Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Literary Lyrics

Default Literary Lyrics

I was just listening to the song "I Will Not Go Quietly" and it struck me that the lyric "I ain't no tiger, ain't no little lamb" might have been a reference to William Blake's famous companion poems "The Tyger" and "The Lamb" in Songs of Experience and Songs of Innocence, respectively. It's especially appropriate since it's off of Don's End of the Innocence album and the poems are a direct contrast between the innocence of the "little lamb" and the fierceness of the "tiger, tiger burning bright" - both created by the same God. Pretty freaking cool, if I'm right - and judging from Don's literary leanings, I think the odds are good that I am.

Inspired by this, I thought it would be fun to start a thread about literary references in Eagles or solo songs. Any favorites?

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Literary Lyrics

Soda, you know my favourite is 'let's kill all the lawyers' from Get Over It which originates from Henry VI Part 2:
    All:
    God save your majesty!

Cade:
    I thank you, good people—there shall be no money; all shall eat
    and drink on my score, and I will apparel them all in one livery,
    that they may agree like brothers, and worship me their lord.

Dick:
    The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers.

Cade:
    Nay, that I mean to do.

Henry The Sixth, Part 2 Act 4, scene 2, 71–78

While I am not a great fan of the line 'someone show me how to tell the dancer from the dance' in Saturday Night, I am a fan of the man who wrote the original, W.B. Yeats:

Labour is blossoming or dancing where
    The body is not bruised to pleasure soul.
    Nor beauty born out of its own despair,
    Nor blear-eyed wisdom out of midnight oil.
    O chestnut-tree, great-rooted blossomer,
    Are you the leaf, the blossom or the bole?
    O body swayed to music, O brightening glance,
    How can we know the dancer from the dance?

Stanza 8 of Among School Children (The Tower, 1928 )

I don't know if the title of Glenn's song Brave New World is taken from Shakespeare's The Tempest or Aldous Huxley's book. It's a common phrase.

MIRANDA       Oh, wonder!
    How many goodly creatures are there here!
    How beauteous mankind is! O brave new world,
    That has such people in ’t!

Act 5 Scene 1

I should also say that in 1977 I found it astounding that a pop song would use the phrase 'great expectations' (Charles Dickens) & that was one aspect which eventually led to the song becoming my favourite Eagles song.

Border Rebel

I believe the line "beating ploughshares into swords" is a play on a biblical reference but I couldn't quote chapter and verse.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by maryc2130 View Post
    I believe the line "beating ploughshares into swords" is a play on a biblical reference but I couldn't quote chapter and verse.
    And he shall judge among the nations, and shall rebuke many people: and they shall beat their swords into plowshares, and their spears into pruninghooks: nation shall not lift up sword against nation, neither shall they learn war any more.

Isiaah 2 (King James Version)

Another of my favourites is 'so hungry & so lean' from James Dean which always reminds me of Glenn himself and is originally from Shakespeare's Julius Caesar:

CAESAR (aside to ANTONY) Let me have men about me that are fat,
    Sleek-headed men and such as sleep a-nights.
    Yond Cassius has a lean and hungry look.
    He thinks too much. Such men are dangerous.

Act 2 Scene 1

Then there is 'what a tangled web we weave' from Saturday Night which many think is Shakespeare but which is actually Sir Walter Scott:

Oh what a tangled web we weave,
    When first we practise to deceive!Sir Walter Scott, Marmion, Canto vi. Stanza 17.

And I know that The Boys Of Summer is the title of a book about baseball. For some reason I have always thought the image doesn't work in the song as well as it should. But looking at Wikipedia it appears that the line comes from Dylan Thomas!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Boy...mer_%28book%29

http://www.internal.org/Dylan_Thomas...Boys_of_Summer

Border Troubadour

There's a Biblical reference in On the Border - 'I'm tryin' to change this water to wine'. There's also a direct reference to Psalm 23 (The Lord is my shepherd etc) in Long Road Out of Eden.

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

All of No More Walks In The Woods falls into this category.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Stuck on the Border

Maybe someone can do the work for me on this one.

In a 1979 interview, Jim Ladd says that "Prisoners of our own devise" was lifted from The Doors' "Unhappy Girl". Don objects and says it comes from Lord Byron and it came to him via Eve Babitz. My googling has yet to yield a Byron version.

Next up, does anyone know the origins of "Too fast to live, too young to die". Apart from the Eagles' "James Dean" lyric, it is associated with Malcom McClaren and the British Punk movement (shop name from 1973, title of biography of Sid Vicious).

As for biblical references, an obvious one is "His jacuzzi runneth over."

Psalms 23:5 (King James Version):
    Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over.

Border Rebel

This is a great discussion. "Learn to Be still" also has a biblical reference:

"When he disembarked and saw the vast crowd, his heart was moved with pity for them, for they were like sheep without a shepherd."

Mark 6:30-34

Apparently, it's often used as a metaphor for war or spiritual combat.

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Just hearing Learn to Be Still reminds me of my favorite Biblical passage, Psalm 46:10. "Be still and know that I am God." It's how I try to live my life as a Christian. Be Still. To me, it has always meant a lot of things, and I find it very relevant to my life at the moment as I go through a transition on the job front, and from that, even where I'm to live. Every time I worry about the future, or wonder what I should be doing, the message is Be Still. When I calm myself down and put it in God's hands, amazing things happen.

To me, that's what Learn To Be Still is about. Following the voices in your head, looking for greener pastures, instead of waiting on what's right means you'll never be happy. The second verse is easy, when you don't calm down and wait for the Shepherd to lead you and you follow any old voice, you follow the wrong gods home and again, you'll never be happy.

Wandering around the desert and following the wrong god could be a reference to the Israelites worshiping the golden calf while Moses was on the mountain getting the ten commandments.

There is no one Biblical passage that I can remember that sums it all up and makes this 'literary'. On the other hand, one of the best verses a Christian should live, IMO, is to remember or to learn to Be Still.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Border Rebel

VA, it reminds me a little of the line in For My Wedding:

"To want what I have and take what I'm given with grace..."

I'm not overly religious but that line has always touched me, and I do TRY to live like that. (Emphasis on try, it's not easy! )