Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Eagles Guitars (and a whole lotta info!)

Default Re: Eagles Guitars (and a whole lotta info!)

I'm not sure, I'm not really up to snuff on Tak's as I am Gibsons, Fenders, Martins, or Taylors...... I'll do some research.

Stuck on the Border

When did the band (or just Glenn) start playing Takamines? When people talked about the endorsement, I assumed it was a 90s deal but it seems it goes back to the early seventies.

In an article on Frank Walecki:
    At 19 years old, Walecki took over the store when rock ‘n’ roll was enjoying its Golden Age; during that time, he and his business transformed into one of the rock stars’ most trusted sources for any repair or sale of music-making equipment.
    It was a time when Walecki said he helped The Eagles’ Glenn Frey get an endorsement from Takamine Guitars that kept the new band afloat, and he remembers sniping back and forth with the Grateful Dead’s roadies about whose 20-foot coiled guitar cable was superior.
    http://www.malibusurfsidenews.com/ma...tino%E2%80%99s

The article also has about the benefit concert for Walecki that Bernie Leadon organised (Don Felder mentions it in his book). For me, it's neat to see that Andy Fairweather Low was the rhythm guitarist for the event as I saw him play a couple of weeks ago. AFL only used three different guitars for the entire 2+ hour set (a Gibson, a white stratocaster and a battered accoustic held together by gaffer tape).

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Yeah - UTW, I can't say for sure, but I would guess that Glenn and/or Bernie played Takemine's probably even pre-Eagles.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Quote Originally Posted by UndertheWire View Post
    When did the band (or just Glenn) start playing Takamines? When people talked about the endorsement, I assumed it was a 90s deal but it seems it goes back to the early seventies.

In an article on Frank Walecki:

http://www.malibusurfsidenews.com/ma...tino%E2%80%99s

The article also has about the benefit concert for Walecki that Bernie Leadon organised (Don Felder mentions it in his book). For me, it's neat to see that Andy Fairweather Low was the rhythm guitarist for the event as I saw him play a couple of weeks ago. AFL only used three different guitars for the entire 2+ hour set (a Gibson, a white stratocaster and a battered accoustic held together by gaffer tape).
    I believe that Glenn is playing a 12-string Takamine acoustic in Don Kirshner's Rock Concert

Glenn played a Martin in the early days of the Eagles. BBC concert especially. Although in the HC music video he plays a Martin too.

I think Takamine probably was in the 70s too, but definitely gained prominence in the 90s. I have no dog in the fight of Tak's being played but I found it interesting that Glenn said when Felder smashed his guitar at Long Beach it was his cheapest - and Don said it was a Takamine in his book. And then the whole deal about Don didn't want to give Bill Clinton a Tak. So I think it's purely endorsement. A lot of the guitar world is like that. Obviously they have to be good enough to play, but a Takamine or an Alvarez will never be the quality of Martin or Taylor or Gibson.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Here's an interesting tidbit. I was watching the TLR music video and I'm pretty sure the Esquire (Tele with only one pickup) that Glenn is playing he later modified with the humbucker pickup in the front and used in his solo career and in the Long Run performance on F1.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Stuck on the Border Jonny Come Lately's Avatar
    Watching the hazy sun sinking in the sea in England

Hi Austin/WF88,

I've listened to You Never Cry Like A Lover a few times lately and I really love the lead guitar on it. I assume it is played by Bernie with Glenn playing the piano parts, but do you have any idea which model he (or indeed Glenn if it is him) uses on this song? I am aware that his usual guitar for his Eagles studio work in the '70s was a Fender Telecaster but this sounds a bit different to his usual sound (e.g. Peaceful Easy Feeling, Tequila Sunrise) to me. I think it sounds a bit like a Fender Stratocaster but am not an expert on distinguishing the sounds of different guitars so would love to get some clarification on this.

Thanks,
    Jonny

Sorry for being so late on a response. 2015 proved to be a very crappy year for me and and I've been overly busy with personal matters.

I don't know exactly what guitar but it sounds definitively single coil to me, and Tele like. If it was Bernie it would definitely be a Telecaster, otherwise I think Glenn's LP Junior can get close.

Unfortunately Bernie's gear isn't well documented as well as Felder and Walsh's, even Frey's. The HOTE stuff is easier but the 70s Leadon era stuff is hard to come across.

I do know he was a fan of the guitar made by Dave Evans with butcher block wood and a B Bender that you can see on the BBC recording.

Also, I will be updating this thread very soon, and feature more BL info including the stuff he used on the HOTE tours.

Also, anyone seeing any "new guitars" of the guys not mentioned on the first page, please post them here so I can add them. If you are not sure if it's on there, post it anyway and I will check.

I'm adding Joe's new signature Duesenberg.

I will also be adding more amplifier details very soon, in addition to just checking what they all used on the last HOTE run to make sure I'm updated.

It's been awhile since I've went over the page so I will edit as needed.

Stuck on the Border

The intro/chorus lead guitar in YNCLAL sounds definitely like a Telecaster to my ears. But I have to say that when I listen to the actual solo, it could be a Stratocaster too. I'm not an expert on guitar sounds.