Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hey ya'll

Stuck on the Border Jonny Come Lately's Avatar
    Watching the hazy sun sinking in the sea in England

Default Re: Hey ya'll

A belated welcome from me too, this is a pretty great place to talk about all things Eagles.

From reading your first post I agree with your statement about late 60s and 1970s rock music. For me the golden era is probably from 1965 - the release of Bob Dylan's Highway 61 Revisited and Like A Rolling Stone - through to 1979/80 (a lot of my personal favourite bands released albums in 1979 but several of them broke up shortly after, or went into decline).

May I ask if you have a particular favourite Eagles album? And what are your other favourite bands/artists or albums?

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Come Lately View Post
    A belated welcome from me too, this is a pretty great place to talk about all things Eagles.

From reading your first post I agree with your statement about late 60s and 1970s rock music. For me the golden era is probably from 1965 - the release of Bob Dylan's Highway 61 Revisited and Like A Rolling Stone - through to 1979/80 (a lot of my personal favourite bands released albums in 1979 but several of them broke up shortly after, or went into decline).

May I ask if you have a particular favourite Eagles album? And what are your other favourite bands/artists or albums?
    Favorite Eagles aibum? That's tough. I love all of their albums very much, but Hotel California or One of these Nights is my favorite.

Here's a list of my favorite bands:
    Bad Company
    Fleetwood Mac
    Free
    Eagles
    Def Leppard
    Anything Stephen Stills has done
    Iron Maiden
    Styx
    Lynyrd Skynyrd
    Ac/dc
    Anything of Eric Clapton's
    Black Sabbath
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Welcome from me as well, AG95. Hanging out on The Border is a good place to be if you want to talk about the Eagles. Enjoy!

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    Welcome from me as well, AG95. Hanging out on The Border is a good place to be if you want to talk about the Eagles. Enjoy!
    Thanks Dreamer! I've been enjoying myself so far!
    -Kim-

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Welcome, Kim! Be sure to check out the Eagles on the Road forum - you'll find a thread with two unreleased songs by our guys, one of which is called "Georgia Peach." That could be your theme song. No one has been able to figure out the lyrics though, cause the sound is so bad. If any of us ever has the chance to meet Bernie, we ought to ask him about it

P.S. Kim, it gives me hope for the future when a young whippersnapper such as yourself lists "anything Stephen Stills has done" among her favorite music.

Quote Originally Posted by NightMistBlue View Post
    Welcome, Kim! Be sure to check out the Eagles on the Road forum - you'll find a thread with two unreleased songs by our guys, one of which is called "Georgia Peach." That could be your theme song. No one has been able to figure out the lyrics though, cause the sound is so bad. If any of us ever has the chance to meet Bernie, we ought to ask him about it

P.S. Kim, it gives me hope for the future when a young whippersnapper such as yourself lists "anything Stephen Stills has done" among her favorite music.

Thanks NMB! I've got to hear the audio to that song, regardless of how poor the quality is.

Stephen's music has been in my life a little bit longer than the Eagles'. I canremember hearing For What Its Worth by Buffalo Springfield at the age of 6 and loving the guitar sound. When I became a teenager, I began to love the lyrics to that song and I statted looking up Stephen's other work. I discovered CSN/Y, Manassas and his solo work and I love 90% of it! The lyric "She is all that I have left and music is her name" from Southern Cross describes my teenage years. Music was my only friend, and that lyric really touches home to me.
    -Kim-

Yes, Southern Cross is brilliant. It's said that Stephen wrote that during his first divorce. He was so broken down, he went sailing and got as far away from everything as he could.

I'm now learning about Stills' work with Buffalo Springfield (aside from "For What's It Worth" - that was the only song I knew from the band for decades!). There's a song he did called "Bluebird" that's just brilliant.

Here's a very cool demo recording of Southern Cross: https://youtu.be/kDoZ3z0ET6Y
    Bluebird is a great song! For What Its Worth, Bluebird and Broken A4row are probably my top 3 Buffalo Springfield songs.
    -Kim-

I'm dying to hear the song "Seven League Boots" by the Curtis Brothers that Stephen modeled this on, but I can't find it anywhere. Have you heard it, Kim? Maybe Sodascouts has - she's a Fleetwood Mac gal, and Buckingham/Nicks recorded with the Curtis Bros.

From Wikipedia: Southern Cross is based on the song "Seven League Boots" by Rick and Michael Curtis. Stills explained, "The Curtis Brothers brought a wonderful song called 'Seven League Boots,' but it drifted around too much. I rewrote a new set of words and added a different chorus, a story about a long boat trip I took after my divorce (his first wife, singer-songwriter Véronique Sanson). It's about using the power of the universe to heal your wounds. Once again, I was given somebody's gem and cut and polished it."

P.S. "For What It's Worth" is supposedly a rewrite of the Moby Grape song, "Murder in My Heart for the Judge."
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xEbbyKJ0mk

It was on youtube a few years ago. I remember listening to it after watching a live video of Southern Cross. I liked it, though not as much as Southern Cross. I can't find it now, though.
    I knew that he took some of the song and used it for the basis of Southern Cross.

I didn't know that Buckingham Nicks recorded with them. I consider myself a pretty big Mac fan as well. I should have the Buckingham Nicks album on vinyl next month.

I can hear some similarities between the Moby Grape song and For What Its Worth.
    -Kim-