Page 251 of 273 FirstFirst ... 151201241247248249250251252253254255261 ... LastLast
Results 2,501 to 2,510 of 2722

Thread: Discussion of Eagles Documentary "History of the Eagles"

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Discussion of Eagles Documentary "History of the Eagles"

In terms of chords a "seventh" can mean at least two things.

1) It can be the 7th note of a scale, on top of which a chord is constructed. In the C major scale the 7th note is B. If you build a chord on that with the notes of this major scale, it's going to be a diminished chord. However, in rock music a major chord built on the "flat 7th" is very common. (Bb major, if we're in C). This cannot be heard in the Chuck Berry classics - which are based on the I, IV, V chords (C major, F major and G major if we're in C). It became common later (Kinks, Hendrix...).

2) Like was already pointed out, when you add another note to a triad (a 3rd above the previous note), you're going to have a chord that is called "something" seventh. In "traditional" chords the next note is always a 3rd above the previous one.

So, the "7th" here could mean that the "7th" shouldn't be added to any chord, or it could mean that a major chord based on the "flat 7th" of the scale shouldn't be used. But they used another chord in the chorus anyway that isn't common in Chuck Berry classics as far as I now - a major chord built on the flat 3rd.
    Of course, people who didn't know this already won't have a clue what I was just talking about.

You're doing a good job of explaining it. A non-expert like me can follow you!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

That was very informative!

Unfortunately for me since day one of playing guitar theory was well above my head. I took lessons for one day.

I take the Keith Richards and Joe Walsh selftaught bluesy approach to playing guitar. Probably couldn't be a studio musician but at least I can play that rock n' roll!

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Thanks for the explanation, chaim. I kinda followed along, but I'm sure it makes a lot more sense to some of our more musically inclined members than it does to me!

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Border Troubadour

Watching Part 2 now and I think 10-6 or 5-6 refers to the actual time. Henley's writing and Glenn says 'It's ten to six! You can sing it at ten to six or five to six!'.

Here are some audio examples of 7th chords.

http://www.easyeartraining.com/learn...eventh-chords/

I always think of 7th chords as 'expectant' chords, as in, something's going to happen. Think of the old time organ music they used to play during soap operas just before somebody divulged a secret!
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Stuck on the Border MaryCalifornia's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by thelastresort View Post
    Watching Part 2 now and I think 10-6 or 5-6 refers to the actual time. Henley's writing and Glenn says 'It's ten to six! You can sing it at ten to six or five to six!'.
    OMG too funny. Here we are trying to figure out the musical significance of the fast bass playing and the 10-to-6 and all they're talking about is the time! Good call, TLR!

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Prettymaid View Post
    Here are some audio examples of 7th chords.

http://www.easyeartraining.com/learn...eventh-chords/

I always think of 7th chords as 'expectant' chords, as in, something's going to happen. Think of the old time organ music they used to play during soap operas just before somebody divulged a secret!
    Yeah, I think Wagner is celebrated as one of the first composers who often didn't resolve the so called dominant 7th chords "correctly". Someone like Debussy did what he pleased with them later. This is where I have a tiny problem. When I was a teenager my grandma had me take some keyboard lessons (a tune with the right hand and chords with the left), but at the same time I started to teach myself to play guitar, because it was my true love. I'm glad I had some keyboard lessons though. But anyway, when I was a teenager I used to, for example, listen to Bernard Herrmann's film music and play along by ear - and have a fantastic time. At that point, if I played or heard a "Bb7" chord, it could go anywhere after that in my mind. But later, when I was forced to take some theory listens (for certain reasons...) I kind of lost that. Today when I hear, for example, a Bb7 chord, I hear the "correct" E flat major chord after that. And I hate this, because it's a drag when I'm writing music!! There are enough songs already where the chord is resolved "correctly"!

To think about it now. Get Over It is kinda fast when it comes to singing the lyrics.

Is their any other Eagle song that kinda fast like when you singing the words?

Did anyone but me notice that HOTE is now available for streaming on Netflix?? I noticed this for the 1st time yesterday. Pathetically I actually got excited about this. You mean I can be super lazy and not even put in a DVD to see this!?! Yeah. I started watching it again last night and imagine I'll be watching it even more then I already do!

Wintertime is a razor blade that the devil made
    It's the price we pay for the summertime - J.W. '69