chaim View Post
    It's funny, because to me "Boys of summer" is as "80's" as "You belong to the city", but the difference is that BoS was more popular from the start. Both are great songs. Seems to me that BoS has escaped the "dated" label because people think it's a great song, not because it doesn't sound like an 80's track.
    chaim, I agree that both songs have the 80's sound, but YBTTC was actually a bigger hit than BOS when they were released - YBTTC hit #2 whereas BOS topped out at #5 I believe. Again, I'm not sure where the notion comes from that one song is more dated than the other.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

A good song is a good song. Period. That's why there are so many classic rock radio stations!
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Quote Originally Posted by chaim View Post
    I find it interesting that both BOS and YBTTC have the same three-note hook that was very common in the eighties. If the song is in E minor (like these two songs are), the notes are g, f sharp, d. "Powers that be" by Roger Waters has this, even in the same rhythm as BOS. For those who don't know about musical notes, I mean the "you belong to the city"-melody, which has the same three notes as the "Boys of summer" instrumental hook. Somehow those three notes together, with the minor chord in the background, sum up the eigthies.

I had never noticed that. Fascinating!

As far as YBTTC being dropped, I'm betting it was because it was hard for Glenn to consistently hit the high notes without using jarring falsetto.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    chaim, I agree that both songs have the 80's sound, but YBTTC was actually a bigger hit than BOS when they were released - YBTTC hit #2 whereas BOS topped out at #5 I believe. Again, I'm not sure where the notion comes from that one song is more dated than the other.
    I stand corrected, thanks. I'd never heard anyone say that YBTTC was dated either. I'm just trusting Freypower on this.

Stuck on the Border

A lot of reviews for the F1 tour made a point of saying that YBTTC was 'cheesy 80s soundtrack material' and hence 'dated'. I remember what they said.

He has since proven that he can sing it in his normal voice, however, which is how he should have done it on that tour. I still love the song, regardless of what the critics said about it.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Well, FP, while I'm sure you're right about some critics making those comments about YBTTC during the Farewell I tour. However, I'm just saying that I was around and following the band very closely at that time, and I don't recall there being any widespread conscensus among either critics or fans that pronounced the song to be more dated than The Boys of Summer or Dirty Laundry.

I can say from personal experience from the Farewell I shows I attended where the song was played that, without exception, YBTTC was one of the best received songs in the set list by the fans. As for critics, what do they know!

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Default Re: Celebration of "No Fun Aloud"

I didn't get a chance to post yesterday obviously, but happy belated birthday to No Fun Aloud which was released on May 28, 1982.

To celebrate, check these out!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmV9vk2950o[/ame][ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQm-9g8hiHc"][/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e37DBJ2SBYw[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_TI2-fAPf4[/ame]

I Found Somebody
    http://www.glennfreyonline.com/multi...ndsomebody.wmv

And some live stuff:

All Those Lies (Live Irvine 1982)

Don't Give Up (Live Irvine 1982)

I've Been Born Again (Live Del Mar Fair 1985)

She Can't let Go (Live Royal Oak 2000)

If you don't have it, get it! Here's a link to it on [ame="http://www.amazon.com/No-Fun-Aloud-Glenn-Frey/dp/B000002H12/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1275032370&sr=8-1"]Amazon[/ame].

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

LOVE THIS ALBUM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Glennhoney View Post
    LOVE THIS ALBUM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    So do I!!! I think that The One You Love has to be my favorite Glenn solo song.

Stuck on the Border

I love the album too; I just wish I could think of something new to say about it.