Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: What band/artist are you into at the moment?

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: What band/artist are you into at the moment?

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Come Lately View Post
    Recently I've been begun to discover Deep Purple (Mk2 version with Ian Gillan and Roger Glover). I became curious about their music after watching a really interesting BBC documentary about hard rock and early heavy metal which featured a fair bit of their music. So I've only really heard the Machine Head album - my favourite song so far has been Highway Star (those guitar and organ solos are awesome!). I intend to buy this when I get the chance along with Wishbone Ash's debut album which I have also been impressed by, I found Argus in my Dad's CD collection and downloaded Pilgrimage but nowadays prefer to buy most of my music on CD, unless I consider it a low importance release, like Pink Floyd's More soundtrack or Led Zeppelin's Coda.

Apart from this I've mainly listened to my established favourites lately. Forum regulars will probably know these by now but in case you don't know these are: Bob Dylan, Dire Straits/Mark Knopfler, Eagles (of course), Fleetwood Mac, Led Zeppelin, Neil Young and Pink Floyd.
    My husband will tell you you need to hear Made In Japan for the definitive version of Highway Star.

Border Troubadour

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Come Lately View Post
    ... I became curious about their music after watching a really interesting BBC documentary about hard rock and early heavy metal which featured a fair bit of their music. So I've only really heard the Machine Head album - my favourite song so far has been Highway Star (those guitar and organ solos are awesome!).
    I've seen a BBC documentary on that sort of topic before, is it called Heavy Metal Britannia or something like that? Early heavy metal (the intentional bands like Sabbath and Priest, not Led Zeppelin and Deep Purple-esque work) and NWOBHM is my favourite period of any genre ever so I found it quite fun viewing.

Also, I will agree on Highway Star: for me Jon Lord is the only rock pianist who could go toe-to-toe with Rick Wakeman.

Border Desperado SilverAcidRayne's Avatar

I've been getting into Vanilla Fudge lately... i'm fascinated with music of that era. very different and cool

Stuck on the Border Jonny Come Lately's Avatar
    Watching the hazy sun sinking in the sea in England

Quote Originally Posted by thelastresort View Post
    I've seen a BBC documentary on that sort of topic before, is it called Heavy Metal Britannia or something like that? Early heavy metal (the intentional bands like Sabbath and Priest, not Led Zeppelin and Deep Purple-esque work) and NWOBHM is my favourite period of any genre ever so I found it quite fun viewing.

Also, I will agree on Highway Star: for me Jon Lord is the only rock pianist who could go toe-to-toe with Rick Wakeman.
    Yes, I think that's what the documentary was called. I definitely remember Jon Lord speaking about trying to ensure that he got heard over Ritchie Blackmore's guitar. Other highlights included one guitarist (can't recall which band he was in) playing the Whole Lotta Love riff, Lemmy's model railway locomotive being repainted with Motorhead insignia and a photo of Black Sabbath getting a chicken to smoke a cigarette!

I agree that there is a difference between the intentional heavy metal bands and the hard rock bands which sometimes get mentioned alongside them. I've sometimes seen references to the 'unholy trinity of heavy metal albums' of Led Zeppelin IV, Black Sabbath's Paranoid and Deep Purple's Machine Head when only Sabbath were truly in that category. Having said that, considering that some people think Bon Jovi are a heavy metal band, you could say that by that standard Purple and Zeppelin are metal through and through...

Stuck on the Border

Led Zeppelin IV is not a heavy metal album.

Blackberry Smoke. Awesome band in the vain of Lynyrd Skynyrd, Marshall Tucker, Outlaws, Molly Hatchet, Blackfoot, Black Crowes, etc.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Quote Originally Posted by WalshFan88 View Post
    Blackberry Smoke. Awesome band in the vain of Lynyrd Skynyrd, Marshall Tucker, Outlaws, Molly Hatchet, Blackfoot, Black Crowes, etc.
    I really like BS too! They have been as close to me as Columbia, MO (95 miles) and in a very small venue and I missed them.

ETA: Last time I saw a concert on tv, they all had VERY long hair! Reminded me of the Allman Brothers!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

I've always liked Spandau Ballet, they are an 80s band I grew up with but like so many of the bands of the 80s they too split for a while. But after the last concert and the Meet and Greet I've been checking out more of their music. They are also playing a lot of gigs at the moment - In the States this month - check them out if they are playing near you. You will NOT be disappointed.

They are also very interactive with the crowds and very approachable according to other people I have chatted to on their FB page.

And on a purely shallow note, their vocalist Tony Hadley plays Golf! Now I am imagining a dream celebrity tournament......!!
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

I have been really into the Doobie Brothers and not their main stream hits but all the different songs on the albums. Very awesome and if you want a great survey of their variety, get Wolf Trap concert.

Since I won tickets to see Def Leppard in October we have been pulling our DF CD's out and listening to them too