Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Glyn Johns autobiography

Default Re: Glyn Johns autobiography

Thanks for the heads up! I'm only interested in his work with the Eagles, but I may buy it just for that part alone. I have a feeling he won't have too many kind words for them with the exception of Bernie, though. lol

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border Tiffanny Twisted's Avatar

Thanks
    I will put it on the list
    I love to rwad and he's been with a lot of people

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Yep - thanks for the heads up, ss. He should have a pretty interesting story to tell, for sure!

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border

From amazon

US: released 13th November for hardcover and kindle
    UK: kindle release on 13th November, hardcover on 4th December

Here's a new interview with Glyn Johns
    http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-en...s-9830884.html

Unfortunately, it seems that the book may be disappointing for those of us who'd like some gossip.
    “Part of my job has always been to respect the privacy of the artists. It’s like the doctor’s surgery or the confessional – unless you don’t like them, of course…”
    And another:
    http://www.musicradar.com/news/guita...und-man-609483

"Often the drummer in the band I'm working with wants me to make him sound like Bonham. I can't do that because he’s not Bonham.
    Last edited by UndertheWire; 11-05-2014 at 11:14 AM.

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Interesting! I would bet he has some stories to tell, but it sounds like we may only get things we've heard before.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
    "Often the drummer in the band I'm working with wants me to make him sound like Bonham. I can't do that because he’s not Bonham.
    This reminded me of Don H saying in HotE that he wanted more microphones on the drums & Glyn Johns told him if he wanted them louder to hit them harder. Don said he hit them harder, but he still couldn't hit them as hard as Bonham.

Stuck on the Border

To me that story relates specifically to Don Henley who has told it himself. For Johns to generalise in that way & say 'often' the drummer wants to sound like John Bonham' doesn't seem right. I find it hard to believe that applied as 'often' as he claims.

Stuck on the Border

Another Glyn Johns interview:
    It's the same with The Eagles. When The Eagles moved on, there was a disagreement with the direction that I wanted to continue with them on and what Glenn Frey wanted. As I say in the book, I don't blame him at all. He did what he felt was necessary. He felt I was holding him back in some way, so they went on and had tremendous success and they didn't need me at all. They needed me like a bloody hole in the head. Again, I'm terribly proud of the records I made with them and I think hopefully I was instrumental in some degree to the success they had later because they had a sort of springboard to jump off of, if you know what I mean.
    The first Eagles album, the first Joan Armatrading album we just talked about, I got really excited about both of those because we were on to something really amazing. Particularly not just because the artists were so extraordinary but because I felt that something had clicked with the sound I was getting. I was really happy with it sonically and I felt what I was doing was doing the music justice in a way that was very satisfying.
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mike-r...b_6143126.html

And more:
    He said some acts stopped working with him because he wouldn't allow them to get high during recording sessions.
    "I wouldn't let The Eagles have any drugs in the studio and in the end that was part of my reason for being fired" after producing their first two albums, he said.
    Still, he noted that their next album, "Hotel California," was a smash hit — and "Sound Man" is full of such even-handed assessments.
    http://news.yahoo.com/rock-soundman-...123628055.html
    Last edited by UndertheWire; 11-12-2014 at 07:20 AM.

Thanks UTW! I might not be buying the book if there's no new info in it, though.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten